Headers In!

The exhaust was done on June 6th, but I have unfortunately discovered some leakage on the passenger side. That side is going to have to come down again. I'm not excited to re-do this side. I will post vids as soon as I fix the issue.

One edge on top of the motor mount had to be trimmed down 3/16 of an inch. It didn't appear that it would have an effect on the structural integrity of the mount so I did what I had to do. ;)

The leak on the passenger side, any clues if it's fitment related or just a bad gasket? Also, did you install these from under the car? Kind of what it looks like from the pics.

You also mentioned the starter wouldn't go in. Did you have to get a different starter? Or you just mean you have to drop the headers to put the starter in/out?

The stock ones go from the bottom so I'm sure he put these ones in from the bottom.. ;)

That just sounds horrible. No wonder these things have traded hands a half-dozen times.

The leak on the passenger side, any clues if it's fitment related or just a bad gasket? Also, did you install these from under the car? Kind of what it looks like from the pics.

You also mentioned the starter wouldn't go in. Did you have to get a different starter? Or you just mean you have to drop the headers to put the starter in/out?

I'm pretty sure it's a bad gasket, but we will see when I remove it. I used the original starter, but it was a pain due to the fact that there are pipes in the way that weren't there before. Accessing the top mounting bolt and putting the starter cables on were the biggest pita of my life. One thing I haven't mentioned is that I also have to create a better EGR tube. Right now I just have temp/fuel resistant hose rigged. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure it's a bad gasket, but we will see when I remove it. I used the original starter, but it was a pain due to the fact that there are pipes in the way that weren't there before. Accessing the top mounting bolt and putting the starter cables on were the biggest pita of my life. One thing I haven't mentioned is that I also have to create a better EGR tube. Right now I just have temp/fuel resistant hose rigged. :rolleyes:

Hey, if it works enough so you can move the car, who cares. Better then having a dead car in the way.

Thanks for all the info. Glad to see someone else breaking into this first. Interested to see what kind of dyno numbers you get and how bad the exhaust hangs down. It would worry the hell out of me not knowing if I could drive over a speed bump. Bad enough the frame rails bottom out, would really suck if the exhaust collector hits too.

What's the latest? Did the leak get resolved? Ground Clearence issues? Dyno? Vid with audio?

Sorry I've been gone so long. I have been really busy with the whole going back to school thing. No videos yet, but I did fix the leak. I will try to get a video up soon.

Gasket Leak.JPG

Leak at Cylinder Head.jpg

Header Leak.JPG

Sorry I've been gone so long. I have been really busy with the whole going back to school thing. No videos yet, but I did fix the leak. I will try to get a video up soon.

Am I reading those pictures right, you had a blow-out on 3 of 4 cylinders?

Cause if so, Damn. Something is warped.

It almost looks like the back bolt got too much love early on and it didn't let the rest of the flange seat properly. The blowout gets bigger the further away you get from the rear cylinder. Time to break out a straightedge and some feeler gauges.

Something ain't right in those pictures. It looks like the header ports aren't matching up with the ports on the head. If so this is your problem and you're not going to see the performance gain you want, if fact you might loos performance. Either that or the gasket was installed wrong, maybe wrong side, upside down, head side to header side wrong. Something is definitely wrong.

It was definitely my fault. The gasket was upside down. It's a terrible idea to work on a car at 12am. Now at least it doesn't sound like a Harley Davidson. :rolleyes:

It was definitely my fault. The gasket was upside down. It's a terrible idea to work on a car at 12am. Now at least it doesn't sound like a Harley Davidson. :rolleyes:

Well I'm glad you have it fixed. I'd recommend re-tightening the bolts after a few heat cycles, say 3-5 days of driving.

Out of curiosity, did you figure out the gasket was wrong before I mentioned it?

Well I'm glad you have it fixed. I'd recommend re-tightening the bolts after a few heat cycles, say 3-5 days of driving.

Out of curiosity, did you figure out the gasket was wrong before I mentioned it?

Yes fortunately. I fixed it a little over a month ago. I have checked them and everything seems good. Now I just have to find a way to steal my sister's camera without her knowing. ;)

You took on job very few would try, improvised with no obvious problems, and job looks terrific. As far as gasket upside down, no big deal at all. The overall job is very well done!

Members online

No members online now.
Back