How many time have U replace the degas bottle

Nothing but bad things to say about the Dorman brand i believe save yourself the headache.

Link for the OEM im ordering this one as ive replaced the bottle twice already Dorman is GARBAGE.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-THUNDE...:Lincoln|Model:LS&hash=item35b7588103&vxp=mtr

Looks like if you order from Tasca's website you have to order the hoses as separately. Is it recommended that the hoses are replaced when the bottle is replaced?

http://www.tascaparts.com/parts/2000/LINCOLN/LS/?siteid=213668&vehicleid=1363632&diagram=KD00130

Do LVC members still receive a discount from Max?

Looks like if you order from Tasca's website you have to order the hoses as separately. Is it recommended that the hoses are replaced when the bottle is replaced?

Read again the hoses are included.

Read again the hoses are included.

Thanks, I have trouble reading sometimes and I missed where it said the hoses were included with the reservoir. :rolleyes: Even though the diagram shows them as a unit, number 4, the reservoir doesn't say they come with the hoses(I am referring to Tasca's website). Emphasis added below.

If you add up the reservoir and hoses the total comes out to 134.87 while the eBay listing is for 134.79.

[ 3 ] COOLING SYSTEM / COOLING / RADIATOR & COMPONENTS / Radiator lower insulator
radiator lower insulator 3.9 LITER Left
MSRP Core ? Online Price
$12.13 $0.00 $8.01

[ 3 ] COOLING SYSTEM / COOLING / RADIATOR & COMPONENTS / Radiator lower insulator
radiator lower insulator 3.9 LITER Right

MSRP Core ? Online Price
$12.13 $0.00 $8.01

[ 4 ] COOLING SYSTEM / COOLING / RADIATOR & COMPONENTS / Reservoir
reservoir 3.9 LITER

MSRP Core ? Online Price
$179.95 $0.00 $118.77

tasca.gif

Is replacing the Degas bottle something a monkey (basic tool set - jack & stands) like me could do?

From what I've read, the driver wheel has to come off to gain access to a bottom bolt of some sort.

It's under pressure.

If you put something on the bottle it may make it worse. Just replace the bottle before ur happens and you will be ok for awhile. It also happens to the rest of the cooling system eventually. Just a common LS issue.
I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. I'm talking about getting a brand new bottle, and dipping the entire thing in something like an epoxy or something that will coat the entire exterior.

I'm starting to hate this forum... every new post tells me of something else I should be worried about on my car. I'm glad I don't read the Navigator forum as thoroughly as I read this one.

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. I'm talking about getting a brand new bottle, and dipping the entire thing in something like an epoxy or something that will coat the entire exterior.

I'm starting to hate this forum... every new post tells me of something else I should be worried about on my car. I'm glad I don't read the Navigator forum as thoroughly as I read this one.

I understand completely. That's why I said what I said. The bottle isn't just an overflow bottle it's actually a pressure regulator and it physically contrasts and expands. I would think that coating the bottle with something would prevent it from doing so and make it fail early.

Yeah the LS has its flaws but if you read up and perform the fixes that others do you can save yourself time money and headaches. By simply replacing the bottle you should be good for another 50-100k miles.

I understand completely. That's why I said what I said. The bottle isn't just an overflow bottle it's actually a pressure regulator and it physically contrasts and expands. I would think that coating the bottle with something would prevent it from doing so and make it fail early.

Yeah the LS has its flaws but if you read up and perform the fixes that others do you can save yourself time money and headaches. By simply replacing the bottle you should be good for another 50-100k miles.
Interesting... No wonder it fails. Why is this supposed to be better than just a reservoir? I understand they don't want bubbles, but couldn't they have just used something similar to the old radiator caps that control pressure?

Interesting... No wonder it fails. Why is this supposed to be better than just a reservoir? I understand they don't want bubbles, but couldn't they have just used something similar to the old radiator caps that control pressure?

The cap on the degas bottle does regulate pressure, just like a radiator cap.

Using a pressurized reservoir (instead of the old open air overflow jug) reduces the evaporation rate of the coolant, so you don't have to add coolant every so often like we did in the "good ole days."

