Help me redo my exhaust

seanklsc

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Last year I purchased a complete cat-back exhaust from a Gen 2 parts car cause it was a good deal. It consisted of the X-pipe, 2.5" tubing, and two LMS XpansionX stainless steel mufflers w/ tips all welded together in one piece, cut at the cat piping.

It was supposed to be a drop in replacement to my exhaust. I was thinking since it came from a Mark 8 (gen2), it will fit my Mark 8 (gen1), but it didn't happen like that. When I got to my exhaust shop we discovered that the pipe after the X did not lay correctly in the trench below the driveshaft, the mufflers were too close together, and the muffler tips were designed for a Gen 2 so they didn't fit in my bumper cutouts.

I was so pissed off. At myself, that is. That was my punishment for buying used parts for my prized possession. But, now what could I do? Have them weld the original exhaust back on? I couldn't. I ended up leaving the pipe outside the trench (lost about an inch and a half of ground clearance), and welding two new pipes before the mufflers so they were placed under the exhaust tips.

The result? Vibrations, drone, losing ground clearance, and having my mufflers stick out like sore thumbs in the back. The rear view doesn't look too good because the mufflers are so low and the tips don't fit in the cutouts.

So what should I do? The X is the only thing that works in the whole setup. Should I replace everything after the X? What should I replace it with? I'm trying to avoid drone/vibration. Keeping the price down is a priority as well.

I'll tell you what I really do like though... some guy on here has these beautiful polished Mustang LX type tailpipes sticking out the rear of his Gen1 LSC. It's beautiful. I can't find the pictures, does anyone know what car I'm talking about?

I found the pics. They belong to LSC32V8FJKLJFDJF or whatever his name is, haha.

I think they look pretty mean, and I'm pretty sure this is the first set of LX style tails I've seen on a Mark 8. It's very common to put them on the Mark 7 though. I guess that's why I like them so much.

i-MarkVIII%20Back&Drvr.JPG

i-MarkVIII%20Pipes.JPG

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=672

I actually may be interested in replacing that X-pipe with a dual/dual resinator (with built in X-pipe). This would fix that horrible drone that is rattling my brain. Can anyone recommend a good one?

seanklsc said:
I actually may be interested in replacing that X-pipe with a dual/dual resinator (with built in X-pipe). This would fix that horrible drone that is rattling my brain. Can anyone recommend a good one?

just bout every one is using the magnaflow d.i./d.o. there are alot of different ones..

I have a D/D magnaflow on my car and i think the part # is 12468. Let me check on that though.

My exhaust is stock LSC issue. I slid 12" glass paks into those tips and used a 90 degree elbow to tie it to the stock exhaust. Those pipes are a bit bigger than GT pipes, they are 4" diameter. I plan to do my exhaust the same as MarkVIII93 when I get to it, but I'm going to use the same tips but without the glass packs. I don't think I'll ever not have those pipes, they just seem to belong there. Get alot of compliments too

seanklsc said:
How much did you pay for the X pipe and LMS XpansionX Mufflers W/Tips Because I have a Gen1 and thinking buying a set also they look&sound awesome.

When I change my exhaust I will sell them to you for cheap, alright? If you like you can have the whole catback... find a friend with a pickup truck and come down to Brooklyn.

seanklsc said:
When I change my exhaust I will sell them to you for cheap, alright? If you like you can have the whole catback... find a friend with a pickup truck and come down to Brooklyn.
I'll send you a pm thanks

Get a hold of NickT on FvC and let him do your exhaust. He's got pictures of his old '93 (or was it '94?) that he did exhaust work on.

I actually asked him to do my exhaust but he was busy, so I went to everyone's favorite Brooklyn guy in Coney Island. They did a great job making it fit when it wasn't supposed to. One weird thing though, they didn't have any flanges.. ball joints.. whatever you call them.

I still need to figure out what hardware I want to get...

Anyone that needs exhaust done right please come to me, I hate hearing stories like this, bad workmanship and stuff. The shop my friend has that I use is in Northern NJ, Ramsey. Seriously, any car, but I have done many MArk VIII's and VII's and my friend and I are very meticulous with exhaust. If something does not fit or look right it gets redone, Period!!! Just bring it!!!!!!!!!!

I'd just like to say that the Meinekee did a very good job given what they had, they were given a complete catback already welded together that didn't fit my car, and they made it fit for a decent price. It was all my fault for not researching whether a Gen2 layout was the same as a Gen 1.

What do you guys think about this setup...

I have to keep my cats, I'm regged in NY and tested for emissions. This may be a good thing in my case, because I'm think I may want to use a single muffler. The cats would actually make it a bit quieter. What do you guys think?

wlk-17552_cutaway.jpg

Dynomax Ultra Flo X Mufflers

I would place this Dual In/Dual Out muffler with built in X where the 3rd cat used to go and run 2.5" pipe to the rear. If it's too loud, I may be able to just cut the pipe at the trunk and put 2 more mufflers in.

Would this setup cause too much drone? I don't want drone!! Is it stupid to put 2 more mufflers on if I don't like it?

Once again, my goal is to create an exotic sound, not too Mustangish, without the brain rattling drone.

NYC LSC said:
Nick had something similar on his car, without cats and an x-pipe, and it sounded very raspy at WOT. He then added a muffler on each side before the bumper and the thing sounded WICKED. I was going to get the same thing done on mine, but I gave the car to my old man.

Anyways, it might not sound too raspy if you're still gonna run cats.
I want to gut my cats this summer but heres what it sounds like this with cats....http://media.putfile.com/markVIII-01799

Sounds good.... I'm replacing mine with that setup and some 4" Magnaflow SS long tips out the rear. I am currently running a 2.5" exhaust with a single X pipe and Magnaflow SS mufflers. It's got a deep sound, but not enough. I think I want more attention now or something. If I do the Kooks midlength's with some high flow cats, and a Dual 2 in 2 out, I may add some sort of mufflers, cuz I know it will be a bit raspy.

Im sort of unhappy with the way my exhaust sounds. Thats why im gutting the cats this summer. I wanted more of a raspy hotrod tone rather than a deep mellow tone.

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC said:
I wonder how the 4" tip would effect the sound? Thats how I'm doing mine.

It does make things a lot louder.

My '87 has 3" tips, and before that was just 2.5" pipe, angle-cut under the bumper, with 40 series Flows. Before the tips the car was loud, but not LOUD. I noticed it as soon as we got done welding the tips and I started it up. The car was SO loud with the Flows and tips that I got pulled over on the highway and given a summons for "unreasonable noise". The Flows are now long gone replaced with Dynomx Ultra Flows.

So yeah, it'll get louder. lol

i was going to use this as a tip w/ dual mufflers midmount and a x pipe b4 and after the mufflers here is a systems used on a tbird

boom.gif

exhaust.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back