Hello New Here!!

TrueBlue02LS

LVC Member
Reaction score
02 LS 3.9, can't tell if it's the base or LSE.

Currently experiencing overheating issues as most of us experienced, I've replaced thermostat ( advanced auto ) and still nothing. Do to some researching on here I discovered the degas bottle(s) sucks on these cars. I pulled both off and to my surprise both tanks are "ok". NO steam coming from the back houses at all but one of the two coming from the overflow tank is squirting antifreeze everywhere. Reading on here everyone suggests that one plastic part goes then assume the rest would follow. I am thinking about buying this http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...arts+NCE2247ADKIT+Aluminum+T-Stat+Housing+Kit ( Jaguar S-Type Coolant tree ). My question is there any benefits to this one vs oem? Also after repairs are done how much coolant to replace drained coolant?

I have one on mine, and I highly recommend it. The jagstat is a pretty well recommended part by anyone who has bought one. Also, bear in mind that unless you are patient (and half drunk), getting tthe old one off, and the new one on, is a PITA without removing the intake (which I didn't do.)

Welcome to LvC! And did your research! Good job! Also I'll second the jag aluminum parts, have not personally done this as I have a V6 but I know a buddy who did his and no issues whatsoever!

welcome to LVC and yes with this car once the cooling parts starts going it is best to replace all of it and you will be good for another 100k Miles

Yep, good move. The plastic gets brittle and the 10mm Allen drive in the cap will crack in time. Agreed that it has limited access to the hold down bolts. I had to grind a socket paper thin to finish tightening the housing.

also to add would low Power steering fluid flaw the radiator fan?

The hydraulic fan has a separate pump and reservoir than the power steering. Both take Mercon ATF, not power steering fluid. Which reservoir is low?

I discovered the degas bottle(s) sucks on these cars. I pulled both off and to my surprise both tanks are "ok".

well theres only one degas bottle in the car, its up next to the windshield on the drivers side. what was the second bottle you removed?

coolant overflow bottle = degas bottle

what ever you call it, there is only one coolant bottle. you said both were fine. I'm just curious what other bottle you removed and inspected . probably more important, why this other bottle had coolant in it too.

coolant overflow bottle = degas bottle

what ever you call it, there is only one coolant bottle. you said both were fine. I'm just curious what other bottle you removed and inspected . probably more important, why this other bottle had coolant in it too.

I removed both the overflow and the actual coolant tank. That's not called " degas bottle" either? Sheesh my terms and brain hurts lol.

I removed both the overflow and the actual coolant tank. That's not called " degas bottle" either? Sheesh my terms and brain hurts lol.

There is only one Tank! If you have more than one, then that is something aftermarket that someone added and will only cause trouble.
Please take some pictures.

The one tank that you are suppose to have is the "degas bottle." It's located at the base of the windshield on the driver's side. It has the fill cap that has a pressure relief valve on it. It has an air space at the top of the bottle that serves as the "overflow." It develops tiny hairline cracks that you may not think are a problem. However, they are.

I removed both the overflow and the actual coolant tank.
No you didn't, you may have removed the degas bottle/coolant tank, but you apparently removed something else. we"re just trying to figure out what you actually did in the car

That's not called " degas bottle" either? Sheesh my terms and brain hurts lol.

this is very simple, there is a tank right up next to the base of the windshield on the drivers side, who cares what its called, but this one tank is the only take that should be holding coolant

maybe this will help
8txne3zncopy.jpg

this item circled is the only coolant tank you should have under you hood (yes this is a 2nd gen , but your should be very similar)

10_4_2011_3_22_12_am.gif

this is your cooling system, the degas bottle is #12, what other item are you talking about?

10_4_2011_3_22_12_am.gif

... I am thinking about buying this http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...arts+NCE2247ADKIT+Aluminum+T-Stat+Housing+Kit ( Jaguar S-Type Coolant tree )...

Nice upgrade. tried-and-true tested, proven to be worthy. Many of us GEN1 owners have.

You'll need to use the stock OEM LS thermostat in the Jag Tstat housing w/ fresh o-ring.
Two back bolts would need to be cut down to ease installation.

See my write-up here:
Re&Re - Jag Aluminum Upgraded Thermostat housing - GEN 1 V8

---- EDIT:

You have air in the system due to a leak somewhere, this is what's causing your overheating.
It should also start to cause no interior heat issues when not enough coolant is able to make it through the heater core.

more: GEN I - Understanding Climate Control System - No Heat Information

There is only one Tank! If you have more than one, then that is something aftermarket that someone added and will only cause trouble.
Please take some pictures.

The Degas that I am talking about is the one you've mentioned at the base of the Windshield and The other one is the overflow correct? Bottom passenger side of car.

t8m07d.jpg

and this other one ( I thought both was called degas bottles sorry )

2gxr4vl.jpg

The damage I found so far

1zx6t1g.jpg

Sorry for the dark picture really couldn't hold off until Tomorrow :D

Oh and sorry for all the dirty parts too, I will have everything cleaned up after I replace the broken parts and bleed this sucker.

... The other one is the overflow correct? Bottom passenger side of car.

... and this other one ( I thought both was called degas bottles sorry )

2gxr4vl.jpg

Hell no, don't ever put anything in there other than ATF, don't add coolant or water there!
It's the Hydraulic Cooling Fan Pump Fluid which runs your fan. As a matter of a fact,
you should be thinking about refreshing that fluid often to preserve your fan pump.

See here: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...-today&p=2037306213&viewfull=1#post2037306213

----EDIT: use Motorcraft MERCON V ATF only! same for Power Steering.

Hell no, don't ever put anything in there other than ATF, don't add coolant or water there!
It's the Hydraulic Cooling Fan Pump Fluid which runs your fan. As a matter of a fact,
you should be thinking about refreshing that fluid often to preserve your fan pump.

See here: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...-today&p=2037306213&viewfull=1#post2037306213

----EDIT: use Motorcraft MERCON V ATF only! same for Power Steering.

Aw man I am such a bleeping moron!!!! I am so use to cars having an overflow tank... I might have to replace this pump now. :mad:

I did add a little coolant to this tank...

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...User!)&p=2037307847&viewfull=1#post2037307847

"Hydraulic Cooling Fan Fluid reservoir"
~ if you ever notice this oil go foamy or pinkish in color, replace it quickly with fresh MERCON and try and save the pump.

attachment.jpg

Also: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?90347-MERCON-V-vs-ATF

Thanks man, It's just getting a little foamy. I will replace asap. Man I feel super dumb.
When the guy above kept asking which tank I kind of figured something was wrong.

Members online

No members online now.
Back