Heated and Cooled Seats question

LLADNAR

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok so i DID use the search function, and i didn't see anyone pose this particular question. Ok so after i get done with this deployment to Kuwait that i am currently on one of the first things on my list when i get home is to trade in my SVT Contour for an 06 LS. Well from what i have seen is 06 is kind of a special year. From what i have seen it is the only year after 03 that a V8 doesn't guarantee heated and cooled seats. So here is my question. Has anyone tried to installed cooled seats into an 06 that didn't come with them from the factory? I know that Ford has in the past had a habbit of prewiring cars for options they didn't have. I completely optioned out a Ford Probe i had that was a striped model back in the day. But that was then and this is closer to now. Also I am a certified Ford tech that has access to all of the service publications at hand. Also my wife manages a salvage yard that has several LS's. Just wondering if it had been done before. I guess maybe i should just hope to find the right one for the right price with the right options.

Oh and also. I have been looking for a while now. Does the single cd and tape deck pretty much guarantee no heated and cooled seats. From what i have seen that seems to be the case. Some of the cars online dont get close enough to the center stack to actually confirm it. So if that is pretty much a given then it is easier to identify them

I don't know the answer to your question. I haven't heard of 06s not coming with heated/cooled seats but you could be right. There are enough LSs out there though I would wait until you find one with the options you want.

At the very least, you would have to change out the DATC as well as the seats. You'd be better off to shop for an 06 that has what you want than to get a stripped down one and try to add features to it.

I don't know the answer to your question. I haven't heard of 06s not coming with heated/cooled seats but you could be right. There are enough LSs out there though I would wait until you find one with the options you want.

I saw some [06s without heated/cooled seats].

Well searching online I found a picture that states it is of the interior of a 2006 LS. It looks like it has the most basic audio deck options and still has heated/cooled seats.

4409063606_2707cd58d8_z.jpg

Just look for the buttons on the console. In this picture they're paired slightly above and on either sides of the gear selector. The blue and red button pairs, one set for each seat.

REnZb.jpg

Look at that glorious tape deck in all of its HD glory.

Well searching online I found a picture that states it is of the interior of a 2006 LS. It looks like it has the most basic audio deck options and still has heated/cooled seats.
Just look for the buttons on the console. In this picture they're paired slightly above and on either sides of the gear selector. The blue and red button pairs, one set for each seat.
Look at that glorious tape deck in all of its HD glory.

In addition to the optional heated/cooled seats, it has the optional memory pedals.

Hey, don't diss the tape deck! :p

Since Ford for some reason decided not to be up to date in their audio hardware and include a freaking INPUT JACK for Ipods/MP3 players, I use the tape deck to listen to my MP3's. :)

Hey, don't diss the tape deck! :p

Since Ford for some reason decided not to be up to date in their audio hardware and include a freaking INPUT JACK for Ipods/MP3 players, I use the tape deck to listen to my MP3's. :)

LOL I actually want one with a tape deck for that exact reason. I'm too cheap to have an i-pod interface installed :D

LOL I actually want one with a tape deck for that exact reason. I'm too cheap to have an i-pod interface installed :D

Seems a bit counter-intuitive to look for a car with a tape deck sans heated seats and then installing heated seats as opposed to finding one without a tape deck and with heated seats and then installing an aux jack or head unit. :shifty:

Seems a bit counter-intuitive to look for a car with a tape deck sans heated seats and then installing heated seats as opposed to finding one without a tape deck and with heated seats and then installing an aux jack or head unit. :shifty:

Right but lets say i find one with cooled seats,, odds are it will have a 6 disc in dash. My wife has one of these in her ride and it is nothing but trouble. It is always jamming and giving cd error BS. And we are on our 3rd one. So if i get one with a 6 disc I'm gonna trade it for one with a tape deck anyways. Since my wife runs a salvage yard and the 6 discs are worth more she says i can trade straight up. So bonus. And for the trouble that it will likely cause i think i will just try and find one with the options i want like cooled seats

Right but lets say i find one with cooled seats,, odds are it will have a 6 disc in dash. My wife has one of these in her ride and it is nothing but trouble. It is always jamming and giving cd error BS. And we are on our 3rd one. So if i get one with a 6 disc I'm gonna trade it for one with a tape deck anyways. Since my wife runs a salvage yard and the 6 discs are worth more she says i can trade straight up. So bonus. And for the trouble that it will likely cause i think i will just try and find one with the options i want like cooled seats

You know, aftermarket headunits are pretty easy to add, and they can look pretty good if you go with a double-din one. (Ignore Crutchfield, they will fit.)

