Help a new guy out! :)

Mbylincoln

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i need quick advice on a car I'm looking at. It's an 2001 Lincoln LS with 93,000 miles. The car appears to be in excellent condition, the previous owner has records of the car being serviced and includes some services to the HVAC system, coil packs, spark plugs, and I think valve cover gaskets. I'll post some pictures, he was asking 7500 but I got him down to 5,000. The price was highly over inflated to begin with and I let him know that. I need this car to be dependable for my wife to drive to work and drop my kids off at daycare. I also need something that doesn't break down every 5,000 miles. I'm going to go buy it tomorrow if it checks out. It was originally purchased in Michigan so I will be checking HEAVILY for rust. I would like to add that I am moderately mechanically inclined, I used to build natural gas compressors. Are parts crazy expensive for this car? Please let me know what you think! EDIT: CAR IS A V8
lincoln1_zpsle2bzzsd.jpg
http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag285/Hcollett25/lincoln 3_zpsokmdxjke.jpg

Welcome!
These cars drive like a dream in my opinion, but I haven't been driving mine long enough to really know the most common mechanical issues.
The price still does seem a little high; however, price scaling could be different where you're located.
Seems to be in really good shape, pretty low miles..as long as this particular car runs well and passes your rust check I'd say go for it!
Back seats are very spacious and comfortable, so that's a plus for the kids.

As for breaking down, you should have no worries. Started driving mine at 135,000 miles and it's just about at 145,000 with the only issue being 2 misfiring cylinders (easily fixed by changing out the spark plugs)

For any other info, refer to this thread :)

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...NCOLN-LS-OWNERS-GUIDE!!!!-Basic-tips-and-info

Hey guys i need quick advice on a car I'm looking at. It's an 2001 Lincoln LS with 93,000 miles. The car appears to be in excellent condition, the previous owner has records of the car being serviced and includes some services to the HVAC system, coil packs, spark plugs, and I think valve cover gaskets. I'll post some pictures, he was asking 7500 but I got him down to 5,000. The price was highly over inflated to begin with and I let him know that. I need this car to be dependable for my wife to drive to work and drop my kids off at daycare. I also need something that doesn't break down every 5,000 miles. I'm going to go buy it tomorrow if it checks out. It was originally purchased in Michigan so I will be checking HEAVILY for rust. I would like to add that I am moderately mechanically inclined, I used to build natural gas compressors. Are parts crazy expensive for this car? Please let me know what you think! EDIT: CAR IS A V8

honestly, with the age and miles, don't expect this to be a repair free car... a lot of the fixes are not cheap, and its actually getting to the point where instead of worrying about how much the parts are gonna cost, its more about are the parts even going to be available...

it really could be a great car, or it could be a very expensive item to try to maintain... (then again, depending on what was done, the HVAC, coils, plugs, and VCGs could be a huge chunk of them)

As for breaking down, you should have no worries. Started driving mine at 135,000 miles and it's just about at 145,000 with the only issue being 2 misfiring cylinders (easily fixed by changing out the spark plugs)

two thoughts on this...

first, having put under 10K miles on a car really doesn't give you much insight into how reliable a car will be. unless a bunch of certain things have been recently done, you both could be due for some major maintenance at anytime, some of which would definitely be considered breaking down and could leave you stranded waiting for a flat bed.

second, I sincerely hope your misfire problem was not solved by only replacing a pair of spark plugs... (but then, sooner or later, there is a first time and some guy get to be it)

1loudLS, I have AAA for a reason. What I don't want is a money pit. I'm okay with putting money into it. I'm not okay with a 100k engine needing a rebuild, or an auto trans rebuild. How do you think the price is? what do I need to look for on the car before buying?

In all honesty for what you need this car for, this isn't the car for you.

I bought a one owner 03 v8 2 years ago in excellent condition with 60k miles for $5500. Can't imagine paying $5k for a first gen anymore.

