Hello all just mainly a post on my car situation. Er, Lincoln situation

heyjewel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I hope all is well with everyone.

So today I decided to run a couple of errands in my 2001 LS, 5speed. Oh man it's nice to row your own! I was thinking how nice the car still runs after 21 years. I stopped at my first stop and heard a funny noise when I shut the door. You can probably guess what that was. Yep, drivers door window. Fell into the door at next stop. So I got some work to do. It also has a check engine light but that is an evap system leak and I can still get a smog cert so no worries. Also after 21 years the clearcoat is flaking off in a few places and there are a couple of trim issues I need to fix.

I now have 5 Lincolns, but only 3 run. I think I'll take the window hardware from my ugliest donor LS, a 2001 grey stripper. My 2001 red LS, 5 speed, is the runner. 2000 beautiful silver LS which turns heads but sadly both the engine and tranny have issues. I'm thinking of swapping the engine/tranny from the ugly duckling to the silver bullet. Dunno if its worth the time.

So that's 3 Lincolns. I also have a 2007 Navigator L, bought well used, for #4. And my latest one is also well used at 160,000+ miles. It looks brand new and was well maintained. It's my wife's mkZ hybrid. She loves the car but has decided after 7 years of ownership she now needs an SUV or a truck for the lifestyle she's livin now with fowl and food growin. She really liked and bought a new Maverick Hybrid. Her 2nd Ford hybrid in a row. 40mpg is even huger with gas at $4.59 for reg. So I figured why let a known good hybrid car go. Plus I dont have to feel so poor when I wanna take a 100 or 200 mile trip. I'll be using 1/2 the gas of either of the other two and a quiet comfy ride.

Feedback on any of these things is welcome. No feedback is cool too. I just hope all are OK.
1. First drive of my LS in few months puts me in my shop with work to do.
2. Swap drivetrain to get head-turning LS back on road? Is that worth it?
3. Is it worth it to buy my wife's car from her it being a mkZ hybrid with 160K on the clock? A new battery pack, if and when needed, is priced in the high $4k range right now.

George

So today I decided to run a couple of errands in my 2001 LS, 5speed. Oh man it's nice to row your own! I was thinking how nice the car still runs after 21 years. I stopped at my first stop and heard a funny noise when I shut the door. You can probably guess what that was. Yep, drivers door window. Fell into the door at next stop. So I got some work to do. It also has a check engine light but that is an evap system leak and I can still get a smog cert so no worries. Also after 21 years the clearcoat is flaking off in a few places and there are a couple of trim issues I need to fix.

I now have 5 Lincolns, but only 3 run. I think I'll take the window hardware from my ugliest donor LS, a 2001 grey stripper. My 2001 red LS, 5 speed, is the runner. 2000 beautiful silver LS which turns heads but sadly both the engine and tranny have issues. I'm thinking of swapping the engine/tranny from the ugly duckling to the silver bullet. Dunno if its worth the time.

So that's 3 Lincolns. I also have a 2007 Navigator L, bought well used, for #4. And my latest one is also well used at 160,000+ miles. It looks brand new and was well maintained. It's my wife's mkZ hybrid. She loves the car but has decided after 7 years of ownership she now needs an SUV or a truck for the lifestyle she's livin now with fowl and food growin. She really liked and bought a new Maverick Hybrid. Her 2nd Ford hybrid in a row. 40mpg is even huger with gas at $4.59 for reg. So I figured why let a known good hybrid car go. Plus I dont have to feel so poor when I wanna take a 100 or 200 mile trip. I'll be using 1/2 the gas of either of the other two and a quiet comfy ride.

Feedback on any of these things is welcome. No feedback is cool too. I just hope all are OK.
3. Is it worth it to buy my wife's car from her it being a mkZ hybrid with 160K on the clock? A new battery pack, if and when needed, is priced in the high $4k range right now.

George
Lol, just this past Friday my driver's window also fell into the door.. have to keep it taped up until my new regulator comes Tuesday. Can you let me know how difficult it is changing it?

Lol, just this past Friday my driver's window also fell into the door.. have to keep it taped up until my new regulator comes Tuesday. Can you let me know how difficult it is changing it?
:) It's not too bad. There might be a procedure on this site that will show you how.

Nice to see you back, George!
Thanks for checking in. What's with the Getrag car problems. Is it still on the road? I mean when winter is over. I know yours is a summer car. Mine is a winter car cause the A/C only works when it wants to, not when I want it too. Later.

Hi George, no issues with mine, it comes in handy when the subie is in sick bay. That said, I only added about 500-600 miles to it this year, so it is at around 323,6xx now. I did have a bad coil on the right side bank this year so I got a 6 pack of cheap coils, around $10 each, installed, did the plugs, and found a bad crack in the PCV hose adapter from the back of the block to the throttle body and replaced it with straight up heater hose since the adapter from 5/16" to 5/8" or 3/4" that connects that plastic line from the PCV to the throttle body, car runs the best it has in a few years! That was it for problems this year. It is starting to make me question keeping it registered and insured year round, but replacement cars are not really cheap. I do have a 2003 Subaru Forester that I keep at my girlfriend's house 95 miles away in case her car breaks down, as she lives in the country and I do all the work for her cars as well as my own. I have all 4 wheels on the LS on snow tires so it is able to be used year round. I keep it off the road when it's 90 + degrees so I don't lose my hydraulic cooling system solenoid and keep my subaru out of sick (or upgrade) bay in the winter because the LS is shaky in the snow, at best. We'll see how much more service I can get out of it going forward. I'll probably look for a subaru with a blown engine or head gaskets to replace the LS when I need to.