You know, aftermarket headunits are pretty easy to add, and they can look pretty good if you go with a double-din one. (Ignore Crutchfield, they will fit.)

Good point. There are plenty of choices for aftermarket double dins.

I don't think i could possibly describe my dislike of aftermarket radios in LS's over a message forum like this. No offense to anyone that has them but i personally think they look like crap

A radio is not meant to look pretty...form over function.

But personally i think a tape deck looks like crap and is outdated. why would you want to listen to your music in analog form?

If you really cant stand aftermarket find an LS with the oem THX and installed the pie ipod/aux interface. You dont need to use the cd at all just an ipod.

I don't think i could possibly describe my dislike of aftermarket radios in LS's over a message forum like this. No offense to anyone that has them but i personally think they look like crap

To each their own, though I go generally agree. Have you seen the double din touch screen type installed in the factory nav trim?

Anyway, it's really easy to swap one factory headunit for another factory headunit. Alternately, you could get even better MP3 audio quality by using a PIE or similar iPOD adapter. They plug into the back of the radio and use the factory audio inputs that the factory sat module would use. That way, you don't have the range and frequency losses that come from using an RF adapter or a cassette tape adapter.

I pretty much agree. The ones with no navigation look bland and have too many buttons, but the navigation systems look really good even thought they are dated. My biggest problem with aftermarket is they don't ever match. They usually stick out farther and have wrong color lights. I know they work a lot better but I'm sticking to my Nav/THX system.

DOnt get me wrong these boogers look very tacky and out of place in just about any car except a japanese econobox.

349550d1293802658-aftermarket-radio-install-newstereo.jpg

But check out Rodewaryer's setup:

cnv0876bq1.jpg

cnv0878nl0.jpg

why would you want to listen to your music in analog form?

Oh dear, someone else who actually believes digital is SUPERIOR to analog... I'm an audiophile. And I'm telling you RIGHT NOW a decent LP player with a diamond tipped needle will ALWAYS sound 100% superior to the highest quality CD, nay, SA-CD.

Analog will ALWAYS sound better than digital. Reason analog is on the way out is because it's WAY more expensive to use. LP's are expensive, good players are expensive and don't even ask about how much a diamond tipped needle is. Analog is direct from the source. Digital is broken down and reassembled.

But anyway, my 06 LS has heated/cooled seats, heated rear seats and a tape deck. :) So I'm living proof this option combination exists. :D

But personally i think a tape deck looks like crap and is outdated. why would you want to listen to your music in analog form?

The same reason I prefer raw RADAR and not the digitized crap we now get! I want to know where the airplane is, not where the computer says it is!

Oh dear, someone else who actually believes digital is SUPERIOR to analog... I'm an audiophile. And I'm telling you RIGHT NOW a decent LP player with a diamond tipped needle will ALWAYS sound 100% superior to the highest quality CD, nay, SA-CD.

Analog will ALWAYS sound better than digital. Reason analog is on the way out is because it's WAY more expensive to use. LP's are expensive, good players are expensive and don't even ask about how much a diamond tipped needle is. Analog is direct from the source. Digital is broken down and reassembled.

But anyway, my 06 LS has heated/cooled seats, heated rear seats and a tape deck. :) So I'm living proof this option combination exists. :D

The same reason I prefer raw RADAR and not the digitized crap we now get! I want to know where the airplane is, not where the computer says it is!

No i know that real analog is better. But sadly a cassette will degrade over time. Digital wont. Try playing that cassette from 1980 in your LS today. Bet it sounds like :q:q:q:q.

Also i dont have anything cd quality...all of my music is is 320 aac.

Basically the highest form of audio you can get besides wave which is stupidly large in file size.

Any why are we talking about needles? last time i checked you cant put turntables into a car.

When are you installing the turntable in your car?
Maybe switching to an 8-track for that true analog sound without that sinful cassette re-mastering? Dolby should be kicked out of the inventor's hall of fame!
Seriously?
For home listening, sure. I've got a nice Systemdek in my living room. But in a car? Digital is really the only decent choice. Going from CD/ipod to tape adapter to head unit is just ridiculous and far worse than keeping a solid analog connection. Better is to go digital into the head unit and use its DAC.
Analog costs a lot because of the 'audiophile' movement. You can get good sound without lots of money, but then who would sell the snake oil? Let's talk about directional cables, or low-loss fiber, or cryogenic cables!
The other flaws in your argument are humorous, but the discussion would be exhausting.

Members online

No members online now.
Back