help ahhhhhh!!!!

shiryu0

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
my first electrical problem............weeeeeee :(

1. going to work this morning, cruise control stopped working, turned it off....i was going into town....would not turn back on.............

2. got to work, parked to open up our gate, got back in the car, turned the car on, would not come out of park......you couldnt hear the shift lock coming off when u pressed the brake pedal.......

- now for those that may not know, if you turn the key to the first position, u can move the shifter into any position........

3. started the car in neutral, drove reverse/drive fine, but wont come out of park........

4. no brake lights

5. no parking lights front or rear..........

6. all turn signals work.............

7. HID's work, so do high beams........yay!

8. dash Fuse 32 (brake on/off switch / brake pressure switch) blown, replaced it, it blew again......

im thinking brake switch?

anybody have this happen to them?

Im thinking trunk harness. The trunk harness is a known gremlin that screws with the brake lights, etc. Since you have a 98 the brake lights MUST work to get out of park (unless you do your trick). Since the cruise works off the brakes being activated, well... and the list goes on.

So my first though its to open the trunk and look to the harness along the left hinge. Open it up were it may have a kink and inspect/repair wires.

Thats all I can think of that would do all this. Worth a check! Let us know!

sup O!!!!!!!!
mine did the exact same thing a week ago, thats the fuse for the brake psi switch (recall, and parts finally available) reach up under in front of the pass tire under the liner there is the connector for the switch (2 wire rectangle black connector squeeze the 2 small sides together and pull down) unplugging the switch, replace fuse and go to dealer for free repair

unity i checked my wiring in the trunk it seemed fine, some of the tape is coming off of it though.........

chicken i pulled the pressure switch harness, it still blew the fuse with the switch unplugged.........

so i dont think its the pressure switch :confused:

did the recalled switch went out on yours????

i ordered the brake on/off switch its supposed to come in tomorrow......

Hmm.... well I would still take some of the coverings off and inspect the wires.

Does the trunk-pop button on the door work all the time? How about the remote?

@$%&#$^*&#$*!!!!!!! i hate electrical stuff........ :mad:

put the new brake on/off swith in, same thing blew the fuse....... :shifty:

time to bust out the service manual :D

first thing i noticed that was not working was the cruising control.......

so did the cruise control self diag test and gave me a code for the brake pressure swith circuit........

YAY.......so now gonna go check the circuit and this wonderful NEW recalled swith............. :rolleyes:

It is a bit of a challenge to reach

brakeswitch.jpg

Its a bugger on our 93's. Be easy on Shiryu0's though.

oh the joy.....

Pinpoint Test D: Flash Code 3 - Deactivator Swith Circuit Failure

D1 - Measure voltage between circuit 146 (w/pk), and ground.

Photo0728Medium.jpg

second one on the left.........

- Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?

YEP, getting full 12 volts.............

--> Yes - REPLACE speed control servo

Photo0729Medium.jpg

bleh............... :mad:

wow that sux man ive changed out a few, not for blown fuses just not working, but at least you found the problem, have you tried another fuse with the servo disconnected?

i tried another fuse with the servo disconnected......it still blew it..........:confused:

wont blow the fuse till i press the brake to get out of park.......

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I still think its a trunk harness issue. Something is shorting it out and the harness can do that.

id check the resistance to ground after the switch (one side will have power, with another fuse of course) if it gives you a number, and it probably will theres your short. id start by unplugging the brake lights and checking the resistance, then the neon, and so on and so on and so on, till there is no longer a short, there should be some main harness connectors between the switch and the lights, just follow the wires and unplug each connector till the short is disconnected then at least you know where to look

*drum roll*

my neon ballast is dead..........unity was right problem was in the back.

unplugged it, replaced fuse 32, back to normal........except no parking lights, fuse 31 was blown too............

damn thing this threw me in a f%#@%&@%^%ing loop..............:mad:

so how do i get a hold of glitch, ive read about his ballast.

Hey now, only maybe part right. Have you tried putting 12 volt directly to the ballast? Spare battery sorta thing? I dont wanna keep beating a dead horse, but that trunk harness has bit a a few in the ass! Just want to make sure its indeed the ballast and not the harness. :)

But at least you got it narrowed down! Always a goof feeling. I was starting to think the interior would have to come out next to inspect all the wiring!

i checked the harness for continuity with my meter it checked out fine, took it out, checked it again, moving the harness around and wires were good, then i taped up the piece that was uncovered and added more to the part were it bends......... everything is working fine now, except the neon, left it unplugged..........looks like crap with no neon on :(

i think the trunk wire issue that unity speaks of is more of a gen 1 problem. glad you found the prob, too bad about your ballast though :( but dont feel too bad my ballast is bad too, it just dont blow fuses

Members online

No members online now.
Back