high idle with engine light

g4rgoyle

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
This is what happen i decided to spray the car down to get all the dirt out of all the nick and crannys. I sprayed the motor area down to get salt and dirt out . But when i went to started it the rpms went to around 2200 and stayed there, i hit the gas pedal and they went down then motor light came on . Put it in gear push the pedal to go and it seems to idle high when going to stop. then idle downs slowly. Any ideas, Seems to run smooth when at at idle 700 rpm

well you may have soaked your air filter and the engine is starving for air.

Also you may have gotten water into the valve covers and are misfiring on one or more cylinders.

Thanks for repling never though of the air filter get wet, have to check that in the morning. It's dark now thats why i thought of askig and see if anyone else has had a problem after spraying the engine conpartment.

+1. I use Optimum Power Clean at 3:1 dilution. Agitate, then rinse by using a spray bottle with distilled or RO water, and wiping each area dry immediately to prevent flooding the engine. This is also effective at keeping water away from electrical components and other areas you don't want water.

who hoses their engine down? bad news bear... just a simple mist and alittle degreaser and a toothbrush if anything

+1

Cover fuse box with a plastic bag and in my case a plastic bag over the K&N air filter cone; I use my tire/wheel brush and scrub everything I can reach, then rinse. Detail with Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Professional Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/ conditioner.

Meguiar's #40 is AWESOME.

Although I've recently tried Finish Kare top kote. Awesome stuff, and has anti-static properties.

Well ther was road grim and salt threw the hole engine compartment. Turns out after i put in on engine diagnosis i got P1120 and P0122,throttle position sensor. For it must be sticking for if i go on an on ramp sometimes and floor it it sticks and i have to tap the gas pedal to get it to kick down. I guess i will just have to ake it out and clean it. And the lube the the cable.

Members online

Back