After reading this weeks threads, I think I'll go out and kiss our LS and hope my lips don't get stuck to it (it's cold out there). Yes, the clutch still slips if I punch it too hard, the a/c does not work and the left valve cover leaks, but Black Beauty hasn't left me stranded any where but home (dead battery). After hearing the drivers window go tink - tink - tink for years, it was the passenger window that disapeared with a thud. The tricky part of replacing a window regulator is not damaging the door panel. Get a box about door sill height to support the panel while you unplug the connectors. On gen 1 cars, carefully pry off the door handle bezel from the rear and slid it off over the handle. Remove the now exposed screw. Pry up the screw cover in the bottom of the door pull, there are 2 more screws under it. Remove the screw on the back of the door and the 3 on the bottom of the panel and the panel will come out much the same as any other door panel ( Lisle used to make great tool for removing the nylon retainers ). Set panel on aforementioned box and unplug connectors and then set box and panel aside. From this point removing the regulator is pretty straight forward, nothing is hidden. I recommend wearing tight long sleeves and having a couple of band aids handy because there a lot of sharp edges in there.

Use a new regulator. They are a weak part and a common failure. It's a very easy repair but no point in doing it over. The new regulators are cheap and everywhere because this is such a common repair.

New regulators are garbage, Save you original one, they can be fixed. When mine went I bought 2 new ones, both failed within a few days and i ended up having a place fix my original one, still working great a year later.

New regulators are garbage, Save you original one, they can be fixed. When mine went I bought 2 new ones, both failed within a few days and i ended up having a place fix my original one, still working great a year later.
Mine wasn't able to be fixed sadly... the plastic broke then the wire snapped. So far my new one has been good, I bought it from carparts.com

Mine wasn't able to be fixed sadly... the plastic broke then the wire snapped. So far my new one has been good, I bought it from carparts.com
You can buy the plastic clips and wire by themselves, they can be rebuilt. Some tire\window tint shops in Vegas rebuild them.

Mine came from O'Reillys, first lasted 3 days, second one didn't last 3 inches, lol! They only had 2 so then i somehow discovered the place that fixed my old one, luckily i had saved it for a while. Good to hear you've had better luck

Good luck messing with the clips. Try it and see. The cost of a new regulator is very low. It takes maybe 30 minutes to change. Even if it breaks again the repair is very simple. I have replaced at least 5 Lincoln LS window regulators ALL with aftermarket regulators with ZERO problems.

Now if you are worried make sure and get a Motorcraft one as even those are not too expensive but are more expensive than aftermarket.

It's just simpler and better to replace with new.

Good luck messing with the clips. Try it and see. The cost of a new regulator is very low. It takes maybe 30 minutes to change. Even if it breaks again the repair is very simple. I have replaced at least 5 Lincoln LS window regulators ALL with aftermarket regulators with ZERO problems.

Now if you are worried make sure and get a Motorcraft one as even those are not too expensive but are more expensive than aftermarket.

It's just simpler and better to replace with new.
Tried, twice, lol

George
Honestly a swap might just be the right thing to do! and it could end up saving you some cash!

Honestly a swap might just be the right thing to do! and it could end up saving you some cash!
Maybe so. I'm not a great mechanic but I did learn a lot pulling and rebuilding the engine in Red. Working on an engine swap would keep me busy. And maybe give me a salable silver 2000. But how much could I even get for that?

Maybe so. I'm not a great mechanic but I did learn a lot pulling and rebuilding the engine in Red. Working on an engine swap would keep me busy. And maybe give me a salable silver 2000. But how much could I even get for that?
Depends on the condition on the vehicle. I have no idea how rare parts are for the LS, you could get a couple thousand possibly if someone has got a good motor but a wrecked vehicle i am not a professional but parts could be worth something because it was practically a jaguar rebadged.

Depends on the condition on the vehicle. I have no idea how rare parts are for the LS, you could get a couple thousand possibly if someone has got a good motor but a wrecked vehicle i am not a professional but parts could be worth something because it was practically a jaguar rebadged.
Well it is a beautiful vehicle in and out. I would hate to send it to the boneyard. LS parts are going the way of the dinosaur. Some are very hard to get. Some near impossible.

Well it is a beautiful vehicle in and out. I would hate to send it to the boneyard. LS parts are going the way of the dinosaur. Some are very hard to get. Some near impossible.
WOW! I really would not like to see it go to the yard either, You could make an EBay Motors Auction, or if you've got facebook you can see if anyone would be interested in buying it

WOW! I really would not like to see it go to the yard either, You could make an EBay Motors Auction, or if you've got facebook you can see if anyone would be interested in buying it
Yeah and I need to do something. It's looking like a used car lot around here.

Lucky to get $250.

Yea knowing what i know now I'd never pay more than 500 for one of these cars if it's running, lol. I bought one for 1000 and put about 4k into it and now the crank bearing went out so I'm looking at another 3-4k or junk it, fun times!

Members online

No members online now.
Back