GS430 Vs LS??????

JoeyLincolnMK8 said:
just for $hits and giggles i was building my own IS from lexus site. they did not have those options to select the moonroof and perforated heated leather seats.

Weird. I just went there and had several packages to choose from that included perforated leather heated seats. Another weird thing is that I can't deselect a package?? So, in other words, you HAVE to buy the $2500 package or higher?? Is that right?

Moonroof is standard, apparently.

It does come out cheaper on the Lexus site, though. I did it through Edmunds before and it was quite different. However, one big difference I noticed on the Lexus site is that you have to step up to the $6800 package, minimum, to get memory seats. That's pretty ridiculous.

Qbrozen said:
Weird. I just went there and had several packages to choose from that included perforated leather heated seats. Another weird thing is that I can't deselect a package?? So, in other words, you HAVE to buy the $2500 package or higher?? Is that right?

It does come out cheaper on the Lexus site, though. I did it through Edmunds before and it was quite different. However, one big difference I noticed on the Lexus site is that you have to step up to the $6800 package, minimum, to get memory seats. That's pretty ridiculous.
Thats the way the premium brands get you nowadays is if you want one little option you have to get some whole package. Ridiculous stuff.

Qbrozen said:

that is very weird... i had like 4 options to choose from. hmmmm maybe i think it is based off of area codes? but i did not have that option to step up to the $6800 package. very weird!

Fla02LS said:
Dude, look back at the progression of the posts. It went from a Lexus vs. LS inquiry with regards to price and quality. It then went in the direction of 0-60 times and 1/4 mile and how much horsepower and whats the "fastest" V6. You may not have gone that direction but thats the direction it went.

And, again, how does going 0-60 as fast as you want for your own personal amusement differ from any number of others things you do for your own amusement (like owning a big screen TV, etc)?

And forget about endangering others, because that's a driver-by-driver thing and has nothing to do with it. I like hitting the track whenever possible ... as do many many other folks. So why should i not care about how fast a car is? Back to my roller coaster analogy ... i'm not riding the teapots when I can go on the looping coaster instead. If you don't find fun in driving a fast car, that's your issue. That's exactly why they make the Toyota Prius ... for those who don't care about "fun" in their car.

JoeyLincolnMK8 said:
that is very weird... i had like 4 options to choose from. hmmmm maybe i think it is based off of area codes? but i did not have that option to step up to the $6800 package. very weird!

i guess that's why they ask for zip code before you can configure your car. Bizarre they'd want to offer different things to different regions, though. Oh well.

Qbrozen said:
And, again, how does going 0-60 as fast as you want for your own personal amusement differ from any number of others things you do for your own amusement (like owning a big screen TV, etc)?

And forget about endangering others, because that's a driver-by-driver thing and has nothing to do with it. I like hitting the track whenever possible ... as do many many other folks. So why should i not care about how fast a car is? Back to my roller coaster analogy ... i'm not riding the teapots when I can go on the looping coaster instead. If you don't find fun in driving a fast car, that's your issue. That's exactly why they make the Toyota Prius ... for those who don't care about "fun" in their car.
I understand your analogy, and it makes sense. But you used a key word, "personal amusement". That doesnt involve anybody but you. You driving above the speed limit is illegal, thats a lame point but true. And that "fun" driving affects others, not exactly me, i'm a big boy and i consider myself a good driver and i can spot the a-holes and handle my own. But its the old lady or the soccor mom not paying attention that gets startled or whatever and crosses the median or swerves and runs off the road. I feel the same way about excessively slow drivers, by driving slow or even right at the speed limit in some cases you cause people to slow down and drive around you being an obstacle. If your driving adversely affects other drivers than thats a problem.

hell if i can get that IS for that price $hit i am stealing that car. also i think i can shave like $1-2k off of it... which would be around $33-34k, out the door that would be sic!

Underpowered BMWs?? Never neard that before.

The 92-01 540i has 282 hp, 02-03 540i has 290hp, the newer body 545i has 325hp/6100rpm and 330lb/3600rpm torque, the latest 550i has 360hp/6300rpm and 360lb of torque at only 3400rpm. And none of those are M models. The M models are very powerful, like, 91 m5 has 315hp, 94-95 has 340hp, 99-03 has 400hp, and the new one 05-up 507hp, just saw one yesterday, wow. But of course the Ms are very expensive, even used.

I don't know about underpowered BMWs man, even my 90 325i can kick my LS's a*s any day in acceleration and speed.

SSTUD wrote:

"For a BMW 5 series, dont they only have 230 hp? I dont know bmw's that well, and the ones i were looking at were the pre 03 restyling..but i do like the fact that bmw puts a manual in almost everyone of thier cars as an option. i just think unless you get an m series they are under powered."

