Higher Stall and Gears? Can't I just do the converter?

OU812IC

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a stock 98 LSC with a TL on its way, be in hand for next weekend. Supercharger likely over the winter. Sometime between now and end of summer Jmod, higher stall and dual exhaust manifolds back. This will be a street car only with maybe a night at the strip once a year. I want to be able to do the 75 on the freeway thing and not rev the hell out of it, get the awesome mileage and piece of mind for the occasional road trip.

I know a bit about foxbody mustangs.... If I were to SC a mustang with a built 302/351 with a stall and 411 gears I would burn up tires, lose top end and ultimately end up putting in 327 or 355 gears. Granted these were foxbody mustangs and vary in RWH but the end results were about the same. Fun as hell don't get me wrong but I didn't care to take it on a 100 mile road trip doing 75-80 in the fast lane.

Part 2: If memory serves, the RPM of the stall converter will go up once the SC is in stalled, right?

In case it matters I am leaning more towards a Kenne Bell SC. I want the low end and it seems that a Paxton comes in more towards the upper RPM range. Again, all street, not a DD.

What I am trying to avoid is putting in 410s and a year from now putting the 327 back in once the SC is in and tuned.

Thank you all in advance. The knowledge here is incredible.

More torque generally means a higher stall output rpm for a converter.

A positive displacement converter will build more boost in lower rpms and yield more torque.

I would choose the converter for the supercharger. 3.73s work well with these cars when using boost.

Thanks Driller. I was hoping I could do exactly that, use the "Future Converter" today with no harm.
So, I wont truely LOVE the "converter money" spent till I boost it, that is ok. I am sure I will get a little appreciation in the mean time.
I suppose I can wait another couple of weeks and get the stuff for the 373s together.

Anyone in the Antioch IL area want to do a rearend? I called a couple of places and the money is dam near stupid, at the moment they are just crazy for what they are asking. I havent done one in years, like 1990 something..

Anyone in the Antioch IL area want to do a rearend? I called a couple of places and the money is dam near stupid, at the moment they are just crazy for what they are asking. I havent done one in years, like 1990 something..

Can't help you there except to say when I put 4.10s in, I hadn't done any gear setups for a decade or more and had zero experience with an IRS. But with enough research and study, I did the job myself with literally nothing more than basic tools, a digital caliper and a dial indicator.

I'm supercharged, 4:10 gears, 4000 stall and it still is a good street car. I even 24 mpg on a trip. But driller is right on 3:73 are perfect for what you want. For various reasons Marks are more forgiving with low gears that a Fox mustang.

It has been a while.... Did 4:10s . Supercharger is in and finally tuned to near perfection as of this past week. I ran 13.1 with a 2.1 60'. This winter it gets exhaust and a stall. Stall is tbd at at the moment.

Du

I blew the motor up last Sunday. Not to pieces but I went in a run to tweak the tune after doing the 4k stall and it detonated one too many times. Ooops

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

Members online

No members online now.
Back