Help a new guy out! :)

whoa, what are your trying to do, get somebody hurt?

that sh!t kicks like a three legged ninja!

flipped-integra-vtec-just-kicked-in-yo.jpg

vtec_just_kicked_in_yo_by_ironmaster99-d3fih1o.jpg

flipped-integra-vtec-just-kicked-in-yo.jpg

vtec_just_kicked_in_yo_by_ironmaster99-d3fih1o.jpg

Dis you buy the LS?

I love this car and it loves money and DIY mechanics (only because its the only way I can justify keeping it). My wife was stranded for the last time, now this is my primary car and I love this car. I bought a 02 Lincoln LS V8 (Sliver Frost) exactly like yours Jan 2012 (97K). The engine overheated, I did not understand the car. Anyway, put a 66K engine int it, new thermostat, DCCV valve, radiator and learned how to bleed the air out of the cooling system. No more cooling problems. I also had to replace the valve cover gaskets, O-rings for the plug wells, installed new Iridium Autolite plugs, runs great today no more misfires. The front end became noisy the longer I owned it, it was time (I later figured out); replaced upper & lower froint A-Frames, had ball joint pressed (Moog); rear upper a frames , new shocks (coil over shocks) all the way around, drives like its brand new. I now have 121785 on it an plan to keep it for life, I have over 15K invetsed in this car worth $3850 or so according to KBB. So a spare car for your wife and kid, maybe but not likely as the miles are put on . If you really love the car, you drive it and TLC on every issue and get your wife another car, I kinda learned the hard way.. Read a lot of "posts". Its a great car enginnered ok with substandard parts, thats all..

LOL! As if some here think a BMW or Mercedes or others are way more reliable 10-15 year old cars.

Its a lot about doing the Fluids. At 100k plus miles. What kinda gas was run in it? Correct type "FORD" fluids? Changed?

Correct tires? Not low profile? Hard sidewall, beating up the LS suspension early? All previous owner drove over speed bumps like they are suppose to? Which car company use lifetime indestructible rubber on their control arms lasting forever?

Every time a Coil pack went in my 194K 02 LS V8 Sport, I was happy as hell it was not the engine knocking or lost of compression. I'd take that $50-$100 problem any day!

Any front main seals, rear main seal problems? Timing belt water pump replacement? Cam shaft problems? LS overheating WOW overheating protection and a Water bottle. Rather have a head gasket problem or a $100 water bottle or a Valve cover gasket problem? Think about it!

Rather buy a $350-$600 alternator or a $125 one? How many rear differential makes a "whining noise" problem has your LS had?

So you bought a used car with 3,4,5,6 previous owners and all of them maintained the car? Yea Right.
Funny how there are people here with the same LS cars with 150k - 250k miles.

Had problems? Track down "Your Car's" maintenance and Service History.

Most original owners that paid $30k-$47 were not cheap on maintaining, not the 1st buyer. Its a Lincoln "Luxury Car", treat it like one or get rid of it!

I'm on my 3rd LS and I must admit I have had good luck with my LS's it maybe cuz I already know what to expect and I fix the issues right away. but I must admit the coil issue is the worst issue ever. it fails too much and if you wait too long then your cats fails aswell. I think the issue is the initial price of the car. you can get a gen2 for that much and that amount of miles heck I got my 06 with 34k for 10k and that was 3 years ago.

LOL! As if some here think a BMW or Mercedes or others are way more reliable 10-15 year old cars.

its kinda weird, most of the people I know that have had BMWs have had amazing reliability, and fairly low cost of repairs (for a luxury car...) but a lot of the benzes have been complete money holes...

for instance, my GM just traded in his S63 that was maybe three years old because it had to go into the dealer almost once every single month and toward the end, they were starting to become things that were not being covered under warranty.

its kinda weird, most of the people I know that have had BMWs have had amazing reliability, and fairly low cost of repairs (for a luxury car...) but a lot of the benzes have been complete money holes...

for instance, my GM just traded in his S63 that was maybe three years old because it had to go into the dealer almost once every single month and toward the end, they were starting to become things that were not being covered under warranty.

Well I've had 3 BMW's. None were reliable. I never wanted to tell anybody that I was spending Big money on repairs on my BMW, and most other proud BMW owners don't either. I-Drive Sucks, my friend just had a newer 5 series, and he spend about 2k-3k every 3-4 months on stupid problems even tho he maintained it well.

