High Fast Idle

BvilleStew

LVC Member
Reaction score
I've owned my 98 lsc since May 2000 w/20,000 miles. Currently 112,000 miles. This past week when first starting, the fast idle jumps to 2,000 rpm for 5-6 seconds before it drops down to 1,500 for 3-4 seconds, back to 2,000 for a couple more seconds, then to 1,000, then 800. I looked for cracked vacuum lines, but found none. Runs great otherwise!
I removed the IAC solenoid and cleaned it with carb cleaner. No help. Ideas?
I'd like to fix it before I put it away for the winter in a couple weeks.
:confused:

Check the two vacuum lines that tie into the drivers side of the intake manifold.
it's a common place for them to leak and it is easily overlooked (Ask Myco)

Mycos car did much the same thing, he went over it a couple of times and found no vacuum leaks,
He brought the car over and within a couple of seconds I found the leak..
BOTH those hoses had collapsed and were leaking.
It made a "hissing sound" when the engine was turned off..
it wasn't hard to find...

Fine for now!

Checked all vacuum lines and TPS. Found no problems. Disconnected the battery for a half hour and reconnected it. Cold start the next morning and all is good! It's been fine for three days! Hmmm. How long will that last?
Any more suggestions?

Checked all vacuum lines and TPS. Found no problems. Disconnected the battery for a half hour and reconnected it. Cold start the next morning and all is good! It's been fine for three days! Hmmm. How long will that last?
Any more suggestions?

i had the same thing when i started up my car, also my car would idle at 1200-1500 rpm at the stop light then i would get up to speed and take my foot off the gas and it would drive it self. i disconnected the batt also and it's been fine since

Members online

Back