Help!!! Help!!! Help!!!

russellhyde

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My Red Car's IMRC issue has finally gotten the best of me (see my pics), my car will start now but once it warms up all it will do is sputter, is there anyone in the Dallas area that can help me?

What year? you can free them up by hand if there stuck open/closed.

It's a 98, where do I need to go under the hood to do that? A guy tried that for me a year ago but he's not here now, he moved back to Florida earlier this year.

You can take off your intake manifold and clean them and put it back together in about an hour.

I dont see how a stuck IMRC would cause a car to sputter.

if the intake or the IMRC plates are leaking that could cause a sputtering issue

no quick easy fix for leaking IMRC's other than pull the intake and replace the gaskets

Yes I have a check engine light

XLRVIII I talked to you & Eddie about this issue last year.

^ yea, but still.... sputtering isn't gonna be a stuck IMRC.
it's more than likely going to be a intake manifold leak.

Intake manifold leak?

Last year the dealer told me it was the imrc & Eddie finally concluded to that also after looking at several times, what do you think I should do?

well unless the internal shaft in the IMRC plate is leaking causing a vacuum leak I dont think it's the IMRC's.

I've seen 3-4 cars that either ran poorly or had lean bank 1 and lean bank 2 codes and it was intake manifold gaskets.

it's not a fun job, but it's also not too bad.
I'd chunk a set of intake gaskets on it, and clean the IMRC plates while you have the intake off.

What if any CEL codes you you currently have?

you can reach behind the intake and manually pull the IMRC cables.
that will tell you if they are stuck.

I think you have two seperate issues.
more than likely you do have an IMRC problem, probably one stuck open.
Which will be a p1519 code if I remember correct.

but your sputtering, poor running condition could be serveral things.
I'd chunk plugs at it for starters, checking for oil on the plugs an indication of a possible vacuum leak in the valve covers, allowing unmetered air to enter the system.

Intake gaskets are also suspect.

Can one person put the intake manifold gaskets w/o an extra set of hands? Do the bolts have to be torqued down? How long does it take? And what do you clean the imrc's with?

I'm not sure what you mean by CEL codes. Lean bank 1 and lean bank 2 codes were some of the codes I got last year though, My dad & I tried changing an intake manifold gasket once on my second Gen 1 I had back in 2001 and the car ran worse when we put it back together So I'm a little nervous about messing w/that again. That's why I asked if the bolts had to be torqued back down.

uhmmm yes you have to torque down the intake bolts.

That's probably why you failed on the first gen gasket replacement.

Using a torque sequence that evenly presses the intake against the gasket.

if you dont follow the torque sequence and the torque specs you might as well just chunk the gasket in the garbage can.

I would pull the intake manifold off clean them and replace the gaskets, it's not like it could hurt...

I'll bet the torque rating on those is like 76inlbs...

I'm not sure what you mean by CEL codes. Lean bank 1 and lean bank 2 codes were some of the codes I got last year though, QUOTE]

CEL= Check Engine Light

lean bank 1 and lean back 2 are either
1. bad maf sensor
2. intake manifold leak

Chances are it's gonna be an intake leak

He has a new MAF. Russell did you replace the fuel pump and filter. You need to get in touch with Arron. He will do it for you if you need it done. now i do remember something about it would be worse when it was low on fuel. and it was originally a hard stumble and then lack of power. during WOT

i think eddie replaced the maf about the same time as i did on my thunderbird i remember eddie telling me about it if the check engine light is on get the codes from autozone and get the print out it will help alot in finding this issue if the car knows what is wrong and russel im off today and tomorrow come by and let me see it

Sorry fellas!!!

Didn't mean to drop off the earth, my dad & I replaced the maf last summer & I've had a check engine light since then

Maybe a proper fuel pressure test could be in order?

TEST? hell I'd just chunk a pump at it.

the PSI test more times than not makes the owner think everyting is ok...
Because the "idle" pressue is right in spec.
problem is.. fuel delivery under WOT isn't the same at "idle".. and not many people "properly" test WOT fuel pressure or volume.

I would
replace the intake gaskets and or put a fuel pump it it.. likely both.

Chances are your pump is weak if your mileage is over 75K.
they fail usually right around 150K.

So if your between 75K and 150K your right in the window of fuel pump replacement regardless if it's the actual issue you are chasing.

I still think you have an intake gasket leak.

I have 164k on it right now & you all have mentioned getting a SVT Focus fuel pump before, I guess I need to start thinking about that again.

I have 164k on it right now & you all have mentioned getting a SVT Focus fuel pump before, I guess I need to start thinking about that again.

Tiffs pump died at 150K
My pump died at 150K

You are beyond "borrowed time"....

GUYS, it worked!!! The doggone Sea Foam worked again! I can't believe it! I ran 3 cans of it through the PCV valve hose and the Red is back up & running again, I've been driving it to work & my son's school the past 3 days since running it on Tuesday & blowing it out each time, it responded after the first blowout but I ran two more cans anyway. Aaron's girl's car broke down on her Monday so he had to work on hers Tuesday instead but this worked out real good. I still can't believe it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back