HID ballast access

kaha

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Think it's finally about time to wire in the VME lights I picked up some time back; tired of only having high beams. Bought a set of delrin adaptors from DLF awhile back, only to discover that I don't need them (car has the HID housings, but a standard halogen bulb twists right in there? Haven't figured that one out yet). I also read DLF's excellent write-up on the procedure at LOD, seems pretty straightforward.
My question is: how much of the car do I need to disassemble to get to the stock ballasts, to delete them and use their wires/connectors to be able to plug the new ballasts into the stock wiring? Which wires to cut? :confused:

Are you sure your not looking at the high beam location? Has it been converted to the reg style bulbs(kit)?

Iirc the high beams have a black circle twist off cap covering it. The hid side would have the square clear housing.

The oem hid ballasts are located behind the bumper support on the pass side.

Are you sure your not looking at the high beam location? Has it been converted to the reg style bulbs(kit)?

Iirc the high beams have a black circle twist off cap covering it. The hid side would have the square clear housing.

I'm looking at the two closest to the center. If there was a conversion kit available, maybe the former owner did that, dunno. I do know that a standard halogen bulb in there still gives me no lowbeams (and doesn't blow up the bulb either, hrm).

No sign of a square, clear housing. This threw me when looking at DLF's instructions, which showed them clearly. Figured maybe that was just a Gen 2 thing.

So I need to pull the bumper cover to get to the wires?

F'n A..I thought you had a g2...Is this a true 96lsc w/clear housings?

uhh. two closest to the center of the car in the headlights? those are the highs.

two farthest from the center are the lows.

:shifty:
Lemme go out and doublecheck which ones I was looking at, I think those are the two I meant.

Call me a dumbass, I was indeed looking at the wrong bulbs. :shifty: :eek: :eyeroll:

Stock HIDs on the outsides, they don't have that clear plastic cover tho. I see a metal box with the hazard high voltage warning, which I think is part of the bulb itself.
So what do I have to take apart or take off to get to the old ballasts and pertinent wiring? :confused:

F'n A..I thought you had a g2...Is this a true 96lsc w/clear housings?

It is. So is the oem ballast in a different location on those?
I pulled one of the headlights this evening to have a look, looks pretty simple. But there is no square, clear plastic cover over the back of the HID bulbs to weatherize them like the Gen 2s have. Will I have to fab something, or will the new VME bulbs be okay without that?

Members online

No members online now.
Back