Having a little problem!!!

KC96LSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I wrote about this a few months ago and I'm still having issues. Here is what has been happening. This summer these things all started to happen. It wouldn't hold the temp. If I turned on the A/C the car would gradually start to heat up (the fan is running), I would turn the A/C of before it went to high. Along with that, My A/C would only blow cold when it was set at the 60 setting. When I would move it to 65 it would blow hot. I replace the thermostat and radiator. The water pump isn't leaking and I don't think that's the problem. As a few of you know, I was down (health) for a while. Now the weather is a little colder the temp seams to not want to heat up as quickly as it normally would. When I'm on the high and the R's are up, it runs right around normal temp.

The last time I asked about it, someone mentioned the VCRM. fortunately I found a 96' VCRM at the yard and have that in hand. I didn't want to put it in before I asked you all one more time what thoughts you might have.

I'm not sure this is related but, back when all of this started, I had pulled out my amps out of the trunk for a few days while I had some paint touched up. When I put the amps back in, I started getting a lot of engine noise. Not only the alt. noise, but I get a load hum when the fan kicks in and when the air ride comes on.

Sorry about the novel here, but any idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

Are the amps grounded in the same location to something solid? I know the sound you're talking about and I moved my grounding location to the tub of the trunk. I drilled through the metal just above where the two bolts stick up and then took a grinder and went to the metal. I done this on the top and bottom side of the ground and the noise went away. If that doesn't fix the noise, you might have the type of deck that has the built in RCA's on the back side. If so, take about 10 strands of speaker wire and cut it long enough to wrap around all of the RCA outputs on the back of the deck. Just keep looping it around all of them so that they're all grounded to each other and that should remove all the noise. Also, make sure the deck itself is grounded directly to the metal right behind it and not to the wiring harness.

First thing to test to see if it's the RCA's is to turn the car on, turn the amps on but have the RCA cables off the amp. If you don't hear noise coming through the inside speakers, it's the RCA outputs on the back of the deck. If you do hear noise, it's most likely how the amp itself is grounded.

It is all grounded as it was the first time around. But you have given me some good advice and I will give it a try tomorrow. Thanks Nolimit95

When you get done, I'd like to know which one it was. You definitely have a ground loop going on and I know the sound all too well. It's annoying but if you don't hear that noise when you pull the RCA's off the amp, then no need to waste your time with the main amp ground. Not sure how many amps you have but it's best if they are grounded at the same location.

I wasted about 2 hours dealing with the main ground and then I finally figured out that it was the RCA outputs on the back of the deck. I have never had a deck with the outputs built on. Mine have always been wired out off the deck and I only use Kenwood eXcelon CD players. I have three now and the newest one I have in the car is the KDC-X993 and the outputs are directly on the back and not wired out like I'm used to. I had to ground all of the RCA's coming off the back of the deck and I have ZERO noise now. I didn't have it in the beginning. It just popped up on it's own. I had the whine and then when the cooling fan kicked on, dayum that noise was loud and annoying. Now there is no noise at all since grounding all the RCA's on the back. Good luck with it and let us know what it turned out to be.

Oh man,
I hear my alt and my rcas are built on the deck...guess I'll try it too

Oh man,
I hear my alt and my rcas are built on the deck...guess I'll try it too

Ask Bill, I swear it works for most engine noises. Also, grounding the deck directly to the metal behind it is one of the best moves you could make. I never use the ground wire on the wiring harness. The shorter the ground, the better. It's not hard to accomplish having a ground loop. The noise suppressors they sell simply suck. They reduce it a little but all you're doing is hiding a problem and you will still hear the noise.

Lets say you have 6 outputs on the back. The top would likely be the front and then next would be the rear and the bottom would be the sub output. Take a long piece of speaker wire, about one foot and split it into a single side. Take the insulation off and then just unravel about 10 strands. That's all it takes. Start at the top and go around one output, over to the next and to the next and so on and so on until you are back to where you started. Plug all of your RCA's back in and then give it a go. Noise should be gone.

Are the amps grounded in the same location to something solid? I know the sound you're talking about and I moved my grounding location to the tub of the trunk. I drilled through the metal just above where the two bolts stick up and then took a grinder and went to the metal. I done this on the top and bottom side of the ground and the noise went away. If that doesn't fix the noise, you might have the type of deck that has the built in RCA's on the back side. If so, take about 10 strands of speaker wire and cut it long enough to wrap around all of the RCA outputs on the back of the deck. Just keep looping it around all of them so that they're all grounded to each other and that should remove all the noise. Also, make sure the deck itself is grounded directly to the metal right behind it and not to the wiring harness.

First thing to test to see if it's the RCA's is to turn the car on, turn the amps on but have the RCA cables off the amp. If you don't hear noise coming through the inside speakers, it's the RCA outputs on the back of the deck. If you do hear noise, it's most likely how the amp itself is grounded.

i had to do that to my old pioneer 860mp..Just wrap them in wire and ground it to the security screw in the back of the unit.

Also the best ground i've found on any of my cars is the rear seat bolts.

i had to do that to my old pioneer 860mp..Just wrap them in wire and ground it to the security screw in the back of the unit.

Also the best ground i've found on any of my cars is the rear seat bolts.

You really don't have to ground the wire to a screw but it's not hurting anything either. The reason I picked using the tub and drilling in there was to keep my wire as short as possible and hide it at the same time. I primed and painted the under side so no rust would ever get started. If your amps are mounted up in that area, then yes, the seat bolts are a perfect solid spot.

I appreciate all the input, I will let you know how it turns out. Can anyone give some opinions about my other problem. Do the symptoms I mentioned sound like something a bad VCRM would do. It's almost like the stat is open, but I'm 100% sure that's not the problem. Thanks again everyone.

My guess would be that you still have an air pocket somewhere in the cooling system and making sure it's burped at the crossover tube is what I would do first. You say the fan is running because it's making noise through the stereo system. The reason the air feels cooler is because when you set it at 60, the blend door is closing off and only getting the air from inside the car unless I'm mistaken.

Being low on 134a could be another reason it's not blowing cool. You need to get a gauge on that and see where it stands on pressure. If not enough, the compressor will usually kick off and on but if low just enough, it will stay running but not be enough to cool like it should. If there is too much pressure, it won't cool good either. I would just check the pressure on the AC while it's on MAX AC and see what it's reading. 40 to 45 psi is about where it should be and also, try to burp the system again to make sure all air is out. One air pocket in there can cause it to get hot on you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back