Got the lower grill painted black (with crappy pics)

smdandb2

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
It's getting there!

767733864_h3sZA-O.jpg

767733801_4rkXe-O.jpg

767733853_44PZ9-O.jpg

Well it does make the yellow fogs look less out of place. By it self it looks pretty good.

I was just going to say it's white powder, but you guys out there would probably be thinking of something completely different.

I was just going to say it's white powder, but you guys out there would probably be thinking of something completely different.

Reminds me of when we lived in SLC. They were updating their license plates and selected the phrase "the greatest snow on earth". There was a minor uproar about the negative connotation "the greatest snow" portrayed. They were actually afraid people would think Utah was home of the best coke on earth!

Oh yea, looks nice from the picture. Can you take a picture with a wider angle view?

Thanks guys.

Here is a point and shoot shot I took of the front when I was out and about running errands earlier.

767784967_3cSfr-O.jpg

And yeah, the greatest snow on earth my ass. I live in Salt Lake, and this winter has been really disappointing... haha.

Nice! Looks better than stock imho.
I wonder how it would look with the bottom line painted black too?

Looks good.

I also painted my lower grille, not sure if it is because of the prep or nature of the paint over but it chips with gravel and I need to redo this spring.

Get them spacers man. With these wheels it will look :q:q:q:q.

I saw starfox has/had a pair for sale... do you know of any good vendors online that sell these? I was looking to buy a set to put on this spring when I swap my wheels back

Hey Justin that came out really good. Looks sharp!!! Now to really clean it up, you will need to paint the part of the hood behind the grill black, so it will blend in. Also I see that you removed the front license bracket, you can get some small plugs at Autozone or Kragens and paint them silver with touch up paint and put them into your front bumper. To seal off those two little holes.

I'm thinkin about painting my McLaren and lower grille's black.
Did you get it professionally done or did you do it yourself?
If you did it yourself, what's are the steps you took to properly do this?
I am very interested in this look if you cant tell hhaha

smdandb2, looks great you should get the plugs for the license plate bracket holes will clean up the front even more.

March27001.gif

smdandb2, looks great you should get the plugs for the license plate bracket holes will clean up the front even more.

March27001.gif

I really like that look. I just have three questions for you:

1) Where do you get those plugs for the license plates?

2) How did you prep the plastic for paint, just sand paper?

3) What kind of paint did you use, glossy spray?

I don't know what smdandb2 did, he probably did it right :D

The plastic "plugs" were just those push fasteners that you find in the "HELP" section... got like 5 in a box for $2...

I roughed it up with sandpaper a little,
then sprayed light coat of primer,
then black (I think I used flat)
then 2 coats of clear
All paint was Duplicolor from pepboys / autozone

I had done the same process with my grille. I really wish I could find a can of Duplicolor (JP) Silver Birch Metallic...It seems the 1 can I did find and is now gone was the only one in stock, anywhere because they don't carry it anymore. Maybe I can find it online, but haven't had much luck in my quick search.

That looks great. With the matching upper grill it looks alot cleaner.

I just used one of the Touch-up in the little bottle with the brush and applied about 4 thin coats. I first sanded them and then pushed them on a piece of cardboard, so that I could paint the sides. Let them dry overnite and drilled the bumper a little bigger for the push pins.

Thanks guys. I am slowly coming along with the car. I have no idea why I havent bought the plugs yet. Honestly, I think its because I keep telling myself I am going to do the LSE front bumper.

As for painting the lower grill, it was simple.

Used a green pad and scuffed the area up. Taped it all up (and did a crappy job so I will have to touch a bunch of it up). Sprayed a few coats of adhesion promoter and then a few coats of the satin black trim paint.

I had the heater on it in the garage while we ran and bought some shisha (yum) and when we got back I parked it outside. So far so good. I guess I am just not that picky though. I have had the car for over 3 years, and in the last 2 weeks I just started modding it finally, haha.

Looks good. Something I will be doing very soon

Members online

No members online now.
Back