Fla02LS said:
I understand your analogy, and it makes sense. But you used a key word, "personal amusement". That doesnt involve anybody but you. You driving above the speed limit is illegal, thats a lame point but true. And that "fun" driving affects others, not exactly me, i'm a big boy and i consider myself a good driver and i can spot the a-holes and handle my own. But its the old lady or the soccor mom not paying attention that gets startled or whatever and crosses the median or swerves and runs off the road. I feel the same way about excessively slow drivers, by driving slow or even right at the speed limit in some cases you cause people to slow down and drive around you being an obstacle. If your driving adversely affects other drivers than thats a problem.

reread my post. i specifically talk about the track. So, no, my "fun" driving affects nobody else.

why get a Lexus IS just buy a Hyundai Sonata the cars look the same!
and then when you race and loose to an Lexus IS just have the 10-15K you saved and throw it up and down in your car. Frankly anytime you see the Lexus IS do the same thing [(just want to make sure I don't get the race nazi's on my case)]

Buying a car is your personal prefrence. I was lucky and fell in love with the LS. sure I liked BMW's and Benzes but for the price range I was in ~22K nothing could match the LS.

free139stylz said:
See the problem is it didnt seem like the LS was all the smooth of a ride or powerful..... Whats with the v6 s-type jag are they as fast as the v8 ls? and all the CTS I see are v6 there not that quick are they??? whats the fastest v6 luxury car you guys know of? just a v6 no turbo or supercharger
acura TL

JaredLS said:
why get a Lexus IS just buy a Hyundai Sonata the cars look the same!
and then when you race and loose to an Lexus IS just have the 10-15K you saved and throw it up and down in your car. Frankly anytime you see the Lexus IS do the same thing [(just want to make sure I don't get the race nazi's on my case)]

why would you buy a hyundai and dump 10-15k on it? i rather have the IS. true story here. i know this guy who has a 88 or 89 LX stang, in his own words said this.... i swear to god. he says to me and my good friend "i am starting to get fed up with my car, i wasted $60k on it and i only do 12.8, with that money i could have bought a corvette and still have money left over for the insurance." he is the most nicest guy i have ever met, really cool guy too. and i just hear from my buddies that he went to the track and snapped his rear end on the car. so that is why i can not see people dump soooo much into a car while to can buy something that 1. retains in value in the long run. 2. it is already fast out of the box 3. you know that if something breaks in that car you can bring it back to the dealer and get it fixed on the arm!

Infiniti G35 sedan, I am not talking about the M3, because it's 6 ciliner in line, you asked about the V6s.

free139stylz said:
See the problem is it didnt seem like the LS was all the smooth of a ride or powerful..... Whats with the v6 s-type jag are they as fast as the v8 ls? and all the CTS I see are v6 there not that quick are they??? whats the fastest v6 luxury car you guys know of? just a v6 no turbo or supercharger

My boss has a new Infiniti M45. I have never been much of an Infiniti fan but that ride is awesome.

Fla02LS said:
I dont understand all the emphasis on 0-60 times and horsepower ratings when deciding to buy a car. Unless it's some sh!tbox 4 cylinder then most all cars have plenty of power to do 99.9% of the driving you need. This has to be a direct correlation to the number of a-hole drivers nowadays. Everyone needs 300+ horsepower. Why? Is there such a need to prove yourself to others by having a faster car ? Its a total invasion but i'd love to see government standards of horsepower and top speed on cars. I looked at plenty of cars before buying my LS, and some took about two seconds after sitting in them to decide i didnt want it, never even started the engine. Your paying a premium price for a premium name. All of the 35-40k+ cars have great quality its just a matter of what suits you best.

That is true if you are comparing a cobalt to a civic. Both are slow turds with just enough power to get you out in traffic before the grandma passes you in the slow lane.

Lets get real, he is looking a sport luxury sedans. Not bread and butter cars like the impala or ford 500. I always look at the HP rating on a car. If you ever plan on racing it or just want a car that can hang on the weekends or if your a spirited driver then HP matters to you. If not then dont buy a car that has that advertised. Fast luxury cars demand a premium. Thats why bmw has M series, MB has AMG, caddy has V-series, Lexus has the GS series, Jag has R-type, Lincoln has the LS are all set at farily high prices and thats why people pay to get them. Going fast with class.

