Hole in right front air bag, caused by solenoid connector!

SwedishMark

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all, been a long time since I've posted here.
My car is still in my possession and is my "if everything fails" emergency car which at the moment is being used by a friend of my on longtime-loan.

Either way he was driving to me yesterday and lost all air in the front suspension, we found a hole in the right front air bag.
And it was caused by no other than the freaking solenoid connector.
I had this apart around 6 years, but not so many miles, ago when changing all bushings I also changed O-rings in the whole suspension system.
So why did the connector poke a hole in the bag? I have no clue.
There are two directions you can mount it: connector outwards and connector inwards.
I had mounted the connector outwards (furthest away from bag) yet it rubbed a hole in it, and you can see the imprint of the connector locking tab on the bag itself.
Now I've mounted the connector inwards (closer to the bag by a few millimeters) and I'm in doubt. It's not right. But connector outwards is obviously not right either.
So should this be? I'm starting to thing connector outwards and remove the locking tab (has two so still 1 in use) but that's not right either.
Can anybody shine some light on this because I'm feeling baffled by this. I also don't want to ruin my replacement strut as spares are hard to find here in Sweden...
unnamed.jpg

Also I'll give you a cookie in the shape of my fathers car.
Finally sorted out and just recently made a 9.54 pass at 238kph with really bad 60-foot times on low boost (the normal excuse).
Yes it's a street car, driven there with the trailer behind (look at the hitch).
08387D36-AC34-4775-B999-772F7183877A.jpg

Has he ever been in Drag Week with that?
We’re in Sweden so can’t do that, but it’s built for the Swedish equivalent named Street Week.
D33F6D11-2A24-4FED-AC42-D0C5F53E4CC2.jpeg

Either way I fixed the issue.
But the issue shouldn’t even be an issue and that’s bothering me. Maybe the old air bags has become loose and when under pressure they balloon out to the sides more than they did when new? That’s the only theory I have.
Either way, here’s before and after. Simply removed the locking tab closest to the bag (still has one left).
8E81F269-D103-4CE1-956D-5E2E437AB4E1.jpeg

04F9EA3F-09AB-4F20-8E16-9918AD9760DE.jpeg

Also managed to break the lower mounting tab in the ride height sensor.
Quick fix and it’s good to go for a while longer, also have spares when this fails but feels like it’ll last a while.
3B630841-F020-4350-AE92-B8E82AB1F95F.jpeg

Holding air!
AD1BD2EF-4875-4C92-A42A-2FECDC2DAF4C.jpeg

Members online

Back