Again lets match up a 10-15 year old used car BMW 5 series( 2000-2006) to a 10-15 year olds LS with equal miles. If you know BMW's and take it to the BMW dealer shop, there will be a 4k-6k service needed to get back up to shape. (Cam shaft seals, rear main seals, belts hoses, water pump, front main seals, which ironically cost about $100 in parts!

http://www.truedelta.com/2006-BMW-5-Series/repair-histories-20
Price these repair with a BMW dealer or independent BMW repair shop.

ex, BMW Electric water pump replacement. (Frequent problem $650 part, 4.5 hours labor@ $120 per hour. And we bitch about a $125-$160 1hr labor Degas bottle. LOL!

Hey guys i need quick advice on a car I'm looking at. It's an 2001 Lincoln LS with 93,000 miles. The car appears to be in excellent condition, the previous owner has records of the car being serviced and includes some services to the HVAC system, coil packs, spark plugs, and I think valve cover gaskets. I'll post some pictures, he was asking 7500 but I got him down to 5,000. The price was highly over inflated to begin with and I let him know that. I need this car to be dependable for my wife to drive to work and drop my kids off at daycare. I also need something that doesn't break down every 5,000 miles. I'm going to go buy it tomorrow if it checks out. It was originally purchased in Michigan so I will be checking HEAVILY for rust. I would like to add that I am moderately mechanically inclined, I used to build natural gas compressors. Are parts crazy expensive for this car? Please let me know what you think! EDIT: CAR IS A V8
lincoln1_zpsle2bzzsd.jpg
http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag285/Hcollett25/lincoln 3_zpsokmdxjke.jpg

IMO the 02 was the most reliable of all the LS's. There were some upgraded engine reliability parts. I just looked and waited for 3-4 months to buy a low miles 06. If I were you I would be patience search out a 250 mile area for everything available in a 02 V8 Sport. The trip is well worth it as opposed to trips to the shop and parts store on the wrong car.

Look for a 1 owner 02, with service history and clean Carfax. Get the car checked out before you buy. Deduct the cost of repairs needed from the selling price. When you get it, change to the correct Ford fluids, flush & replace. Keep looking for the right 02 V8 Sport. You will be glad you waited.

IMO the 02 was the most reliable of all the LS's. There were some upgraded engine reliability parts. I just looked and waited for 3-4 months to buy a low miles 06. If I were you I would be patience search out a 250 mile area for everything available in a 02 V8 Sport. The trip is well worth it as opposed to trips to the shop and parts store on the wrong car.

Look for a 1 owner 02, with service history and clean Carfax. Get the car checked out before you buy. Deduct the cost of repairs needed from the selling price. When you get it, change to the correct Ford fluids, flush & replace. Keep looking for the right 02 V8 Sport. You will be glad you waited.

are you stupid?

What at all gives you any idea that an 02 is the most reliable?

Please prove to me that they more reliable than a second gen... I'll wait. Also I don't need your anecdotal evidence about the one you own.

are you stupid?

What at all gives you any idea that an 02 is the most reliable?

Please prove to me that they more reliable than a second gen... I'll wait. Also I don't need your anecdotal evidence about the one you own.

Am I stupid?

Like posting childish 4th grade name calling on the Forum like you did? Or is it that you need to take a pill for your overeating and lack of Adult communications skills?

I notice you asked me to prove "that they more reliable than a second gen...", but offered Zero reasons for your own claim of Gen 2 being better than Gen 1. At that rate you'll be waiting for a long time. Grow up.

For me, one big thing is the timing chain tensioner problem the the 1st gen V8s are subject to. The 2nd gen V8s don't seem to have that problem. Late 2002s may have the improved tensioners, but early 2002 don't.
Of course, the 2nd gen did introduce a few new problems too, but those are not difficult/expensive to fix.

Am I stupid?

Like posting childless 4th grade name calling on the Forum like you did? Or is it that you need to take a pill for your overeating and lack of Adult communications skills?

I notice you asked me to prove "that they more reliable than a second gen...", but offered Zero reasons for your own claim of Gen 2 being better than Gen 1. At that rate you'll be waiting for a long time. Grow up.

I'm happy to know you have never said something negative to someone, such a great person. You made the claim, the burden of proof would then be on you, so go for it great guy with the highest IQ on the globe.

I'm happy to know you have never said something negative to someone, such a great person. You made the claim, the burden of proof would then be on you, so go for it great guy with the highest IQ on the globe.

Who said negative? You said "stupid". I said you said something childish. I should be happy that someone calls me stupid? Because I have a opinion as a owner for 11 years and have talked to lots of Ford/Lincoln Techs who both own the LS themselves, and have been working on them for 15 years.

Now you insult me again with another immature comment. Calm down, get a better nights sleep tonight and have a nice day.

Some people are attached to this data but fail to realize its small sample size (about 1200 vehicles).

