Help with 4.6 4V

Imperial pilot x

New LVC Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2004
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Syracuse
Hi I just purchased a 4.6 out of a 93 Mark for my 94 cougar and we are doing the swap in spring.. I was going to buy a new GTO but can not afford payments and I got the cougar for free.. So i was looking to try and push it to around 350 hp to compensate for the cougars 3700 pnd weight. Is it just me or is it hard to find alot of 4.6 dohc aftermarket parts ?? any suggestions to achieve this level and what these engines respond to best ?? Thanks

- Don
 

Jibit

Dearly Departed Friend
Joined
Mar 17, 2004
Messages
1,707
Reaction score
1
Location
Villa Park, IL
Parts are extremely easy to find, check out the vendors (lincolnmotorsport.com), the lincoln motors share a lot of similar parts of the cobra motors.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish. 350 at the crank? That's easy, just spray it! :nos:
 

Imperial pilot x

New LVC Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2004
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Syracuse
Jibit said:
Parts are extremely easy to find, check out the vendors (lincolnmotorsport.com), the lincoln motors share a lot of similar parts of the cobra motors.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish. 350 at the crank? That's easy, just spray it! :nos:

yeah

lol not a big nitrous fan I want the engine to actually have the power N.a

im planning on headers, underdrive pulley, intake stuff maybe 80mm TB, injectors, fuel pump, diablo sport chip, then eventually cams and heads, and def. new convertor and shift kit with 3:73s... its just tough to get good reviews on what works best from people, Im new to these engines lol I was getting used to the 5.0 world.. its tough now having to pay for 4 cams instead of one.. oh well
 

Jibit

Dearly Departed Friend
Joined
Mar 17, 2004
Messages
1,707
Reaction score
1
Location
Villa Park, IL
Well, if you're going NA, getting head work done is the best way to go IMO but with the other things you have listed I don't see 350hp being a problem ;)
 

Imperial pilot x

New LVC Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2004
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Syracuse
Jibit said:
Well, if you're going NA, getting head work done is the best way to go IMO but with the other things you have listed I don't see 350hp being a problem ;)


heh yeah i read some guy put swapping these 4.6 dohc into say my cougar is a waste of time and that there dog slow and too expensive to upgrad ( SCCOA probably just likes preserving their V6s)... i already have everything i need though... what do you think of this guys 5 cents ? :bsflag: ?? hehe
 

Jibit

Dearly Departed Friend
Joined
Mar 17, 2004
Messages
1,707
Reaction score
1
Location
Villa Park, IL
4.6 dog slow, that's a joke. These motors are extremely powerful and reliable and they react well to bolt ons. They just need to breathe better (heads and exhaust manifold). Stock the LSC's are rated 290HP. What's the 5.0 rated? 240?
 

SNK BITN

LVC Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Elgin, IL
Not only is does the 4.6 have the potential for a lot of power, they are damn reliable. My 4V had 102K miles and I was still hitting it with a 150 shot of nitrous. Most of the upgrades can be had through Summit, which I've found to be much cheaper. Any head or cam work is gonna be very expensive, remeber, your buying 4 cams, but at the same time, the stock cams should prove to be more than adequate for 300+ HP. Getting the heads machined and angled isnt gonna be cheap either, Fox Lake did mine and I almost shyt my pants when I got the bill for them.
 

SNK BITN

LVC Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Elgin, IL
I dont mind the negative comments about modulars anymore, its 90% ignorance. Anyone who knows the facts can tell you your making the right decision.
 
