Heat-Soaked CAI

King03LS8

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone fabricated or can we do something about our KKM CAI's getting heat-soaked? I have noticed after driving for a while the intake becomes unresponsive and can rob my engines power and can lag a bit.

Has anyone else noticed this? What can I do for a heat-shield? I am sure this has been discussed but I gotta run and wanted to ask before I left.

It would sure be nice to have some sort of ram-air induction for our LS'

I've noticed it here when it was really, really hot out over the summer. It's feels like a 4 banger after sitting in traffic. One day I'll get around to making a heat shield. I just haven't had the motivation in a long time. :(

People have posted pics of their self-made ram air intakes.

i wrapped mine in heat insulator wrap and dropped the intake tube behind my fog light. It stays cool even on a 100 degree day.

DSC00213.JPG
DSC00214.JPG

DSC00214.JPG

DSC00213.JPG

I switched from KKM to the K&N typhoon on my 03 specifically bacause of this issue. The K&N not only replaced the entire intake (the KKM is really an adapter for a conical intake and only replaces the stock airbox not the flex tubing and noise baffles) but also had a heat shield.

Here is a comparison:
KKM
123900_1e.jpg

K&N
attachment.jpg

Crap...

I might have the get the K&N now, the heat-soak is really pissing me off especially in this hot Austin weather right now.

King03LS8,

Get the K&N. It looks nice and it comes with a heat shield. I don't know how much it absorbs the heat though....

Hey, did I see you off mopac & ben white today? I was driving kinda fast and when I passed an LS w/ your color and LSE grille, I was too far past the off ramp.

Last edited:
Get the K&N. It looks nice and it comes with a heat shield. I don't know how much it absorbs the heat though....
As short as the 2nd Gen intake path is, the air's not going to pick up very much heat from the engine compartment (if it has a shield, suck as the one on the K&N kit). The K&N shield, such as it is, should help quite a bit, as it will force the intake to draw most of its air from outside the engine compartment.

There are plenty of home-made CAI shields out there, so it can't be that difficult to make one out of insulated panels.

BTW, there are two K&N kits; the one shown above is the plastic one, but there's also a polished stainless (or maybe chrome or 'loomnum) version.

King03LS8,

Hey, did I see you off mopac & ben white today? I was driving kinda fast and when I passed an LS w/ your color and LSE grille, I was too far past the off ramp.

Dude! I totally saw you fly by me and I punched it, I had to exit southwest parkway though because I was going to Target.....I saw you braking though, I should of stayed on Mopac but it was too late. Are you in the south area? If so, lets meet up...I'll lay the wood to you....haha j/k. Let me know.

BTW...which will yield better results; the 57 series K&N or the Typhoon system? Why is one better than the other?

Minimal Heat soak with this setup, I cut the hole under the stock airbox to fit 4" tubing all the way down so it gets plenty of air.

2809238_9_full.jpg

2809238_10_full.jpg

Mine sits in a sealed box - with the hood scoop feeding the air from the outside....

Thanks for the link NYC LSC....thats a good idea to fabricate my own instead of buying the K&N. I am sure the KKM will do well this upcoming winter though....

Members online

No members online now.
Back