How fast

FWIW, my LS ran 15.56 @ 92.x bone stock. Sig has my time w/ just the CAI (and a little cooler temps).

Correction on Top Speed

I have a 2000 LS V8 and I don't have a speed limiter. I have had my LS up to 152MPH 3 times. It accelerates steadily up to about 130 and then it still speeds up fairly steadily, but a little slower. I guess I might just have a fast one, although mine still takes almost 8 full seconds to get to 60 :Bang

hate to call BS here - but we've tested more than 20 LSes with radar guns - 143mph is it.

- lowered 145
- bodykit and aero 147

all the pre-03 V8s hit 142 - 143.

hmmm, do you guys think that the location may be a factor? ex: north vs south? the northern states are colder, so it should be a better fuel air mixture that the southern states, I live in california and it gets hot here, and sometimes notice slight differences when the weather is cold or hot.

Quik LS said:
hate to call BS here - but we've tested more than 20 LSes with radar guns - 143mph is it.

- lowered 145
- bodykit and aero 147

HIs spedometer could be off too. My brothers wife had a Taurus that once you got above 70 mph, the actual speed of the car would be about 7-8 mph faster than what you were actually going. Just a thought.

lexdiamondz10304 said:
hmmm, do you guys think that the location may be a factor? ex: north vs south? the northern states are colder, so it should be a better fuel air mixture that the southern states, I live in california and it gets hot here, and sometimes notice slight differences when the weather is cold or hot.

could account for small differences - but not 10mph. the LLSOC has members all over the country.

maybe downhill?

on the Ford testing oval in Dearborn they proved out where the car tops out.

I work right by the testing grounds in dearborn, wish i worked there!!!.. lol

JohnnyBz00LS said:
Sig? Could've sworn I had a sig.

you do now -

Quik LS said:

- lowered 145
- bodykit and aero 147

Dont know if I missed it but what do the 03 to 05 hit? Is there a Rev limiter holding them back? I got my 2004 LS V8 up to 130 and it felt like it had plenty more.

right - 03+ are electronically limited to 133mph - with code in the PCM.

you can remove it with the SCT XCalibrator PCM flasher.

Quik LS said:
right - 03+ are electronically limited to 133mph - with code in the PCM.

you can remove it with the SCT XCalibrator PCM flasher.

What will it do with it removed? I swear I had it @ a steady 130 and never felt like I was close to the limiter. Thanks for the info Quik. :Beer

right - it's not a rev limiter - it's a speed limiter. With it removed, your car (if it's a V8) should be able to hit the 143mph mark.

Make sure you have the right tire rating for the speed ;)

Quik LS said:
right - it's not a rev limiter - it's a speed limiter. With it removed, your car (if it's a V8) should be able to hit the 143mph mark.

Make sure you have the right tire rating for the speed ;)

I have the Michelin Pilot 235 50R 17's. Plan on going with a nice set of 18's but havent decided on the wheel tire package yet.

I believe that most non-sport models were sold with H-rated tires - since they were speed limited anyway - so the issue is if you have H-rated tires and remove the speed limiter bad things could happen.

Quik LS said:
I believe that most non-sport models were sold with H-rated tires - since they were speed limited anyway - so the issue is if you have H-rated tires and remove the speed limiter bad things could happen.

I agree Quik. I have the V8 Ultimate. Doubt they are H rated. Im thinking V. Ill probably go with some Z rated tires.

First Of All

Well, like I said, I did hit 152mph 3 times whether you believe it or not, I don't know how I can prove it other than taking a pic of the speedometer. I had a friend with me. I am running stock size tires and the road was flat, it was a cool dry night. Any ideas for proof, I don't have access to a radar gun, but I am more than willing to go take a picture. My LS will easily get to 145 no problem, so I don't know what the problem is, but I did hit 152mph and my speedometer is accurate compared to my friends up to 116 at least. :L

Second of all

I didn't think the speedometer was right either. In my county where I was doing these top speed checks, the county roads are exactly 1 mile apart. We drove at that speed for 2 miles according to the roads not the odometer and it took us approximately 48 seconds. That translates into ~152MPH. I also have a video of the car driving at that speed if you all want to see it, although it is dark and not that impressive.

I didn't want to say this before when topics like this came up before... Mainly because what does it really matter, how often are you running top speed anyhow. Plus I knew people would think it was BS, so to avoid any arguement I just kept it to myself. Mine is a 2000 V8 w/ the sport pkg. It was stock at the time, but I had mine up to 155 once. Like carpoof was saying, 145 is not a problem. I even think it would go faster, but I felt 155 was good enough. Once it got to 150 it started going up much slower, I might have pulled an extra 2 or 3 mph. The only thing that would convince me that my car wasn't really doing 155, would be if the Speedo was off. We are talking about a fairly new LS at the time though, but anything is possible. Take this for what it's worth, I'm not trying to disprove anyone's findings.

well your rims/wheels are good for a 2.107% (too fast) speedo difference

true speeds(in the absence of timing equipment) are calculated by RPMs, tire diameter spec, final transmission ratio and rearend ratio...speedos are not accurate at either end of the scale...(were you going 3 MPH or 6Mph?...thats +or- 100%)
LSV8 with 26" tires in 5th going 152mph...the tach woud read 5000RPM

now that would be fast! Short of Landspeed racing or bank robbing when would you use it?

Why are you guys so worried about the speed ratings on your tires? If it really matters that much, how did everyone survive driving cars from 1960-1990? Your tires do not explode if you drive above their speed rating.

Members online

Back