HID conversion

Reaction score
Has anyone out there been able to convert the gen 2 HID lights to non HID's? Is it as simple as splicing ahead of the ballasts and adapting a bulb to fit in the low beam hole? My '93 lights work fine when the lenses are clean. The '98 has clear lenses and I feel like the '93 bulb, or something similar would work. There has to be someone in this market. $200 for a bulb, if you can find one, is rediculous.
Dave.

Don't bother. It's been attempted with less-than-positive results. You'll either have to cough-up $250, or sell the car...

Why would you want to downgrade? Most on the Gen 1 would like to upgrade to HID's I's the better lighting source. My suggestion check the junk yards for Gen 2's and get the lights and hold on to them for a rainy day. That is what I am doing.

I hear you and I agree. The hid's are better but if the aftermarket doesn't start making them there will be no more. Ford will not make them forever. The junkyards know what they're worth too, if you can find them still in the cars. My '93 is good when the lenses are buffed but not as clear as my Mark 7's. I was just looking for a way to install a $20 bulb vs. a $200 one. The 7 is a one bulb system so I don't know if they would work either. My '93 will eventually need to be changed over and I'll make something work before I spend $1200 to switch to HID's. The good thing is the big picture.... $200 ain't bad if they last. I've installed only one bulb in all my 7's since 1986. If the hid's last that long in the '98 I can't fuss too much.
Dave.

The best scenario would be for someone to start making adapters so that all of us can convert over to the D2R style HIDs.

Someone does. $350 and you never have to buy those godforsaken bulbs ever again. I've got them in my lights right now.

I know some of you have come up with some cheaper solutions, but this one fits a D2 bulbs like a glove, and seals the lens completely, just like stock. I am running a Valeo Gen4 kit for an E55. It's friggin great.

Dominus said:
Someone does. $350 and you never have to buy those godforsaken bulbs ever again. I've got them in my lights right now.

I know some of you have come up with some cheaper solutions, but this one fits a D2 bulbs like a glove, and seals the lens completely, just like stock. I am running a Valeo Gen4 kit for an E55. It's friggin great.

I know I'm not alone thinking this, but $350 for a pair of little adapter plates just seems like price gouging.

There has got to be some way for you to adapt a regular halogen bulb so that it will work. It will just take some fabbing up. I don't know how bright it will be though.

Calabrio said:
I know I'm not alone thinking this, but $350 for a pair of little adapter plates just seems like price gouging.

I've said it before.

Talk to Jeremi (M_Maker) about the adapter plates he is fabbing up right now. I know he told me he had a few prototypes, but thats the last I heard. This complaint is getting more and more common and the sooner we pony up, the sooner this problem will go away.

May seem like price gouging, but when I want to a local CNC engineer and asked him how much it would be just to DUPLICATE such a design, the price wasn't much better. None of them were interested in doing a cheap project.

It's real nice and all that Jeremi and about a billion others are working on a solution, but dreams weren't doing my headlights much good, so I got the adapters. Besides, we've been hearing about these "other adapters" for months and months now. Nobody is any closer to making something that exists any more than cold fusion or warp drives.

Seeing as how I paid $600 for new composite housings, and another $250 for the HID system, another $350 just wasn't much of a big deal after that.

Before I changed over, I could not even see my headlights on the road at night. Now my lights are blidingly bright. I'll take pics so you all can see the difference.

JC1994 said:
This whole headlight issue SUCKS!!!! it's time for a class action lawsuit against Ford. :mad: :mad:
I bet that would over just about as well as 99 cobra owners complaining about the over rated motors in their cars.

MarkVIII93 said:
I bet that would over just about as well as 99 cobra owners complaining about the over rated motors in their cars.

Or the 2v owners with the cracked intake manifolds...

I just got a new digital camera that likes to take detailed close up pictures. So when it stops raining tomorrow I will try to get some pics of what we did to get the DS style bulbs to seat in my housings. All he used was a dremel tool and a small bit.

2002WRXSTi said:
I just got a new digital camera that likes to take detailed close up pictures. So when it stops raining tomorrow I will try to get some pics of what we did to get the DS style bulbs to seat in my housings. All he used was a dremel tool and a small bit.

We have completely different housings, and plastic enclosures over the bulb bases. Try dealing with that crap.

JC1994 said:
This whole headlight issue SUCKS!!!! it's time for a class action lawsuit against Ford. :mad: :mad:

Why? And make some lawyers right and then get $100 each?

Dominus said:
It's real nice and all that Jeremi and about a billion others are working on a solution, but dreams weren't doing my headlights much good, so I got the adapters. Besides, we've been hearing about these "other adapters" for months and months now. Nobody is any closer to making something that exists any more than cold fusion or warp drives.

d2s_adapter.jpg

That's all I can say for now. Thank you !

Out of curiosity, has anyone here tried to retrofit a projector setup into our headlights?

Oh wow, another picture of something nobody can obtain. I'll right click and save as the picture and put in the same folder as I have my pictures of the Fountain of Youth, and the City of Atlantis.

I think it's great you've done something more than just hit the keyboard, and I give you a standing ovation for that, but seriously, when will these things actually be available?

Members online

No members online now.
Back