Headers, throttle body and cams discussion

m curious about that maf sully..
if you have any before/after of the tb id love some a p&p could make a quick weekend job, and even if the butterfly is the same size, more clearance for air is more clearance for air.. about how long did it take you?

m curious about that maf sully..
if you have any before/after of the tb id love some a p&p could make a quick weekend job, and even if the butterfly is the same size, more clearance for air is more clearance for air.. about how long did it take you?

taking time and drinking beers you could easily do it in a day. I have no dyno numbers for it... I can say there was a noticeable throttle response.

Thought I had seen a hiperf one picked up somehwere on the forums.. just curious is all.. :) its just 4 screws after you pull the intake right? Do I need any special gasket sealant or anything or just the gasket itself?

the MAF i bought is for a different kind of power. The TB comes off pretty easy. 4 8mm bolts and pop the throttle cable, and bam! You should get a new tb gasket, but the old one can be reused if need be (its like 6 bucks) but you may as well get a new one. As far as the plenum (next part in line) thats where the bulk of the cleaning up is needed. You have 4 more bolts, and two coolant lines. You can drain the coolant system before or just pull those off and plug them with something a drill bit.

edit: Dont forget to unplug the sensors and hoses

Well I got my stock TB off, the plenum type deal behind it doesnt look to be too restrictive at all so Im thinking of just figuring out some kind of adapter for the Mustang twin blade to that stock front plenum. I ran out of light tonight so more to come tomorrow, also Im gonna measure the baldes and compare. Gonna have to do a TB coolant bypass as well the stang doesnt have nipples for the hoses.

from what I was reading, the gaskets between the plenum and tb are the same... should fit right on. Also I dont think the TB has the coolant lines. Im pretty sure thats on the plenum insead.

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

You forget that Im a Gen2 guy hahaha.. I got coolant lines on my throttle body and again just to put it out there, Im gonna be using the 2005 Mustang GT twin blade throttle body which is not a direct bolt on..

oh thats right. RIF (reading is fundamental) sounds good. I'm just a moron that cant read. LOL

Its all good man, hopefulllyyyyy Ill have some updates for yall by the end of tonight.. I forsee some serious custom shyte being made before this thing gets bolted on first tho.. :( S.O.B.

i took off the TB and just cleaned it and lubed it up... it had enough gunk on it to qualify for EPA funding. I was having trouble getting a few cables off of the plenum so I decided I'd save it for another day because I have work tomorrow and its too nice to be sitting screaming at my car, just gonna wash and cruise it instead. But I alread had my dremel out so I shaved down the bolts on the TB plate :) every mm helps right? Did you say your idle went a little rougher after boreing(?) the TB?

Alright so I really didnt get anywhere this weekend with the LS but my buddy just got his Saleen charger for his 05 GT so hes giving my his stock intake manifold and Im gonna see what I can do with that sometime soon, got work and Im moving too so dont really got time for my baby right now.. Im hoping to have an update of some sort soon but no promises..

Rainnn.. sure enough I get time to do something today and it rains.. I cant wait till Im in Florida with my other DD so this thing can go into the garage for some serious R&D

Anywho.. Obviously Ive been slacking on this twin blade throttle body situation. Ive come to terns that this might be harder than I originally thought, I have to make a complete plenum device/piece in order to use the Mustang throttle body and getting it to mount in the same location is gonna be a complete PITA.. What Im looking at now rather is/should be a lot simpler. The 4.0 V6 BBK throttle bodies also use the same connectors as the Gen2 3.9's.. The twin blade is going on Ebay and Im going to purchase the 70mm monoblade BBK throttle body which should be a direct bolt on.. More to follow.. Oh also Im going up to Stainless Works this weekend if everything goes as planned to check out the entire headers back system they have..

This may be a stupid question because I know the intake manifold is different but is the 2nd gen tb different from the 1st gen? Also keep me posted on the stainless works, they still haven't gotten back to me and last I heard they hadn't contacted Sully either.

Yea its been 2 days for me waiting to get a confirmation on what day is best to make the trip up there.. But yes the throttle bodies are different, Gen 2's are drive by wire instead of the traditional throttle cable like Gen 1's.. I believe they are the same diameter but dont quote me on it as Im not 100%

Members online

Back