Ok, well it sounds like they've got to come to a compromise somewhere. I'd rather add fluid than replace a part. Have they fixed this problem on the newer cars? Can I get one from a 2012 vehicle and use it somehow without this issue?

There is no 2012 vehicle that uses this bottle.

I believe the cap is the same thats used on 4.6 engines and other fords but the actual bottle is only used with the LS and the Thunderbird. Even the S-Type uses a different bottle.

If there was another fix the entire forum would have done it already. Lots of fixes/mods originated here on LVC.

215,000 miles replaced once around 185,000 miles w/ generic tank

So far no problems, but I have an OEM tank in my SCHIT N box :eek:...
(Special Container Holding Items Til Needed);)

There is no 2012 vehicle that uses this bottle.

I believe the cap is the same thats used on 4.6 engines and other fords but the actual bottle is only used with the LS and the Thunderbird. Even the S-Type uses a different bottle.

If there was another fix the entire forum would have done it already. Lots of fixes/mods originated here on LVC.
Well not an exact fit... but something similar that may be adapted? Do they still do this on the newer vehicles?

Well not an exact fit... but something similar that may be adapted? Do they still do this on the newer vehicles?

Yes, if by "this" you mean pressurized degas bottles or reservoirs. In fact, my 94 Grand Marquis had this setup, so they've been doing it at least that long. However, I haven't seen any others that have it up by the windshield. Even the gen II S-types had it by the radiator, like most other cars.

Yes, if by "this" you mean pressurized degas bottles or reservoirs. In fact, my 94 Grand Marquis had this setup, so they've been doing it at least that long. However, I haven't seen any others that have it up by the windshield. Even the gen II S-types had it by the radiator, like most other cars.

It's next to the brake booster on my Navigator, though the hose going to it is much larger from what I can see. Maybe I should check the new MKCraps to see if one of them has a similar one.

Pressurized systems have gone back many decades. Back in the 80's the adoption of a coolant recovery system was used where the plastic reservoir was not pressurized, but the radiator cap was designed to allow fluid that was expended during hot temperatures to return to the cooling system. This was the first attempt to develop a system that reduced entrained air and prevent hot spots.

The degas bottle is the newer method and is used on many makes and models of cars and trucks going back a decade or so. It's location is dependent of where there is room and second, being above the highest point of any coolant passage with the possible exception of the heater core.

cooling.jpg

remove_right_degass_bolt.jpg

modification-pmm1.jpg

picture.jpg

All of these are designed to fit the specific application and you're not going to find one that you can adapt to the Lincoln LS.

The problem with the LS is that Jaguar/Ford selected a poor company to produce the plastic cooling parts. Other Ford vehicle platforms and manufacturers have had much better results with a lower percentage of issues. If Ford did /would do any in-service changes to improve the product, it would have been while the vehicle was in production. Out of production, ain't going to happen unless there is impending recall.

Aftermarket companies like Dorman just go to their plastics supplier and tell them to make this part. They are going to be selling to the Used Car dealer and low cost DIY market so they sure are not going to do any research to improve over the OE item.

The LS is a high maintenance item. The plastic cooling system parts are going to last somewhere around 100k miles / 7 years give or take with the environmental and operational temperatures.

If you going to get all bunched up about the cooling bottle I would plan on replacing the LS with a more generic vehicle because you're not going to like dealing with the window regulators, COPs, suspension parts, dash plastic parts, HVAC control issues, clock spring, and on. Just MO.

If you going to get all bunched up about the cooling bottle I would plan on replacing the LS with a more generic vehicle because you're not going to like dealing with the window regulators, COPs, suspension parts, dash plastic parts, HVAC control issues, clock spring, and on. Just MO.
I'm not getting "all bunched up" about it. I'm trying to find a solution to a problem. I've been driving Lincolns for about 10 years now, and Fords much longer than that. Trust me, I've seen my share of problems. I also have a friend that owned an LS for 8 years before I bought mine, I knew exactly what I was getting into. I've been doing projects like this long enough to know that what the dealer, shop, part store says is not always the final or best answer. If you deal with me long enough you'll learn I'm not always up for whats most practical, but what's the best solution... even if that means going out of my way. Buying a 9 year old LS certainly qualifies for someone that is willing to do that.