In all honesty I'm going to have to disagree with you, I want a nice car for my wife and kids to drive in that's safe. Anywho, I already made the offer, how am I going to haggle him down even more, he overpaid for the car and bought it for 6,000.

Then please don't complain if you have to replace the timing chain and tensioners/engine, hydraulic cooling fan, coils, and all of the cooling system shortly after.

two thoughts on this...

first, having put under 10K miles on a car really doesn't give you much insight into how reliable a car will be. unless a bunch of certain things have been recently done, you both could be due for some major maintenance at anytime, some of which would definitely be considered breaking down and could leave you stranded waiting for a flat bed.

second, I sincerely hope your misfire problem was not solved by only replacing a pair of spark plugs... (but then, sooner or later, there is a first time and some guy get to be it)

Yeah that was thought when writing my reply as well. Also, it was misfiring in cylinders 2 & 8. I replaced all 8, and was ready to buy ignition coils as well if the problem still occurred.
Sure enough, the plugs alone fixed it!

To be completely honest with you, I know you probably think it's cool that you can buy a 2001 luxury car for only $5,000, but to expect it to be reliable and dependable is a stretch, just think about it, a car that was originally worth $40,000+is now worth $5,000 is it going to be dependable and cheap to fix? I like to think of a video I saw of a guy that bought a 98 BMW 7 series, yeah it was awesome he got a still impressive car for a fraction of it's original value, but in the years to follow he ended up dumping $20,000+ into the car in repairs. Take it from the guys who know what they're talking about, I don't own an LS, but I own a luxury car. I like to say if you can't afford to buy the car new, or relatively new, then it's going to be hard for you to afford the long term upkeep of the car. That said, the things you described the car needing to be and have fits tons of cars, not just 10+ year old luxury cars. There are plenty of Chevys, Fords, Buicks, Dodges, Chryslers, Hondas, and Toyotas just to name a few that fit what you're looking for. I'm sorry if you don't like what I have to say, but I just don't see a 14 year old luxury car with almost 100,000 miles being a good family car.

The LS is a nice car but I wouldn't say they are "reliable" and "dependable" and good luck to your wife and kids if it's for them.
I bought my 02 LS really cheap because the previous owner got tired of having it fixed (and it's not cheap) Replaced all COPs, plugs, clockspring, radio and some parts in suspension and interior (broken switches,window regulator,panels) myself. Made a profit selling it back when the price of gas went down.
All I could say is it's way overpriced for a 1st gen even if the PO has made tons of fixes. Potential issues are your cooling system, the fix is "replace ALL",
COPs the fix is "replace ALL", suspension bushings "replace control ARM" (aftermarket bushing from Jaguar is pricey and the ebay part is of unknown quality) the transmission is not that reliable (you could get lucky), hydraulic fan is dealer item, tensioner could fail, etc... Even if you could fix it yourself the parts are very scarce and pricey, worst is most shops don't even know how to fix (or simply bleed the cooling system) this car. When I found a Jeep for my winter car, it was an easy decision for me which car to get rid of my garage (kept my 98 Continental)

plan on replacing most of the suspension bits once you get it home. if you can, prior
to purchase, get under the car somehow and check all the joint boots, tie rod ends,
toe links, etc.. guarantee they are all shredded.

i've put 4k or so miles on my 1st gen since i bought it, and you can see what i had to
do just days after i bought it.

dont let that scare you though... love this car, and i planned ahead to do some r&r to
it right away.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...732-new-owner-2000-ls&highlight=elephantrider

