hard start in morning

lincolndude

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 base,all stock,in the morning when its cold I have to turn it over about 4 times before it starts.When it does start its a little rough bout it smooths right out.A friend of mine told me its the fuel pump,to test it he told me to turn the key on(but dont start) a couple of times then start it.It starts fine when I do that.any ideas?

filter first. much much cheaper and it probably needs to be changed anyway.

if the problem doesn't get any better, pump is probably weak or you need a new fuel pressure regulator.

Your pump check valve is bad. If you replace it with a higher performance pump be aware that many of them including the SVT Focus pump do not have check valves built in and you will need one inline. If you are unwilling to swap the pump now an option would be an inline check valve. This was pointed out to me recently after my SVT Focus pump swap and will be done soon.

If you did a check valve the best place would be inside the tank before the fuel hat. It needs to be as close to the tank as possible to work right and splicing the fuel line isnt a great idea.

Fuel pumps are under $80 for a new OEM style 255lph on ebay.

I had the same issue with my 98 untill I swapped out its pump.

If you use one, it needs to be after or in the tank on the supply side, that way the line will always be stable and not backflowing by lost pressure. But I would do a new pump, keep it stock.

Members online

Back