JoeyLincolnMK8 said:
why would you buy a hyundai and dump 10-15k on it? i rather have the IS. true story here. i know this guy who has a 88 or 89 LX stang, in his own words said this.... i swear to god. he says to me and my good friend "i am starting to get fed up with my car, i wasted $60k on it and i only do 12.8, with that money i could have bought a corvette and still have money left over for the insurance." he is the most nicest guy i have ever met, really cool guy too. and i just hear from my buddies that he went to the track and snapped his rear end on the car. so that is why i can not see people dump soooo much into a car while to can buy something that 1. retains in value in the long run. 2. it is already fast out of the box 3. you know that if something breaks in that car you can bring it back to the dealer and get it fixed on the arm!

60k on a fox stang? that only runs 12.8? Thats total BS its impossible to spend that much and go that slow unless he has 14k gold rims, with a 15,000 stero system, more dvd LCD screnes then radio shack! Even if you did a total frame off resto and dropped in a new drive train..it wouldnt cost anything close to 60k. even if you had a 40k dollar motor tranny combo it still wouldnt cost 60k in the end.:bsflag: :bsflag:

*yawn* whatever dude. you were not there so do not even question me. who knows why it equaled that much. probably parts and labor, stuff in the car probably got f'ed up and he had to get it replaced. who knows, but those are his words. why would someone lie on saying how much they spent on there car. he was man enough to even say that he wasted that much, most people would not say at all.

Fla02LS said:
...snip...Unless it's some sh!tbox 4 cylinder then most all cars have plenty of power to do 99.9% of the driving you need. This has to be a direct correlation to the number of a-hole drivers nowadays. Everyone needs 300+ horsepower. Why? Is there such a need to prove yourself to others by having a faster car ? Its a total invasion but i'd love to see government standards of horsepower and top speed on cars....snip...

You have GOT to be $hitting me!!! I almost fell out of my chair when I read that...

But of course, I also drive a 500 hp Cobra. I've also been driving for almost 40 years. I've got a grand total of two tickets...both of them in a V6 Grand Prix.

By your logic, we should also ban stereo systems, navigation systems, information centers, just about any option on the car that can detract from driving the car. Hmmm....might as well get rid of cupholders too...better not have a soda or cup of coffee with you.

There are countries out there that do the sort of things you imply. Try living in one of them for a while and let us know how you like it.

Your statement absolutely stuns me beyond belief.

JoeyLincolnMK8 said:
*yawn* whatever dude. you were not there so do not even question me. who knows why it equaled that much. probably parts and labor, stuff in the car probably got f'ed up and he had to get it replaced. who knows, but those are his words. why would someone lie on saying how much they spent on there car. he was man enough to even say that he wasted that much, most people would not say at all.

I have to admit Joey...I had an 89 LX that would hit 11's on a good day that I built for 10k...including the car. And it had impeccable street manners. Of course, I did ALL the work...everything including the machine work at a close friend's machine shop.

2001LS8Sport said:
I have to admit Joey...I had an 89 LX that would hit 11's on a good day that I built for 10k...including the car. And it had impeccable street manners. Of course, I did ALL the work...everything including the machine work at a close friend's machine shop.

You are absolutely correct. But on that same token I have seen certain people with no real vision or understanding of how to make their car fast, and end up spending an insane amount of money. I am figuring that guy probably tried to take shortcuts here and there and got burned in the long run. Though it is a pretty high number, I can see $60k being spent on making a car decently fast if the person doesnt have a clue as to what they are doing.

rocket5979 said:
You are absolutely correct. But on that same token I have seen certain people with no real vision or understanding of how to make their car fast, and end up spending an insane amount of money. I am figuring that guy probably tried to take shortcuts here and there and got burned in the long run. Though it is a pretty high number, I can see $60k being spent on making a car decently fast if the person doesnt have a clue as to what they are doing.

I agree Rocket...but damn that's a lot of mistakes to eat up 60K!! Of course, he very well could have had 15K in paint, another 5K or better in stereo equipment, 5K in the interior, wheels, etc etc that don't have a thing to do with performance. So maybe it's not as bad as it sounds.

see there might be more factors on to why it costed so much for him. maybe he started out small, then slowly upgrading to newer and more expensive parts. yes i have to say for that much he should of been not in the 11's but maybe in mid to very low 10's! granted this was about 3 yrs ago, he told us this, and like i said on one of my posts in this thread that sometime this year he f'ed his rear end at the track. things break and needs to be repaired. maybe he is totaling all work, maintenace and mods? who the hell knows but as much as of a cool and nice guy he is, it is sad that he is not going to get nearly as half for his car if he sells it.

Sorry I jsut wanted to compare the GS to the LS didnt think it would cause so much trouble lol

free139stylz said:
Sorry I jsut wanted to compare the GS to the LS didnt think it would cause so much trouble lol

haha.
hey, its just a 2 page tangent. no biggie. :)

But the whole fox mustang thing helped you choose between the LS and GS, right?

Members online

No members online now.
Back