hard jerk when put in drive

pressley

LVC Member
Reaction score
hard jerk when you put the car from park to drive. any ideas? all coils were replaced 2 weeks ago.

Does it do it when you go from park to reverse also?

mine does hard shift into reverse sometimes, usualy cold start.

Updated pcm code or new solenoid. This has been covered before I'm pretty sure. Search should yield an answer.

i've had that for quite some time too. the clank and really harsh jolt from P to R and from P to D. it's embarassing when i've got someone in the car and we're taking off from a parking spot.

when this first started happening i immediately took it to a mechanic to get the automatic transmission service done. drained the tranny reservoir, put in the fresh quarts, replaced the torque converter etc. it made my shifting from 1st to 5th gear smoother, but did nothing it improve P to R or P to D.

It doesnt matter wether its cold or warm anytime that start the car and put it in drive from park, i get a kick forward. i dont notice it in reverse. what can this be?

Guibo=flex coupler.

Our driveshaft has one on each end and power is driven through them.

DS2.jpg

When I say a hard push i mean before i as soon as i put it in drive it does it without applying on the gas. and im forced to breake hard. The car dont roll, its hard jerk or push, shove

I can almost asure you that if the car jerks from park to drive or reverse that its the tranny seliniod. The one in my car went bad and it did the same thing you guys are going through. My brother in law is a lincoln mechanic and he told me 9 out of ten times its that.

why isn't the solenoid replacing during a transmission service? i don't get that. is it really that unrelated to the other work involved?

I can almost asure you that if the car jerks from park to drive or reverse that its the tranny seliniod. The one in my car went bad and it did the same thing you guys are going through. My brother in law is a lincoln mechanic and he told me 9 out of ten times its that.

any idea of cost? dealer closed and can't find it online. DIY or shop?

cheers

I know its not cheap parts or labor i would say your best bet is have it done by a mechanic. I will get you a price for the part and labor from my brother in law tommorow. Thank god for warranty.

what's the worst that can happen if I don't get it fixed? I don't feel like a $500 fix right now.

well, i'll let you know if the new PCM flash ($50) will sort out the hard shift problem tomorrow.

I get this problem when the engine is cold, when you start the car try giving it like 25 seconds to idle down a little bit, you will actually watch the RPMs drop at this point try putting it in gear and see what happens.

:]

I get this problem when the engine is cold, when you start the car try giving it like 25 seconds to idle down a little bit, you will actually watch the RPMs drop at this point try putting it in gear and see what happens.

:]

Exactly what I do.. The engine goes to what 1500 at start? and 20 some seconds later drops below a grand. I still however find the knock when going from R to P.

Exactly what I do.. The engine goes to what 1500 at start? and 20 some seconds later drops below a grand. I still however find the knock when going from R to P.

Mine does exact same thing. I always wait til the car idles down. I thin k it says to do so in the manual.

Members online

No members online now.
Back