how does everyone launch their car???

richduty455

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So I hear alot of things about people launching their car....some people launch at a rpm, others launch off of idle to "flash" the convertor?????? What does everyone do and what is the best method????

For RT at 1000rpms

For a number off idle

PS: My car is stock

For me with 12 years of racing these cars with every concievable mods and over 5000 passes total I will say if STOCK launch at idle, manually shift with tc & od off.

Chipped, if it's a good program you should not be able to out shift it, so leave it in D and tc/od off.

Boosted, lean on the converter a little to get some boost going then hit it.

There are TOO many varibles for one piece of advice so experiment ALOT.

I try to not launch my cars... They are not very aerodynamic.

a_car.jpg

Put it in neutral rev it to 6000rpm drop it into drive with traction control off. Neutral Drop.

Just kidding.

Actually i have had good luck powerbraking it to about 1500rpm and let it go !

Actually i have had good luck powerbraking it to about 1500rpm and let it go !

you should try and off idle launch, provided you can "stick" the launch it will lower your ET with a stock convertor.

the stock converter will "flash" to a higher speed than it will "revved against the brake".

Give it a shot, but it really aint gonna work on the street.

i've tried it and that works great too. It just seems like you take a little of the delay out if you brake torque it.

Maybe i'm wrong though

you should try and off idle launch, provided you can "stick" the launch it will lower your ET with a stock convertor.

the stock converter will "flash" to a higher speed than it will "revved against the brake".

Give it a shot, but it really aint gonna work on the street.

why wont it work on the street?

20 2 liter bottles of Coke, 2 rolls of Mentos, and some duct tape

4 rolls of Mentos if track conditions are good

For me with 12 years of racing these cars with every concievable mods and over 5000 passes total I will say if STOCK launch at idle, manually shift with tc & od off.

Chipped, if it's a good program you should not be able to out shift it, so leave it in D and tc/od off.

Boosted, lean on the converter a little to get some boost going then hit it.

There are TOO many varibles for one piece of advice so experiment ALOT.

Well Geno, i have your chip :) so i guess leave it in D and go......as for launching it, i guess I'll just try different ways to see what works best....

Last edited:
When I had a stock converter, launching off idle was best. Now with a 3800 stall converter, I find better launches stalling the converter but it is much more difficult to get good RTs. But if I can nail the tree the low RT with the lower 60 foot time pays off. ;)

When I had a stock converter, launching off idle was best. Now with a 3800 stall converter, I find better launches stalling the converter but it is much more difficult to get good RTs. But if I can nail the tree the low RT with the lower 60 foot time pays off. ;)

I'd like to see an incar video of your car. Interested to see how it drives with the stall.

i was going to get a 3800 stall lockout converter. With the lockout it drives normal under light throttle iirc.. Am i right on that one?

i was going to get a 3800 stall lockout converter. With the lockout it drives normal under light throttle iirc.. Am i right on that one?

As MrWilson said it's lockup. Basically it has an internal clutch like the stock converter. Most aftermarker units have better clutch material and surface area.

When your cruising it would be locked up and you would be at the same rpm as stock. Even light throttle from a stop it will not be locked up and you will see higher rpms over stock. I lost a little gas mileage because of this but it's not that bad. You get used to it and if I didn't drive the LS most of the time wouldn't notice it anymore. Gears tame this to a degree. It was noticable difference on the stock gears then with the 4.10s. A 3800 stall should still be plenty streetable with 4.10s. I personally wouldn't go any higher then that without more gear. I think JP has 4.30s. Hope this helped

As MrWilson said it's lockup. Basically it has an internal clutch like the stock converter. Most aftermarker units have better clutch material and surface area.

When your cruising it would be locked up and you would be at the same rpm as stock. Even light throttle from a stop it will not be locked up and you will see higher rpms over stock. I lost a little gas mileage because of this but it's not that bad. You get used to it and if I didn't drive the LS most of the time wouldn't notice it anymore. Gears tame this to a degree. It was noticable difference on the stock gears then with the 4.10s. A 3800 stall should still be plenty streetable with 4.10s. I personally wouldn't go any higher then that without more gear. I think JP has 4.30s. Hope this helped

Sounds good! Wheres a video of your car??

I am getting a DirtyDogPerformance 9.5" Billet unit.
I just want to be able to still drive it everyday and have my fiancee drive it to school

The Mark has a head gasket issue and should be up and running again with some more mods in a month or two. I'll take some vids and head down to the track then.

Before that it was my daily driver and my girlfriend has driven it plenty of times without complaint.

Members online

No members online now.
Back