HID install questions GEN 2

failsatheals

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have the adapters, I have the right kit, my questions are concerning the stock ballasts. I have it all apart at the moment, do I just follow the wiring back to the stock ballasts, remove those, and the wiring into the stock splice to fit the new ones? I know DLF wrote an article on it on LOD, but I cant seem to find it. Everything that comes up when searching is about how to use the adapters which seems fairly straight forward.

Thats pretty much how I did mine, I actually unplugged the ballast and found some matching plugs and soldered them to my aftermarket ballast to make it plug and play.

-Alan

Where exactly are the stock ballasts? Do I have to take the whole bumper off? I traced back the wires from the HID now and they go way up into the bumper on the passenger side

Behind the bumper to the right of the horn, they are mounted together on a bracket.

Well I was able to get the two 5.5mm bolts that connect the ballast the to bracket, but it still doesnt seem to want to budge

I read on a few posts to remove the "voltage multiplier", where exactly is this? The guy who made the post edit his first post saying it was fixed, but never explained it.

Hmm... I left my stock ballasts where they were as the kit I bought only required one side as a trigger. Guess my car was already converted by Ford to halogen, but because most of these kits have a relay and are wired directly to the battery and chassis ground, they only want to see an on/off trigger. I vote for putting new connectors in like lobird and leave those original ballasts where they sit. I found locations for my new ballasts just under the radiator trim piece.

Not exactly the easiest diagram on the planet to decipher, but this is how mine are installed. Because only one side is plugged into the headlight trigger, I do get a check headlight code... which I just reset. I HAD to use the Relay Harness method because it was the only way the lights would activate. I hope this didn't confuse the hell out of you. Sorry.

hid_zpsf140b3d0.jpg

Thats pretty much how I did mine, I actually unplugged the ballast and found some matching plugs and soldered them to my aftermarket ballast to make it plug and play.

-Alan

Did you just get them from the junkyard, or did you actually find new ones? I'd love to be able to find some new ones....

Members online

No members online now.
Back