HIR headlights

turborich

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, I ordered a set of new HIR bulbs for my new halogen housings. They are much whiter and produce very good light. Well worth the $59.00 a pair including shipping in my opinion. I just hope that the new housings will last for a little while. LOL. :D

19E7DA5A5-B002-EAD4-E18B1C8314E2A9B1.jpg

19E7E8BCF-E0AC-52F4-39DDCC17CC424834.jpg

Cool. I wonder how well they would work in old kinda crappy housings?

The same as your stock bulbs. NO reflection, is no reflection. NO matter how many lumens you produce.

AHD said:
The same as your stock bulbs. NO reflection, is no reflection. NO matter how many lumens you produce.
I would have to agree. My freinds 94 has one bright headlight and one very dim one. We replaced both bulbs with new ones with the same result. Once the housings are burnt its too late. If you do get new housings or have a set of good ones then I think this is the way to go.

I'm still not sure of this-
despite everyone knowing of the problem, is Ford still making the halogen housing as badly as they did in 1993? Or have them made a few changes, and these replacements are better than the originals?

The housings are still the same! even the same production date on them???
4 of 1994 I think.

I am short on $$ these days. I don't know if I want to dump another $500 into this car anytime soon anyways. I am just looking for a cheap way out.

The cheapest approach to the headlight problem is to install a pair of powerful driving lights behind the grill. They will provide a great deal of light straight ahead in front of you. It's not the same as having good headlights, but it does work.

But, be warned, depending on how you direct the drivers lights, you will absolutely blind anyone you are following or oncoming traffic.

Calabrio said:
I'm still not sure of this-
despite everyone knowing of the problem, is Ford still making the halogen housing as badly as they did in 1993? Or have them made a few changes, and these replacements are better than the originals?

I am pretty sure they are made alot better i bought new ones last year and they are a little different than the original ones and didnt have a 1994 date on them

gangstaMK8 said:
I am pretty sure they are made alot better i bought new ones last year and they are a little different than the original ones and didnt have a 1994 date on them
REALLY??? what date was stamped on them? I am curious now cause the new ones that I just got from ford still were stamped 1994. :confused: Why cant ford just fix the freakin problem? hmmm...

turborich said:
REALLY??? what date was stamped on them? I am curious now cause the new ones that I just got from ford still were stamped 1994. :confused: Why cant ford just fix the freakin problem? hmmm...

This is a question that we really need to find an answer to. If Ford is continuing to build a defective product, that's inexcusable. If they've improved the design since 1993, then maybe HIDs aren't the only alternatives after all.

they werent 94 i can tell u that and also they werent clear like my original ones they had a sort of blue very faint tint to them i will post pics of them this week for u guys i have been meqaning to get pics of my hid system i put in the car very nice and when i drive at night for hours the lenses are not hot at all when u touch them

aren't they making both a halogen case and a HID case?
Did they ever improve the replacement halogen lenses? If that's the case, a set of lense and maybe new bulbs or HIRs would mean high quality,long lasting visibilty for a fraction of the HID cost. But if it's the same crappy product, with the same delaminating reflective material, then it's not worth it.

before i got my hids i bought the new lenses and put in nice bulbs but then this year i decided i wanted more light and i went with hid's in my lenses and they work fine and look awesome. But i dont drive my car in the rain or any nasty weather period and i know that the elements play a big role in the :q:q:q:qty headlight lenses

So, you're using HID lenses inside the halogen housing?

So, has Ford improved the material and build quality of the replacement lenses, or are they still as crappy as they were in 1993?

no i have the stock brand new lenses they have a slight bluish tint to them with my 50 watt hid kit that i put in. 4300 k i just know that they are different from the stock ones that i used to have.

like i said i dont worry about my light lenses :q:q:q:qing up because the car is rarely driven and also for anyone that does drive there car all the time with new lenses they sell plastic polish which i would try to use monthly to keep the lenses on the outside at least as nice as they can stay. I do think that the hid kit was the best thing i could do for the visibility at night

The problem with the original lenses isn't the discoloration of the outer plastic as much as it is the deterioration and delamination of the reflective coating within the housing.

im my case being stuck in new england when my parents owned the car it was both the outside and the inside

So does anyone know:

Has Ford resolved the problems regarding the halogen housings on their new replacement parts?

..better question-
if a HIR produces the same amount of heat, but more light-
what if we installed 35 watt headlights instead? Wouldn't that create less heat and the same amount of light.

Max at 5 Star Ford in Arizona confirmed that they have not improved the halogen headlights since 1994, they are still prone to the same problems.

But what about a lower power HIR? New housings and a lower wattage HIR, woudln't that be superior lighting compared to the car when it was new, but last much longer due to the heat reduction?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but my sis who has a '96 Mark VIII, well, her headlights are completely out, and I'm looking for a replacement for her.

I found a pair of new headlights (not aftermarket) on eBay, but as I recall, the original Gen I halogens were pretty crappy.

So that leaves me three more choices I suppose;

a) Find Gen I HIDs somehow (didn't see any on eBay), or from a junkyard..?
b) Any aftermarket solutions? I'm a bit wary of these.
c) Buy a later model Mark VIII...

Make sure to keep your headlights turned off if you are not using them. Keep the automatic sensor thingy off. I like the look of the HIR's however they do burn a bit hotter than the origional sylvainas.

I would say, buy the new halogen housings from ford (around $400 bucks) both sides if you go through 5 star or team ford. Then I would buy a set of the plug and play HID kits. This way it will keep the heat to a minimum. Around $600 and it's all new and your done.

Members online

No members online now.
Back