BTW.. there's no possible way your LS (or anyones LS on this board for that matter) has had more problems than I experienced with my 89 Town Car when I sold it in 2008.

Edit: PS. Thanks for the info! :D

Trying to find a degas bottle from another vehicle that will fits directly into the LS, bonding epoxy to Poly-e, and thinking that the bottle controls pressure rather then it's cap, to me indicates you haven't been under a hood that much and throwing things on the wall.

The practical solution as mentioned is replacing the bottle with a new OE one for another 100k miles of carefree driving.

But now that I know you are a person who finds solutions rather then listening to a few knowledgeable people here giving you a practical answer I'll leave you alone. I'm all for R&D :D. The total solution would be to give the bottle to a fabricator to whip up a replacement in aluminum or stainless. I'll look for the one you have made.

Trying to find a degas bottle from another vehicle that will fits directly into the LS, bonding epoxy to Poly-e, and thinking that the bottle controls pressure rather then it's cap, to me indicates you haven't been under a hood that much and throwing things on the wall.

The practical solution as mentioned is replacing the bottle with a new OE one for another 100k miles of carefree driving.

But now that I know you are a person who finds solutions rather then listening to a few knowledgeable people here giving you a practical answer I'll leave you alone. I'm all for R&D :D. The total solution would be to give the bottle to a fabricator to whip up a replacement in aluminum or stainless. I'll look for the one you have made.
I never said the bottle controls pressure, that was a statement made by another member after I asked could the bottle be strengthened or made out of a more rigid material. True I don't have experience with this type of setup. Every car on which I've dealt with the cooling system had the old style with the pressurized radiator cap.

So now your info conflicts with another statement made prior to yours that the bottle cannot be rigid, and you expect me to take the advice of everyone that's giving it to me?

Check my history before you pass judgement. I'm new here. You know nothing of what I've done short of me buying an LS in the past two months. If everyone excepted status quo we'd all still be driving model T's..

I do find it odd how offense was taken to me asking if the bottle could be dipped in something harder than it is to strengthen it.

Now this is what I'm talking about! There may not be a direct replacement, but I bet I can figure out something that will work... if you don't like it, tough! :D

DSC02939.jpg

Ford Racing M-8080-A

Certainly, the degas bottle could be more rigid. I think that the point before is that the plastic bottle experiences changes in pressure and it does flex when that happens, not that it has to flex.

The key things that you need for a fabricated degas bottle to work are:

1. It needs to have the same or greater volume.
2. It needs to have the internal tube that goes to nearly the bottom of the bottle that is connected to the engine coolant air port.
3. It needs to have a 15/16 PSI pressure relief/regulating cap that vents when the pressure goes over 15 or 16 PSI, and that allows air back in when a vacuum starts to form.
4. It needs to be the high point of the cooling system (or at least as high as the present degas bottle).

It may be possible to rig something with the gen II jaguar S-type reservoir, but be aware that its plumbing is a lot different than the LS.

I'm just looking to the future. Not ready for this yet... mine hasn't failed yet. But these cars are getting older, and eventually we'll have to either find something that will work for many things or get rid of the car. When I get around to this, I'll likely look for an all aluminum radiator as well.

I was often told on my towncar there was nothing I could do about the awful hoses uses on its coolant system.. way too many special hoses, and the aftermarket hoses only lasted around 9 months. Despite the bad news from all the people I talked to, I found hoses at NAPA that were the same size, made for very high pressure (far beyond that of a car's coolant system), and made to withstand temps of over 400 degrees... I look at everything like that now. Just because its not common knowledge, doesn't mean an alternative doesn't exist.

If you can get a manufacturer to create aluminum bottles for us by all means have it and im sure everybody will want one.

I've been thinking just that. When it comes around, I will definitely look into it and ask around!

Members online

No members online now.
Back