Grinding on heavy acceleration, LS V6 2005

tfrag06

LVC Member
Reaction score
When I accelerate heavily, especially in RH turn, I hear a crazy grinding from the rear axle area... soundsl like gear slipping...

What is that? Only have 59000 miles on it...:mad:

Check your fluid. I wouldn't be doing any more hard acceleration, i'm sure something is already messed up.

Differential fluid. You said the sound is coming from the rear correct?

Yes - does fine with normal and even brisk acceleration - but when I hammer the mighty V6, I get a grinding. I even turned OFF the Traction control - still grinds. Makes me want to sell it NOW>

He's saying to check the oil in your differential.

BTW, it is also possible to check the fluid in the transmission, but that isn't likely to be your problem.

Diff fluid level shouldn't make it slip right? Maybe whine... WTF?

If you run with it low for long enough, you'll wear your gears down until they start skipping (grinding noise). At this point you would be past fixing it just by changing the oil, but if you check it you can confirm that this is the problem and know that the differential has to be replaced or rebuilt.

If you find that the oil if full, good, and clean, then maybe it is something else.

I only have 59000 miles on this thing... BUT, I hear you. Looks like the actual diff is independent of the two driveshafts going to the wheels. Wondering if D/S splines are the issue. Diff gears are big. Will need to take it to a pro, as I have lost my GASht to work on cars.

Any other ideas? This can't be uncommon...

... This can't be uncommon...

It's not unheard of, but AFAIK, it is uncommon. I suppose it could be a CV joint problem, but I don't think I heard of one of those failing on the LS. I have heard of differential failures. Anyway, as you said, you'll have to get it looked at.

Members online

Back