Guess what I started working on today?

Frogman

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I promise to nicer if you promise to be smarter.
I took initial measurements and the like to estimate what I need for materials and the like. Won't start on a mold till I get back from Phoenix, though.

IMG_20110504_120729.png

That's good news.. I thought you might have started a small war in Central-America.

So the carbon covers are going to be reality? That would be great, have you come to an estimated cost for this yet?

I will endeavor to make them a reality. I'm already seeing some changes I may have to make to them. Nothing outrageous or that will take away from their functionality, but nevertheless, changes.

I foresee some possible issues with the cover to head gasket groove. I may have to make that area flat if I can find a flat gasket that is the same size. If I can't, then the price will go up simply because that area is very hard to mold properly. The groove is 4.17mm (.16 inches). Same goes for the COP cover. The groove on that is a scant 3.29mm (.13 inches) wide.

IMG_20110504_120603.png

The COP cover, I'm not too concerned about. The groove on the bottom of the valve covers, I am. I refuse to spend all that time making a mold and a ton of trial and error runs if I can't come up with something that will seal properly. It would be silly to buy a valve cover that leaks oil.

I'll keep you updated.

They did. You wrapped them so well, they could have probably withstood a nuclear blast. :lol:

ps. Thank you for the new T-shirts. One size too small for me, but how did you know my favorite color?

Well, you never know when a nuclear blast will occur...

Anyway, I'm glad you like the shirts. My wife washed a bunch of my uniform shirts with a bunch of my red shop rags.....

The result? T-shirts, in your favorite color....pink. ;)

Tell the wife she's fired.

Not only did she not do a good job washing them (note grease stains), but she also shrunk them. I was thinking they are medium size, but they indeed are large. I wear large, but that would be too small, now that it's shrunk. :p

IMG_20110504_171949.png

I have not been following this 100% so forgive me not knowing. Are you making the whole VC out of carbon fiber or a carbon fiber VC cover? If making the VC wouldn't just vacuum wrapping it in CF be easier?

couldn't you just get a gasket sheet
and cut out your own gasket that way you dont need to
make a grove for factory gaskets
just a thought hopefully not a re re one

I have not been following this 100% so forgive me not knowing. Are you making the whole VC out of carbon fiber or a carbon fiber VC cover? If making the VC wouldn't just vacuum wrapping it in CF be easier?

Again not to be a dick but whats the use of making the whole thing out of CF? You could make the cover nice and smooth covering all the mounting bolts. No gaskets to worry about no leaking to worry about no threads to worry about and cheaper to bring more to the masses.

I took initial measurements and the like to estimate what I need for materials and the like. Won't start on a mold till I get back from Phoenix, though.

IMG_20110504_120729.png

Oh no! Phoenix??:shifty:

Good luck with the covers.

Quit sucking it in frog. :lol:

I'm not.

Again not to be a dick but whats the use of making the whole thing out of CF? You could make the cover nice and smooth covering all the mounting bolts. No gaskets to worry about no leaking to worry about no threads to worry about and cheaper to bring more to the masses.

I understand where you're going. But what's the point of just wrapping it? Hell, it would be even easier to just make a cover for it then.

I'm not against wrapping in general, but IMHO that's only if you want the product to look like CF or if the product is damned near impossible (or expensive) to make out of CF.

You're more than welcome to start wrapping some. I bet full CF will sell better in this case.

:eek: Man oh man, let that bird out of its cage! SQUAWK, SQUAWK :D

Almost had a flash back of MAN BOOB GUY! :D

Eh. I've done my PT time in my younger years. After all that and a broken back, I think I've earned the right to be fat and happy, now.

Oh no! Phoenix??:shifty:

Good luck with the covers.

I have a house in Mesa.

Members online

No members online now.
Back