HIR headlights

So, you're using HID lenses inside the halogen housing?

So, has Ford improved the material and build quality of the replacement lenses, or are they still as crappy as they were in 1993?

They are still the same exact design as 93. The inner material will turn to crap sooner or later. The heat does it. I think Gangsta did it the best way as far as cost and light output are concerned.

This is something I want to try soon, but if somebody wants to try it, let me know how it works.

Separate the lens from the reflector housing and cut and epoxy mirror pieces inside over the old reflector material and reassemble...I know at parts stores they also have those universal, cut-to-fit plastic side view mirror sheets. they're flexible and could be made to fit the inside curves of the housing. I want to try this but I don't have a spare if it doesn't work.

How flexible is that stuff though? Its pretty tight inside the housings.

Well at least these are not HID housing we are talking about so we dont have to worry about the focus, but it is a tight curve in there.

Anyone think of using silver leaf (like gold leaf)? I have NO CLUE how much it can take temp wise though, but once its applied it sticks pretty well. Im guessing it wont hold up, but its a thought.

I wish there was an LED option....

If I can find a spare one, possibly 2 that are no good anymore...I'm willing to open them up and try a few different theories on them. I'm sure even if Ford doesn't seem to want to make the money on replacing these poor lights. We here would have no problem if we can find a reasonable solution ..going after a patent and fixing the problem ourselves.

As a matter of fact...does it matter if it's a headlight from a Mark VIII, could we not try a few experiments on any old headlight that's the same principle??

Getting DOT (Department of Transportation) approved will be the problem to make them legal here in the US.

in case anyone is interested i just came across a nearly new drivers side halogen lens with great reflective chrome inside.
i will be posting on ebay shortly unless someone on here offers me enough dough first.;)

012007 093 (Medium).jpg

Just adding my vent...

My 2000 'stang just needed new headlamp housings cause they clouded over from the inside and failed safety inspection - cheap at $175 pair (factory smoked version from a 2001 model). That's only after 7 years (I keep them clean and waxed too). I have seen older fox bodied Mustangs with head lamps that are actually yellow they are so bad.

My 1994 E-150 is on it 3rd set of head light covers (woo whooo $19.95 each) but it does sit outside all the time. I can clean them with Mr clean pads once or twice and wax but they still go bad pretty fast.

my 95 base never had an issue but it was always garaged and rarely driven at night.

How flexible is that stuff though? Its pretty tight inside the housings.

It's fairly flexible and you could probably heat the back of it a little to make it bend easier... Even if you had to cut the vertical sections into smaller pieces to make the curve, I'll bet the reflective properties of the modified light will be superior to the pieces of sh1t that we have now.

Members online

No members online now.
Back