I have worked in the automotive industry over 30-years (not that it is worth anything)...an excellent place to research used car prices is Edmunds.com. You can plug in all the variables including location and get a very good idea of what a used car is going for. Although I don't have all the specifics on your car (color, zip code, options and condition) these figures won't be far off: Wholesale value (if traded in)- $2800; Private party sale (your deal) = $3500; dealer retail (if a dealer were selling it)-$4600. Point of information.... these values include a $1200 increase in value due to the low mileage.... so with average miles the wholesale value is $1600. Before buying, I encourage you to read as much here as possible regarding the issues you can expect with this car. This car is rated as one of the most unreliable cars built in the last 15 years. They look great and handle nice when they run...but the guts are rotten. There are a few owners on this site who have experienced minimal problems. But there is a reason why +99% of these vehicles have been scrapped.....they are money pits. Then again you might be one of the lucky few. The biggest factor in your decision is the post where you mentioned your wife and children. Unless your wife doesn't mind being stranded by the side of the road....you might want to look for something else. Check my posts under "Nice while it lasted" and "What have you done lately" for a brief look at my experience. My wife refused to ride in it and I didn't want to be left by the side of the road with my four small grandchildren. I respect the guys who post here for their knowledge but I would have had to sink another $1200-$1500 to get mine running (possibly) and trade it in for around $2k. I'm too ethical to sell it to another human being. If your budget is $5k...you should be able to find something more reliable. If you go ahead with the purchase, I certainly wish you many trouble-free miles....but at 90,000 miles, the worst is yet to come. There is a reason why the seller wants to unload it.

I have worked in the automotive industry over 30-years (not that it is worth anything)...an excellent place to research used car prices is Edmunds.com. You can plug in all the variables including location and get a very good idea of what a used car is going for. Although I don't have all the specifics on your car (color, zip code, options and condition) these figures won't be far off: Wholesale value (if traded in)- $2800; Private party sale (your deal) = $3500; dealer retail (if a dealer were selling it)-$4600. Point of information.... these values include a $1200 increase in value due to the low mileage.... so with average miles the wholesale value is $1600. Before buying, I encourage you to read as much here as possible regarding the issues you can expect with this car. This car is rated as one of the most unreliable cars built in the last 15 years. They look great and handle nice when they run...but the guts are rotten. There are a few owners on this site who have experienced minimal problems. But there is a reason why +99% of these vehicles have been scrapped.....they are money pits. Then again you might be one of the lucky few. The biggest factor in your decision is the post where you mentioned your wife and children. Unless your wife doesn't mind being stranded by the side of the road....you might want to look for something else. Check my posts under "Nice while it lasted" and "What have you done lately" for a brief look at my experience. My wife refused to ride in it and I didn't want to be left by the side of the road with my four small grandchildren. I respect the guys who post here for their knowledge but I would have had to sink another $1200-$1500 to get mine running (possibly) and trade it in for around $2k. I'm too ethical to sell it to another human being. If your budget is $5k...you should be able to find something more reliable. If you go ahead with the purchase, I certainly wish you many trouble-free miles....but at 90,000 miles, the worst is yet to come. There is a reason why the seller wants to unload it.
Great points! Especially the last one, that's something more people need to understand, if a car was truly as great as a seller says it is, then they'd have no reason to sell it, sellers will also tell you anything you want to hear if they think you're interested.

Great points! Especially the last one, that's something more people need to understand, if a car was truly as great as a seller says it is, then they'd have no reason to sell it, sellers will also tell you anything you want to hear if they think you're interested.

Sometimes one just gets tired of the car. I've had an LS for 15 years (and a silver car since 1991) and was ready for something else. As my wife still has hers; and will until I can no longer maintain it; I can get an LS fix should I need one. Frankly, with my 535i I get my driving fix and will drive the LS only when it needs it.

Sometimes one just gets tired of the car. I've had an LS for 15 years (and a silver car since 1991) and was ready for something else. As my wife still has hers; and will until I can no longer maintain it; I can get an LS fix should I need one. Frankly, with my 535i I get my driving fix and will drive the LS only when it needs it.
That is also true, I myself no longer use my CTS as my daily driver or main car. It's become more of my Sunday toy, I'll take it out whenever I'm off, and sometimes venture into PA and push it through the hills on the back roads any time I need my fix. In the winter I'll sometimes go over a week without driving it due to weather, being a RWD performance car on performance tires it's absolutely terrible in snow and ice. Honestly the only reason it's still in my driveway is I still love it so much, otherwise I could get rid of it. Still though, that has to be considered, especially with a car like the LS. It's very likely someone could buy it, and it could become too much of an investment then they were thinking, and have to sell it. Saying "it's been a great car, never had any issues or problems" sounds better to a perspective buyer then "I can't afford the car anymore, it's repair bills are overwhelming" But like you said that's not the case with everyone, I just think that should be in consideration.