E

ERIC1

Guest
SNK BITN said:
I dont mind the negative comments about modulars anymore, its 90% ignorance. Anyone who knows the facts can tell you your making the right decision.
anyone busting yer ballz abot a modular motor is just pissed tha they aint got it. ohc, and 4vper cylinder c'mon whats not to love :L
Eric
 

Imperial pilot x

New LVC Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2004
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Syracuse
ERIC1 said:
anyone busting yer ballz abot a modular motor is just pissed tha they aint got it. ohc, and 4vper cylinder c'mon whats not to love :L
Eric

heh thansk guys.. actually now im kind of considering eventually getting a mild supercharger : ) maybe only 6 PSI on that stock engine but I dunno I think itd be worth it maybe see close to 400 hp.. this always happens i start obsessing .. but after seeing this one guys 94 with a blown 4.6 at least I know it will fit.. except the hood haha have to cut a hole. Any suggestions ? :Beer but once I go through with it this march ill be sure to show you guys pictures if you want and keep updated even though its neither a lincoln nor caddy heh :woowoo2: maybe I can get some whistle tips
 

SNK BITN

LVC Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Elgin, IL
Modulars loooove boost! Its normal for stock 4V's to see 10lbs+ boost without worry of failure. As long as you have the right fuel system to feed that charger, you should run reliably.
 

StraDog

Dedicated LVC Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2004
Messages
675
Reaction score
1
Location
Chicago, IL.
Hey SNK, What stage did you have them cnc port your heads at ?

I was reading through their site last night and started druling... Also did you upgrade to 99+ PI heads ?

I want to learn more about the 99+ PI heads and make try a project out of it soon.

Anyone know if the PI heads will fit onto a Mark VIII block properly ?
 

CaptainZilog

Turbo-riffic!
Joined
Mar 21, 2004
Messages
321
Reaction score
0
Location
Chicago, IL
Be careful what you run on that 4.6, for they don't really love boost. They have hypereutectic pistons and a high compression ratio, unless you're running an '03 DOHC Cobra motor. I'm serious. Those pistons melt at the slightest hint of detonation.
 

SC_Steve

Well-Known LVC Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2004
Messages
271
Reaction score
0
Location
Buffalo
CaptainZilog said:
Be careful what you run on that 4.6, for they don't really love boost. They have hypereutectic pistons and a high compression ratio, unless you're running an '03 DOHC Cobra motor. I'm serious. Those pistons melt at the slightest hint of detonation.

werd :iconcur:
 

Imperial pilot x

New LVC Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2004
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Syracuse
hmmm so forced induction a bad idea then ? on a 93 DOHC ? even if only 6 PSI ? they do have a decent compression ratio though... oh well I can never win easilly everything i get always needs something significant :( :Bang grrr thought i could reach 400 maybe without having to change anything oh wells :eek2:
 

CaptainZilog

Turbo-riffic!
Joined
Mar 21, 2004
Messages
321
Reaction score
0
Location
Chicago, IL
It's not so bad, but you have to either increase combustion chamber size (by larger/layering head gaskets or head work) or run very low boost. If you upgrade the fuel system, you can run boost safely, but it's really a teetering act. If you f' it up, your motor will not survive. Those blocks are stout as hell, though. 1,000HP, easy. If you can get a cheap forged rotating mass from a Cobra (or even the motor) and you're serious about making this thing fast, that's what you should do.

You want 400HP N/A? Cams. That's the only way. However, camshafts for a 4.6L Mod motor are expensive as @%$#! You could try to stroke it, but that's not cheap either. Basically, you need more flow than the stock intake and heads can provide, plus once you hit about 320HP, your injectors (which run at 19 lbs/hr) won't provide enough flow at nominal pressure to support that power.

Regardless, there is nothing you can do to that motor that will be cheap. Injectors are probaly the cheapest thing, because they cross over from the 5.0HO. Power = money. That saying is never wrong, and you need to determine how much power is worth to you.
 

CaptainZilog

Turbo-riffic!
Joined
Mar 21, 2004
Messages
321
Reaction score
0
Location
Chicago, IL
Jibit said:
4.6 dog slow, that's a joke. These motors are extremely powerful and reliable and they react well to bolt ons. They just need to breathe better (heads and exhaust manifold). Stock the LSC's are rated 290HP. What's the 5.0 rated? 240?
5.0HO is rated at 225 HP, however it lays down 300 ft/lbs of torque @ 3800RPM with CRAP heads. New heads and intake alone push it almost to 400 ft/lbs.
 

