How Hot Is Too Hot

JERSEYJOE

LVC Member
Reaction score
The 93 has a temp guage that has a wide range for NORMAL. I noticed mine runs up almost to the N in NORMAL. This is close to the RED H for HOT. At the time I was driving about 80 MPH with the A/C on and it was about 85 outside. As I slowed down to 65 and shut the A/C off it ran cooler, like in the R in NORMAL. Around town it runs below half. To me is sems like either the radiator fins and or the A/ C condersor fins might be blocked, or the radiator has an internal blockage. Is there something else to check?

If you have never replaced your thermostat, I would say do that. Also make sure your electric fan is working properly. Are you leaking any coolant?

It sounds to me like you've just got a lot of air in your system.

I'm saying all this assuming the engine is hot.

Go under your hood and CAREFULLY unscrew the cap on the coolant crossover tube (the pipe in front of your alternator) using a ratchet. I recommend wrapping a rag around the cap before you start to unscrew it.

A lot of steam, and some coolant will come out. Add more coolant once things stop shooting out of there. Fill it all the way up till it's practically overflowing. Close everything up and hopefully this will be the end of it.

i have a 95 continetal
would i want to do the same thing to my car just curious was just wondering
and could someone show a picture perhaps of what needs to be done thank you

I had the same problem, so I did the water pump, coolant flush and T-state, and it still runs hot on a hot day with the A/C on and just below the "R" on a normal day. It has to be my radiator fines so I’m getting a new one soon hopeing it will fix it. So it’s possible to be the same thing.

Bigdog....

I don't recommend pulling the cap off of the engine while it is hot. I have seen to many people burned and scalded due to the steam involved. If you look at your engine it will be mounted sideways compared to this, and the tube will be on the passengerside.

While cold, take the cap off of the tube and fill till it's overflowing. Put the cap back on, and fill the resivouir with coolant. Use distilled water also, as tap water will (after time) clog up the passages of the radiatior. I have never had a problem with over heating, and I sun these thinga HARD in the summer time.

Mike

100_1375.jpg

I just put a new thermostat in my 96 LSC and it wasn't running hot, I was only doing preventative measures I thought. I had not been done since new. I have now been to the shop three times for running hot,replaced the stat twice more, went through six gallons of coolant,a new resevoir cap, and tonight I have been nursing it trying to bleed any air out. I was told at one shop they couldn't do anything with it because it made no sense. The lincoln shop wouldn't touch it because someone else had been under the hood and they really didn't want to without making me wait a week. HHEELLPP! I think I will need a valium or prozacc it I can't fix it soon. I hate car trouble. It might make me ready to sell,even though I only have 89,000 miles on it. Any ideas guys? :L

94m5 said:
Bigdog....

I don't recommend pulling the cap off of the engine while it is hot. I have seen to many people burned and scalded due to the steam involved. If you look at your engine it will be mounted sideways compared to this, and the tube will be on the passengerside.

While cold, take the cap off of the tube and fill till it's overflowing. Put the cap back on, and fill the resivouir with coolant. Use distilled water also, as tap water will (after time) clog up the passages of the radiatior. I have never had a problem with over heating, and I sun these thinga HARD in the summer time.

Mike

cool thanks just wanted to see what you where saying incase i ever needed to do it myself im not overheating and im full dosnt llok like i need any fluid but i thout you put the fluid intot the resvour so you
fill the resuvar with watter and the house with coolant you say is this right

ok but if i put it in the resivour how mouch do i wana fill it how high do i want it i dont want it filled up all the way do i

It should have a cold...and a hot fill line. If the engine is cold, fill it to the"cold" line.....if hot.........eh, you get the idea.

Mike

yeah but one thing when i check it hot or cold it seems to be at the same line all the time maybe just withing like 3rd of a inch but still same line is somtthing rong with this

bigdog1279 said:
yeah but one thing when i check it hot or cold it seems to be at the same line all the time maybe just withing like 3rd of a inch but still same line is somtthing rong with this

Nothing wrong with that at all. Really, as long as there is coolant in the resivoiur, you'll be fine.

Mike

Hey guys...I thought you might like to hear this...three days and two different shop bills of over $300.00...they find that my car "was not" overheating like the temp gauge said...seems the gauge went beserk and was giving the wrong indications when the temp was actually in the normal mid range.. :q So tomorrow I'm supposed to pick it up after they clean under the hood real good..it's a mess right now from anti-freeze everywhere. Usually it is super clean under there. So you might have your gauge checked if it appears to be overheating..Just wanted to share..

Members online

No members online now.
Back