Hoo boy, half a dozen fans of the car tell him to walk away, buys the car anyway.

If you haven't bought the car, walk away. Nice looking does not mean reliable. I'm no fan of the LS, after having owned one, but even though I don't like them they are a sharp looking car. But, in order to be reliable they need a new and different drivetrain. And wait till you take it to a Lincoln dealer for service. Very few of them can even find parts for the car in their system. If you have bought the car, you can look forward to changing all 8 coils otherwise known as COPs (and don't dare call them anything else here), plugs, timing chain tensioners, every last piece of plastic on the cooling system (although on a Gen 1 you have the option of aluminum Jaguar parts), wheel hubs all round, rear links, transmission solenoid, shocks (and make sure you call them either coilover shock absorbers or Eibachs at all times), and periodically the seats will stop heating. Keep extra COPs on hand too, because every single repair on the car requires that the COPs be changed. Tire goes flat? Step one is change COPs. Everything breaks them, they don't set codes and shortly after they fry they can kill the catalytic converter AND the PCM for some reason. These are just the common problems and you WILL experience them all.

Still, it is a pretty car.

I have 270K (miles) on my 2000 now, it's been a fun ride and I have done a fair share of complex repairs to it. High alimony causes me to need to keep this thing going until another president is sworn in, should the current one last until his scheduled end of term. So far, so good (with the car), mine has always eaten tires for some reason, and I have been through plenty of sets. Multiple front hub (bearing) assemblies replaced, lower front ball joints, at least 3 times per side, have replaced the clutch twice, transmission once, and rear subframe twice, due to failed driver's side front bushing. A/C has been pure greatness, replaced the radiator at the 10 year mark (erroneously, it was the hydraulic pump solenoid that made me think the radiator could not reject heat to the atmosphere) just changed the factory exhaust original system last summer at 250K miles, and had to have the rear end bearings changed due to pinion shaft bearing failure. Lots of brake jobs as well, and each caliper has been changed at least once. Ditto on the front sway bar, had to change it when I got the car at 85K. The ride is still great, the interior is still quiet, stereo still rocks (factory sub system with MR-Howie mod) and the body is decent, but my rockers are rotting away underneath, and will need to be fixed prior to summer inspection. My car has been in NH for all years since 2007, but had 5 ! owners and spent some time in FLA and MA. Good luck. I'd be more worried about the timing chain tensioners as that is a bad ass repair as corrective maintenance and not that much fun as preventive (before it fails and jumps timing).

I have a 2000 V8 purchased on 09/29/2014 for $3200.00 and only had just under 69K miles. Within one month I had to do the front end suspension (Control arms, knuckles, tie rod ends, sway bar links and coil over shocks. Rotors and pads as well) then cooling system (I was a lucky one, so far. I only had to do the degas bottle, thermostat and used metal jag housing and the hydraulic fan actuator. I know the rest of the cooling parts won't be far off.), in another month I had to replace COPs and plugs. I will be doing the rear suspension soon as well. So far I have spent almost $2000 on repairs in the 5 months I have owned the car. Had I let the dealership do the repairs it would have been closer to $5000. It is a tremendously fun car to drive. I had zero knowledge of them when I bought it. I bought it because a friend of mine had one when they first came out. It was trimmed out exactly the same. I test drove it for sh!ts and giggles. Sold me on nostalgia really. Had I taken the time to research before I took the plunge, I sadly would not have probably bought the car. But they do have another one sitting on the lot where I bought Geoffrey. Non sport '01 with IIRC 127K miles. for the same price I got mine. I drive by it everyday on the way to work. Knowing everything I know, I still feel drawn to it. LOL Its a sickness really.

