Hood Scoop

WackyWRZ

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I was looking around in the jcwhitney books at hood scoops, and was wondering if one of those would be hard to put on, and bondo the edges to make it look good. Also would it be worth it as compared to a new hood? I seem to remember a post somewhere about geno's hood, and he did it by just adding on a scoop, and using fiberglass or the sort where it met the hood. Maybe I am just getting into something too deep.

I think Geno had a whole hood made custom........Not just a scoop attached.

Geno's hood is custom, but not custom built from scratch. His hood is the factory one with a Camaro style hood scoop grafted onto it....hence custom, but not built from scratch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats what I figured, and it looks DAMN nice. I wouldn't mind trying it myself, but I am not sure of the level of difficulty.

I have been hatching a dream about a fresh air supply directly into the cold air box.

I wanted to orginally cut into the surface of the hood - using a NACA style duct - and a rubber seal that snugged up against the box when the hood was closed (see Geno's TASCA for the concept).

But with the water issues that offers - and my need to actually use the car - I moved my idea to the side of the fender.

Later I figured air moving up is just as o2 rich as air moving down or sideways - so I've moved my thoughts downward - possibly within the lower facia - or just under the whole mess.

I love the look of a hood scoop - particularly facing backward (ala Geno's purple car) but if I'm not making room for something - or piping air somewhere - I really can't see it making any sense.

Although I still think the "on hood" tachometer is the coolest thing around.

dsinclair said:
Although I still think the "on hood" tachometer is the coolest thing around.

Geno's scoop has like 4 or 5 gauges in it, but I have never seen a good pic of them.

WackyWRZ said:
Geno's scoop has like 4 or 5 gauges in it, but I have never seen a good pic of them.

It's an Outlaw 1969 4 inch cowl from Unlimited Fiberlass in CA.

b4nafter.jpg

Might not be a good idea

I dont think that putting fiberglass on a stock hood is such a good idea. The steel shrinks and expands at diff temperatures that the fiberglass, and getting the edges smooth is a PITA, I have some experience w/fiberglass, and I wouldnt do it, Just buy a fiberglass hood w/scoop. But, thats just my humble opinion. Either way, good luck :steering

Marine said:
I dont think that putting fiberglass on a stock hood is such a good idea. The steel shrinks and expands at diff temperatures that the fiberglass, and getting the edges smooth is a PITA, I have some experience w/fiberglass, and I wouldnt do it, Just buy a fiberglass hood w/scoop. But, thats just my humble opinion. Either way, good luck :steering

The factory hood is NOT steel.It is a composite plastic material.It bonds very nicely actually.Mine has not cracked once and I built it the same way as Genos.

Members online

Back