HID Kit Question

StrykerV8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I bought an HID kit last year and its been working ok, aside from the fact that sometimes only one bulb will light up. And even sometimes if they are both on, if I am idling then one will flicker and turn off. I know its not the bulbs, they are brand new. I also have a relay kit which was supposed to fix the problem but didn't. Its almost as if my battery can't give it the power it desires fast enough (its a 1000/850 battery though). Any of you have similar problems or know of a solution? Its pretty annoying.

I got them from eBay and if I remember correctly it was from the seller japanimportshop or something similar. Ive been contemplating getting a kit from DDM but don't know if that will solve my problem either.

I got the DDM kit but autolamp sometimes don't work...I would have to turn it back off and then on to work...maybe because its a slim ballast?

are you using autolamp?

my auto lamp makes my hids flicker, when i use the rotary switch they always work fine.

go to vvme .com i have had these kits for years never had any problems. and also if you have one that goes on and flickers mean you have a voltage problem in the wire

First thing I would check is the lamp out module wire. It needs to be snipped. You will need to cut the brown/light blue stripe wire. When the lamp out module senses the HID's or lamp out, it lowers the voltage to the bulbs. Park close to a wall next time and watch how bright they are at first and then watch how dim they get when the message center beeps at you.

If you are experiencing issues such as; flickering HID lights, one side of your HID lights is not working or any other issues please read.
The biggest and most common issue with aftermarket HID conversion kits is VOLTAGE. If your ballast is not getting the proper voltage your lights will not work properly. Here is a list of issues that will cause low voltage:

1. Daytime running lights
2. Poor battery
3. Poor alternator
4. Automatic Headlights
5. Some vehicles computers can sense when the headlight bulbs are out and send low voltage to the headlights. We have witnessed this on Mark VIII's. This causes the hid lights to strobe or flicker.

Now for the SOLUTIONS to your HID Conversion Kit troubles!

1. Relay Harness - The relay harness will allow the ballasts to draw power directly from the vehicle battery thus eliminating most low or fluctuating voltage problems.

2. Sometimes you will need a capacitor on the relay harness to boost the power to the relay itself, since the relay needs 12v to operate properly also.

3. Resistor Packs - The pack contains a resistor. The resistor tricks the cars computer into believing there are halogen bulbs in the system and keeping 12v going to the headlight plugs. Use this option for "bulb out indicator" or "strobe effect" flickering HID problems or both.

4. High Power Capacitors - These will increase the power to the ballast, thus eliminating the HID flickering and strobing lights effect. It will also put some resistance on the headlight plugs and will eliminate the bulb out indicator on most vehicles. This option will fix 90% of the vehicles with flickering HID problems. Use this option for "strobe effect" flickering HID problem and or "bulb out indicator".

The only other thing that may cause your HID lights to not function properly is:

1. Faulty Ballast
2. Faulty HID bulb
3. Faulty wiring

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00096.html

That is fantastic, thank you very much. And yes Ive been using the autolamp feature, surprising to find out it makes a difference. I also already had the check headlights wire cut. Ill see if I cant find out the problem with this info.

Members online

No members online now.
Back