In other news......my McLaren grille will be delivered today. :L

Owned my 01V6 since new, 14 years now. Love the car, it's my daily driver. That being said, unless you love to work on cars, and have deep pockets, I would avoid this car completely. You will spend money and your time working on this car. Forget about having someone else do the work. you can't afford it. You will need all the mechanics tools you can find plus a scanner for checking on codes, repair manual, this forum for help. You will need detective skills to figure out what's wrong with the car from the codes. You will spend hours finding cheap parts, or parts from other ford vehicles to replace broken parts. You will also need to replace all the hoses and plastic connectors on the engine. The plastics fall apart after so many years ssof engine heat. The coolant and heat system will need much replacement too. Bring cash, knowledge and plenty of time to fix it. She's a great car, but basically a Jaguar.

My wife's 2004 LS is approaching 53,000 miles, and I don't trust the car anymore. My 2003 TBird doesn't have 23,000 miles, and I don't trust that car anymore either. (TBird's going back to the dealer this week for a battery drain issue that, after paying almost $800 last fall, was not corrected.)

When they run great, they really run great.

When things screw up, they really screw up.

I'd stay away from any used LS, TBird, or Jag S.

Wow - this sure is an interesting read. I knew that the LS overall has been pretty unreliable in a lot of ways for a lot of owners, but wow!

I bought my 2000 LS new - ordered it from the dealer - so it was what I wanted. I have the V6 Sport, Automatic tranny. I have not driven it through any of the winters here in NW PA or it would now be a rust bucket, guaranteed.

I have babied the car since day one and thankfully that and parking it in the winter have paid off. For the most part - my LS had been issue-free. I have replaced the front sway bar, lower ball joints (twice now), rear lateral links, changed over to slotted rotors with new pads, starter relay ($15), front wheel hubs, the "original" issue with the rear windows failing - replaced both of those early on, COP's shorting, catalytic converter went and was replaced under warranty, and crank position sensor replacement.

Looking back over 15 years - that's not too bad - in my opinion.

The original battery was over 11 years old when I replaced it and I still think I could have gone another year or 2. The original A/C coolant and system has never been serviced and runs as well as day one. It still drives/rides and runs as good as day one. It still looks really good despite lots of battle scars from this and that. I've had the tranny flushed every 30K and used Mobil 1 since the 2nd oil change and changed every 5K.

Having said all of that - I'm not sure I would buy one used - for other folks considering buying one. I certainly agree with really checking over things and seeing if they'd have a service record of things that have been replaced.

My latest issue to develop has been a burnt oil smell - which I'm working on solving. Other than that - I'd have no problem driving my LS cross-country in a heartbeat.

I have owned my LS for about I think 6 or 7 years

here is a list of what has been replaced on it since 43,000 miles to 145,000 (i may forget things)

all coils a couple twice, plugs
vcg's needs it again
cats
lower control arms
front shocks, backs could use it too
various cooling bits, shoulda done em all but that budget
steering rack due to leak couple years ago, now a line started to seep
needs a clock spring
radio, the stock one ate my cds then stopped working
battery and alt
wheel bearings
fuel pump(s)
MAF and wiring
Taillight housings due to leaking
rear tierods
all sway bar links
oh and the fun one the Trans

these are things that just wore out or broke though driving.

Other things I have replaced due to want, like wheels and intake and such.

it is not at all a cheap cr to own, when its running well it is a nice driver.

If you want an "inexpensive" luxury driver look at the town car. it is much more simplistic and shares tons of parts with the crown vic meaning they are much less pricey and all over the place. They ride like a cloud and should prove more reliable with the 4.6 power plant that has proven for years that it's a decent motor. When maintained the crown vic lasts a very very long time. Plus they are roomy as hell.

Members online

Back