Has anyone ever...

5speed02

LVC Member
Reaction score
Dumped the exhaust infront of the rear wheels, i had the car up on the lift and had an idea. The only problem i see is how close to the gas tank it would be and other than that it looks like it will work. Im going to try and cut out of work early tommrow and head to the local exhaust shop and see what they say.

5speed02 said:
Dumped the exhaust infront of the rear wheels, i had the car up on the lift and had an idea. The only problem i see is how close to the gas tank it would be and other than that it looks like it will work. Im going to try and cut out of work early tommrow and head to the local exhaust shop and see what they say.

the DOT standards in most states say that "the exhaust must exit the car behind the passenger compartment"...

Quik LS said:
the DOT standards in most states say that "the exhaust must exit the car behind the passenger compartment"...
Lou, you think that putting an exhaust outlet just infront of the rear wheels would constituted "behind the passenger compartment"? It might be a stretch but it might fly.

I know the Mustangs pass inspection with it just in front of the rear wheels - but they don't have a rear door. exhaust could flow into an open rear door on our LS may be an issue.....

Roush Racing Pipes

I have been eye balling the side pipes that roush has on the 03-04 mustang kits and if i had the time, money or expertise would try and get those on mine. They are the rectangular outlet ones, the only issues are where they would come out, most likely having to mod the side rails.

I looked at those to - but again probably would not pass DOT standards - and here in Texas we have annual inspections.

Quik LS said:
I looked at those to - but again probably would not pass DOT standards - and here in Texas we have annual inspections.
Move to Tennessee!! We don't have annual inspections here! :N

SidePipes

In PA we have annual inspections, but the sidepipes would still pass. In Pa they can exit in front of the rear tires, just as long as they do not exit under the vehicle. :L

i dont care about inspections, i work at a dealer that my uncle owns, so it wont be a problem...i was just wondering if anyone has done it yet or am i about to step it up a notch?

5speed02 said:
i dont care about inspections, i work at a dealer that my uncle owns, so it wont be a problem...i was just wondering if anyone has done it yet or am i about to step it up a notch?
I'd like to see it. Could be a cool mod!

I would think you would raise the temp. and consequently the tire pressure on the rear tires. Not a good thing. I also don't think it would look good on this car. It is not a hot rod Mustang. JMHO

Pete 2004 LS V-6 said:
I would think you would raise the temp. and consequently the tire pressure on the rear tires. Not a good thing. I also don't think it would look good on this car. It is not a hot rod Mustang. JMHO

But we will never know how it would look if you never see it!! I dont know,i think im gonna try and see how it will look and work.

Members online

No members online now.
Back