viiiball

Well-Known LVC Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2004
Messages
420
Reaction score
0
Location
holden
Imperial pilot x said:
Hi I just purchased a 4.6 out of a 93 Mark for my 94 cougar and we are doing the swap in spring.. I was going to buy a new GTO but can not afford payments and I got the cougar for free.. So i was looking to try and push it to around 350 hp to compensate for the cougars 3700 pnd weight. Is it just me or is it hard to find alot of 4.6 dohc aftermarket parts ?? any suggestions to achieve this level and what these engines respond to best ?? Thanks

- Don


www.lincolnmotorsport.com also try www.supercoupeperformance.com those should be more than enough parts and help there to help you get your fix!!!!!! :L
 

Imperial pilot x

New LVC Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2004
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Syracuse
re

yeah I think Im just going to go N.A and invest in some aftermarket P.I heads and some nice cams for when I do the swap..

I saw an article where they tested bolt ons on a 2v 4.6 on an 04 mustang ( 260 hp ) basically started at 230 Rwhp and after a bunch of external bolt ons without the use of a chip or anything.. they got it up to 278 Rwhp. After that they dug into the engine and put like mild P.I heads and stage 2 cams.. I cant remember but it was nothing too extreme but good enough to make good power. I am sure if they invested more or even higher stage cams with higher flow heads obviously would have had even better results... but after the head and cam they had around 325 Rwhp. So finally somewhere answered my question.. so overall they got almost 100 hp ( could have easilly increased)overall the parts they got cost around 4 - 5 grand. I dont think that is bad at all. However come to think of it obviously having a 4V means the cams and heads will cost a bit more for me but I have a 20 - 30 hp advantage to start. I dont know if the DOHC will make a difference and respond better to different valvetrain components but who knows, if theyre 2V responded that well I am guessing my 4.6 dohc should as well, and hopefully when im done should hit close to 400 hp mark. I am looking to try to skim the 12s now and am starting to gut out my cougar to shed the 3700 pnd weight some to pick up speed. I also am getting a precision lock up converter, transgo shiftkit, 3:73s out back, and a good set of Bf drag radials and of course setting up the suspension a bit different. I think with all of the listed 12s should be no problem especially once cutting down the weight hopefully below 3500. I expect the whole project to cost under 10 grand, not bad considering my car was Free LOL, and This was my alternative to leasing a new GTO and going into debt... hehe let the fun begin :dancefool
 

unstoppable

Well-Known LVC Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2004
Messages
376
Reaction score
2
Marks came with 24 # injectors not 19s like the mustang.

Our engines dont share anything with the old 5.0.
 

CaptainZilog

Turbo-riffic!
Joined
Mar 21, 2004
Messages
321
Reaction score
0
Location
Chicago, IL
unstoppable said:
Marks came with 24 # injectors not 19s like the mustang.

Our engines dont share anything with the old 5.0.

They are the same style (Bosch, low-impedence). You can buy 5.0L injectors and put them in there.
 

1wykdmk8

LvC Dues Collector
Joined
Mar 15, 2004
Messages
3,494
Reaction score
1
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
unstoppable said:
Our engines dont share anything with the old 5.0.

I know of one part that they do share....at least the '93 that is.....none of the other ones...... :N
 
E

ERIC1

Guest
CaptainZilog said:
They are the same style (Bosch, low-impedence). You can buy 5.0L injectors and put them in there.
hold on 1 sec i think we are glossing over a big thing here. are the stock injectors of a mark 8 19 or 24lbhr? makes a difference no?
Eric
 

CaptainZilog

Turbo-riffic!
Joined
Mar 21, 2004
Messages
321
Reaction score
0
Location
Chicago, IL
I thought the 8 was 19 lb/hr. I don't see why Ford would put 24's on a car that doesn't produce 300hp.
 

unstoppable

Well-Known LVC Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2004
Messages
376
Reaction score
2
CaptainZilog said:
I thought the 8 was 19 lb/hr. I don't see why Ford would put 24's on a car that doesn't produce 300hp.

Nope, 24s.

The 19s were on the mustang that only made 225 HP at the BEST.

These cars make 280-290, thats why.
 

Members online

Top