How much does a 4R70W weigh?

DysfunktinaL

LVC Member
Reaction score
I need to replace my trans and I need to know how much it weighs because I'll probably be doing the work myself with the help of a couple friends.

Anyone have a link for a walkthrough on replacing the 4R70W on a '95 Mark?

If you want an exact weight I have one sitting in my garage. I can lift one with a convertor by myself.

Replacing it isn't all that hard, but will take a while.

Get the car lifted at all four corners with jack stand, don't just lift one end of the car.
Pull the wiper cowl while the car is still down along with the top two tranny bolts.
Remove the exhaust
Remove the driveshaft
Unbolt the shift linkages, cooler lines, electrical connections
Unbolt and move the filler tube to the side.
Unbolt the torque converter bolts from the flex plate, and make sure that it is loose from the flexplate.
Remove the starter, or at least unbolt it.
Unbolt and Remove all the bellhousing bolts, and then support the tranny with a jack or a few buddies.
Unbolt the rear crossmember
Drop it down and reinstall.

I would recomend adding a new cooler at this time to help prolng the new tranny's life, and flush the lines out really good.

Unbolt the tor

You need about 3 feet of extensions to get at the top 3 bolts (IIRC) on the bellhousing and a decent swivel at the end to hold it's position while you line up the socket.

I'm so spoiled being able to put the car on a lift. On the ground, on stands, feeling your pain.

yeah but we always guess lol never actually weighed one. we always put down 150 with a pallet to be safe.

Members online

No members online now.
Back