hi whats up how do i tell gen1 from gen2

B

bigdog1279

i have a 95 continental with
full
OBDII
would like to know how i tell if it is
Gen1 or Gen2 have been told many time that is its obdI its gen1 and if its obdII its gen2
but from what im hearing about the marks
im just not shure i have a continental so please help

before i bought a mark... but i knew of them. i always called the G2 the car with the "UFO" lights in the rear.... lol. cause there was this one time again before i bought a mark. i was living in NY at the time, i was behind a G2 and it was at night, and all the guy was doing was tapping his brakes every 3-5 seconds. i was getting freaked out cause i never saw the whole rear of a car light up the way that a G2 did. but anyway nevermind...lol

Gen1 and Gen2 has nothing to do with OBDI vs OBDII. It has to do with the changes the were done to the Mark VIII. I am not sure the years exactly because I not Mark VIII owner, but I think Gen1 is 93-96 and Gen2 is 97-98.

Your Continental is probably somewhere around Gen5 or Gen6 or Gen7, I have no idea because I don't know any Continental history. But all 95-97 Continentals are one generation, then 98-end or production were the last generation.

cool thanks
im just happy that im one of the few 95 continental that have OBDII couse most have OBDI from what i have hear so
that the mane thing im happy ABOUT :)
thanks for the INFO
i have that UFO light on the back of my car HAHA HA :)

goes by body. MARK VIII GEN 1 are 93-96 and Gen 2 is 97-98 you can tell by the body. or more obvious the grille.

I guess I have a OBD II since it says OBD II certified.

DSC05669.JPG

mark0101 said:
I guess I have a OBD II since it says OBD II certified.
is that sticker on yhour door or under your hood and where

l3ugl3ear said:
LOL guys all this is new to me wtf is OBDII,I and what is GEN's?

OBDII is the emissions standards enacted for all cars in 1996.uses much more powerful engine computers to control drivability and emissons.they all have a port which can be read by an OBDII scanner which will give codes as to many of the cars problems.before that most were EECIV.

GEN1 AND GEN2 are just just acronyms for generation 1 MARK VIII'S VS.generation 2 MARK VIII'S ie changes to the bodies interiors and such.
john

Ty :)

aristo1963 said:
OBDII is the emissions standards enacted for all cars in 1996.uses much more powerful engine computers to control drivability and emissons.they all have a port which can be read by an OBDII scanner which will give codes as to many of the cars problems.before that most were EECIV.

GEN1 AND GEN2 are just just acronyms for generation 1 MARK VIII'S VS.generation 2 MARK VIII'S ie changes to the bodies interiors and such.
john
ty aristo, u are any kinda of technician or something?? :joke

aristo1963 said:

john[/QUOTE
but some cars in 1995 have OBDII also man dont forget that
but it was changed to be the standard for 1996

bigdog1279 said:
aristo1963 said:

john[/QUOTE
but some cars in 1995 have OBDII also man dont forget that
but it was changed to be the standard for 1996

1996 was the year that it became mandatory for all manufacturers,ford just jumped the gun in a few cases.

l3ugl3ear said:
ty aristo, u are any kinda of technician or something?? :joke
in the late 80's i was a f/l/m tech,but switched to being an industrial technician due to the much better pay scale.
john

Members online

No members online now.
Back