Also worth mentioning that whenever the date was gathered, the 1st Gen's and 02 would have been 1-4 years older, and on average with higher miles, than the newer year, lower miles Gen 2. I would expect a newer model, low miles model to be more reliable to that fact.

Think about it.

so because you have one you then think it's better than any other year, why? What leads you to this answer.

Also it brings me even more joy to know you never act immaturely on ye olde webernets.

With the slew of documented problems between the two generations, I would say 2nd gen are more reliable although neither are a reliable car in comparison to most cars.

With all the updates in the 5r55s trans over the 5r55n there is one huge difference. there are tons of changes that happened going into the second gen. Both are riddled with problems.

Either way, I wouldn't let someone on the internet calling me stupid get so under my bunched up panties.

Again I ask for your proof of why the 2002 is the most reliable iteration of the LS...

good day

Also worth mentioning that whenever the date was gathered, the 1st Gen's and 02 would have been 1-4 years older, and on average with higher miles, than the newer year, lower miles Gen 2. I would expect a newer model, low miles model to be more reliable to that fact.

Think about it.

It literally would have nothing to do with that. For accurate data you would look at what is happening at the cars at the same millage, so 2000 at 100,000 miles had what failures and a 2nd gen when at 100,000 miles had what failures. You don't say the 2000 with 200,000 has more problems than the 2006 with 60,000....

It literally would have nothing to do with that. For accurate data you would look at what is happening at the cars at the same millage, so 2000 at 100,000 miles had what failures and a 2nd gen when at 100,000 miles had what failures. You don't say the 2000 with 200,000 has more problems than the 2006 with 60,000....

Your opinion does not hold water. The Gen2 is a newer model with less age ( and in theory less miles) on the parts than the Gen1. Period.

And I guess you've missed all the Trans Solenoid Pack/PCM Gen2 problem threads here.

What years do you see more here??? Just answer the question with a simple Gen1 & Gen2, without diversion please. http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/search.php?searchid=774186

Oh wait, in fact, I noticed you posted advise in a lot the the Gen2 Tranny threads problems, yourself.

so because you have one you then think it's better than any other year, why? What leads you to this answer.

Also it brings me even more joy to know you never act immaturely on ye olde webernets.

With the slew of documented problems between the two generations, I would say 2nd gen are more reliable although neither are a reliable car in comparison to most cars.

With all the updates in the 5r55s trans over the 5r55n there is one huge difference. there are tons of changes that happened going into the second gen. Both are riddled with problems.

Either way, I wouldn't let someone on the internet calling me stupid get so under my bunched up panties.

Again I ask for your proof of why the 2002 is the most reliable iteration of the LS...

good day

BTW/FYI your wrong again I don't have one. I have 2. A 02 & 06.

Ehh, age would still be a factor. Maybe not as important as mileage, but something to do with it. I think the "data" shows both increases and decreases depending on how you extrapolate it. My problem is its ambiguity. I like what they are trying to do over there, but without more information on the metrics involved and collection methods(number per model year, etc.) its kind of a garbage statistic bank. People may have other reasons for recommending the '02, but this shouldn't be one of them.

Look guy, you are just not picking up.

To compare the reliability you have to look at intervals meaning what issues are happening with 2000, 2001 and 2002, when they respectively hit an equal mileage, hopefully at as close as possible same respective age. Here have a little table

Year Mileage age(years) problems
2000 100000 10 broken tensioners
2000 100000 9.5 broken tensioners, wheel bearings
2001 100000 9.75 ...............

the data for the 2000 would have been collected in 2010 and then the 2001 in 2011 and so on, to keep the age and mileage as comparable as possible. Hell we could if the data is gathered break it down by region if you want. Hell why why not age of owner, race, gender, and how many windows they have in the house....

So there the age of the car would not matter nor it's build date to show reliability. This is how you compare them using intervals like I said.

holds water like a lake buddy, also your link takes you nowhere.

also what is the years question, where is here, on the forum, in your post, in america, as gen 2 was produces longer, albeit I don't know off hand the yearly production numbers. I would say the problem pool would span more cars, but maybe not more problems...

you have still yet to prove the 2002 is more reliable for any reason.

Look guy, you are just not picking up.

To compare the reliability you have to look at intervals meaning what issues are happening with 2000, 2001 and 2002, when they respectively hit an equal mileage, hopefully at as close as possible same respective age. Here have a little table

Year Mileage age(years) problems
2000 100000 10 broken tensioners
2000 100000 9.5 broken tensioners, wheel bearings
2001 100000 9.75 ...............QUOTE]

LOL! So..... if the 4 year newer car fails the same part at only 60k, then "you" will ignore the data cause it ain't 10 years old yet?

You don't understand what opinions are do you???

Members online

No members online now.
Back