Good tranny shop in New Jersey ?

joeynat

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Anybody here know a good transmission shop in New Jersey from experience ?

Im in central jersey but would travel anywhere in the state or even New York knowing it was going to be done right.

I got all the parts from Max for the JMOD. I need that done and some fresh fluid.

I was going to bring it to any Ford Dealer but max told me they were going to laugh at me if I ask for the JMOD...I found that...strange ?

Yeah, a Ford dealer isn't going to modify your car for you. :rolleyes:

Have you already drilled the seperator plate, and just need to install it? You can do that in your driveway. :confused:

Last edited:
Not everyone has a lift in the garage, Doug. :D

When you do find a good shop, tell me. Mine is a simple swap but not looking forward to it.

Not everyone has a lift in the garage, Doug. :D

When you do find a good shop, tell me. Mine is a simple swap but not looking forward to it.

Who said anything about a lift? I said it could be done in a driveway. I worked on my cars for over 30 years in my driveway.

Someone told me hillsborough transmissions blows but now ill give ut a shot....no seperator plate just the pistons and springs. Bad idea ?

just the pistons and springs? pretty easy. doable in a driveway with ramps.

Someone told me hillsborough transmissions blows but now ill give ut a shot....no seperator plate just the pistons and springs. Bad idea ?

He has taken his cars there for years. They have worked on his 78 Diamond Jubilee Mark V, his two Mark VII's, and his 97 Mark VIII. He never had a problem.

just the pistons and springs? pretty easy. doable in a driveway with ramps.

Agreed. If it's just the 1-2 accumulator and springs, that's a 30 min job on stands or ramps. I done mine on the black 94 with the jack holding it up.

Swapped out the 94 trans for a 98 and swapped all electrical internals over to the 98 trans, removed the 94 trans, installed the 98 trans in the garage while up on jack stands. Done the j-mod while the 98 was out in the floor. Nothing to it.

A socket set, cordless drill and drill bits, separator plate gaskets and something to remove the "very little" steel burr from the holes drilled is about all you would need. Taking your time, a j-mod can be done within 2 hours, including little breaks here and there. "first timer"

Like mentioned up above, Ford will laugh when you mention the j-mod but honestly, it's because they know nothing about it, just like other transmission shops. 99% are going to say "NO"

If you can't or don't wanna do it yourself, take it to (ONEBADMK8) or if the place Rich is talking about will do the drilling for you, go there because finding a shop to do it is rare. That's why most of us do our own, in the driveway or in the garage. No lift required for something like that.

Members online

No members online now.
Back