HELP Key stuck in igntion

whatsupadrian

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well I just parked my car like always and tried to turn off my car, I couldnt remove my key. I cant turn the car off either, I can kill the motor but the key is still in the on position. I can start the car back up and cycle through the gears. It says R, N, D, 3, 2, 1. However when i have the car in Park, theres no P. I am at a complete loss right now could anyone please lend some assistance.

2001 lincoln ls v8.

Does it feel like it's jamming or getting wedged when you put it into Park? Like not totally seating into the park posistion?

I found a paperclip down in my shifter area in the last couple days. Something may be jammed down in there not allowing you to get all the way into Park... like the others have said. The top part of that shifter console comes off without any screws etc... start at the back where the rear passenger vents are... the vents will pop off starting at the bottom. Take that off, then you can lift the center shifter console up and take it out, and then have a look around in there. Here's what it will look like taken off (I had some other dash parts out too in this pic, but you won't have to remove anything else). There will be one cabled plug that can be removed, allowing the top to come off completely.

0220121838_01.jpg

it seems and feels normal, i put it on a steep driveway to see if it actually was parking and it is... Ill take the center console out and have a look but I think it something else.

Try pushing the shifter handle forward more with the shifter button squeezed when turning the key to off. (You've probably already tried that though). Something is obviously wrong, but it may allow you to get the key out for the night until you can find the problem.

If you have to leave the key in there, in the "On" position, for the night:

Lower the drivers window completely.
Release and lower the rear seats (in case someone closes the trunk later).
Open the trunk and remove the ground cable from the battery.
Leave the trunk lid open for the night.
(In case you don't have a 2nd key or the key lock in the trunk doesn't work... which has happened).

Hopefully it will be garaged for the night... (i.e. not sitting outside).

ok found the problem, luckily for now, its an easy fix. So I was thinking, since the car is actually parked, the problem must be electical, So i take apart the center console and start poking around. I dont see any immediate problems and then I notice a little switch that is jammed a little. I press it in straight and press it a few time and what do you know, the key came out. I took a closeup picture of the culprit. it was jammed crucked a little and wouldnt press all the way in.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Cool. You can sleep well tonight. Glad you got around the problem.

I wanted to put it off and address it tomorrow, but ur right, i wouldnt have slept well, if at all. I do have a garage but still, I hate when I have care issues. Im just glad its fixed, and hope someone finds this useful in the future. I found a couple people online who had similar issues but no resolution.

Holt sh!t man, you could feed a family with all that food and beverage debris!

OK. key got stuck on me again this morning. So looks like i need a new part. Anyone care to venture a guess as to what that part is called or what the part number is? I hope its not part of the entire assembly, if it is i might have to rig something to make it work. Thanks

Is the switch actuator sticking? You might be able to clean and lube it. It might not hurt to clean and lube all the parts involved. If the switch contacts or springs are shot you will need a new one. Good Luck

Is the switch actuator sticking? You might be able to clean and lube it. It might not hurt to clean and lube all the parts involved. If the switch contacts or springs are shot you will need a new one. Good Luck

I think the switch is shot internally, ill lube it up for the meantime.

I think the switch is shot internally, ill lube it up for the meantime.

The contacts may have oxidized. I been able to restore similar switches with contact cleaner spray, but it only lasts a few months.

So, $180 for two $2 micro-switches...

Its not the contacts, the the actual mechanism that makes the button go in straight is shot. Its happening almost every time i put the key in now, for the meantime i will prob make that switch hang out of the center console and press it manually. Perhaps ill even solder in a new switch and retrofit something in there.

Its not the contacts, the the actual mechanism that makes the button go in straight is shot. Its happening almost every time i put the key in now, for the meantime i will prob make that switch hang out of the center console and press it manually. Perhaps ill even solder in a new switch and retrofit something in there.

It that case, it's not the switch assembly that you need to replace.

For now, WD-40 is WINNING. Was getting stuck every time, now its gone all day without getting stuck, lets see how long this lasts.

Shifters come up on ebay occasionally, or can be easy to pull from a junkyard. They tend to sell for ~$50.

Members online

Back