How long did your store brand coils last you?

bl_rdrgz

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So my question to you all is simple. How long did your store brand coils last you? (Autozone,oreillys,Napa, etc.) my car just developed what I believe is a misfire. Randomly at various speeds a single or a few buck/jerk movement. I bought store brand coils. Well because I got discounts through there. I'm going on about 20k on the coils. So I'm thinking it's them. I get no cel or any other type of signal. Just the buck/jerk. I'm guessing coils. What's your input? And how long did your store brand coils last you?

doesn't advance auto carry a line or two with lifetime replacement warranties?

yep most of them have warranty. i have the ones from advance auto, the brand is bwd/intermotor <or is it bdw/intermotor> they have a lifetime warranty and they are on year two or three without issue. probably 25k-30k miles or so.

plenty of other things it could be.
are you regularly using 92+ gas? that will cause symptoms. run a bottle of injector cleaner thru it twice and always use the 92+.
dirty maf will do it. clean it.
dirty throttle body will do it. clean it.
spark plugs correctly gapped?
intake leak?
recent battery problems?
etc. there a lot of diff factors going into shift timings. your best bet is to keep conditions/sensors constant and clean so the computer doesnt try to think/compesate/'adapt' too much.

and did you replace all of your coils at once?

yep most of them have warranty. i have the ones from advance auto, the brand is bwd/intermotor <or is it bdw/intermotor> they have a lifetime warranty and they are on year two or three without issue. probably 25k-30k miles or so.

plenty of other things it could be.
are you regularly using 92+ gas? that will cause symptoms. run a bottle of injector cleaner thru it twice and always use the 92+.
dirty maf will do it. clean it.
dirty throttle body will do it. clean it.
spark plugs correctly gapped?
intake leak?
recent battery problems?
etc. there a lot of diff factors going into shift timings. your best bet is to keep conditions/sensors constant and clean so the computer doesnt try to think/compesate/'adapt' too much.

yea those are like $45-50/each - of course they're always running $50 off $125 purchase and **** like that

have you had to replace any of them? i'm wondering if you'd get the run around from AA...

the cheap ones on ebay/amazon have to be garbage, right?

... Randomly at various speeds a single or a few buck/jerk movement. ...

Sometimes, the RFI from a marginal coil will actually cause the PCM to reset midstream. The result of this is usually a slight hiccup now and then. This triggers no codes.
Of course, there are always other possibilities (but bad coils are most often the cause).

Yes I replaced all mine at the same time. And yes they have lifetime warranty. I haven't had a chance to really look into it yet. But no. No other problems. I've noticed a slight miss/ vibration at idle here recently though. So that's what makes me think it's the coils as well.

i have not had to replace any of the coils i got from advance.. the best way to buy them, if i remember right, was to break the purchase into multiple purchases if necessary. theres usually a 20 off 50 coupon or a 40 off 100. sometimes a 50 off 100. break it into multiple purchases, that way you can just use the coupon multiple times. search slickdeals.net for 'advance auto' for the latest coupons.
i have had some problems with returning or using warranty at advance.. def save your receipt, be patient, use your charm on the one female employee, or whatever works best for you. of all of the times i had to argue with someone there i win the war 100% of the time but i do lose about 15% of the battles. its kind of the luck fo the draw. theres like 10 stores in a 10 mile radius for me so its usually no sweat to find someone who is not a prick

call their 1800 if necessary. def need to know how to talk and stand your ground when youre right bc they might try to get you to walk away empty handed

Welp. Don't know if it's the coils. Yesterday there was a slight snow. And I mean slight. By today it's all gone. Car is running fine. Think it may have to do with the traction control.

In the 3 times that the dealer replaced faulty coils, I didn't notice any abnormal driving behavior in city/suburban driving, only a small reduction in mpg. However, when driving on a higher speed limit road and/or highway, when accelerating fast from like 40-45 mph to 55-60 mph, the car would start to jerk; that's when I took the car to the dealer and they established the cause as a faulty coil. Once they replaced the faulty coil and plug, car ran great again.
Note that Ford has an extended warranty on the coils - 10 years / 100K miles, whichever is first. In my case, the coil issues are still being addressed by the dealer at no cost, but they only replace the faulty coil and plug, rather than all of them, and that's OK with me while they do all this for free.

I...Note that Ford has an extended warranty on the coils - 10 years / 100K miles, whichever is first. In my case, the coil issues are still being addressed by the dealer at no cost, but they only replace the faulty coil and plug, rather than all of them, and that's OK with me while they do all this for free.

Note too that this is only for the 2004 V8 and the 2005 V8. (It applied to the 2003 V8 too, but most to all are out of time now.)

I'm out of warranty. All this is coming out of my pocket. Why does this car have to be so nice yet such a bitch? Lol

I have a 2004 V8. I am replacing coils as they fail, about 1 or 2 every year. I have gotten good at it. I really should just pop for a complete set, they are cheap enough on the web.

I have bought Autozone, Global from eBay and another lately from eBay forgot name(supposedly OEM). Also had a full set replaced by dealer under warranty back around 2005.

My experience so far is that all the dealer coils except #8 have failed. I have 2 Autozones that failed within a year. I just had one Global fail this summer after about 3 years in service.

The Globals cost $10 each but I don't think they carry our model any longer.

It seems the summer heat(SoCal) triggers any pending failures, never had a failure in cool weather.

I have been away from this website for about a year so need to catch up. If there is a need I can refer to my log book for specifics on which coils etc were replaced and or failed over the past few years.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

i'm a broken record here but i REALLY wish there was one coil thread to rule them all, stickied, so that we could all put our experiences with various coils on there.

would be very helpful to us all.

i'm a broken record here but i REALLY wish there was one coil thread to rule them all, stickied, so that we could all put our experiences with various coils on there.

would be very helpful to us all.

The title would be "Just buy oem coils".

Members online

No members online now.
Back