Going to be racing a Ko4'd GTI need help/tips

mlara1129

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Friendly race between my friend and I. It is still in the works, waiting until it gets nicer out. Anyway, its friendly but obviously i want to win lol

Dont know very detailed specs about my friend's GTi yet, other than its a 1.8t ko4d. I think he should be around 240 to the wheels. Will find out for sure.

My car: magnaflows, xcal tune(torrie), kkm intake.

I plan on using SST, so any tips about shifting, when should i be shifting? Any other tips?

Do you use SST often?

Im not as good as id like to be using it so i just leave it in D4, take the traction off and floor it.

With those mods you should be pushing around 240 as well. If you have a system in the trunk you could pull it out for some weight reduction but it might not make much of a difference.

Other than that he may pull off the line harder but when the V8 torque kicks in you should pass him.

If you can get him to race from a roll even better as the LS hesitates a bit off the line but pulls hard when its already rolling.

Well your winter tires won't help the cause, but those CDC wheels would.

If using sst, you're going to have to shift about 500 rpm in advance to make up for the delay. So if you want the car to shift at 6500 rpm, you'll have to hit the shifter at 6000.

What does a gti weigh?

Do you use SST often?

Im not as good as id like to be using it so i just leave it in D4, take the traction off and floor

I do use it often, i dont race often tho, other than the occasional launch when the light turns green.

And no, no system. Only weight in the back is the spare...and the battery of course

Def looks like a pretty even race on paper, but well see

Well your winter tires won't help the cause, but those CDC wheels would.

Yea both cdc and senta wheels should be gone by then. Ill have gen I 5 spoke stockers with all season cooper tires.

If using sst, you're going to have to shift about 500 rpm in advance to make up for the delay. So if you want the car to shift at 6500 rpm, you'll have to hit the shifter at 6000.

What does a gti weigh?

So i Should be shifting around 6500? Mayb 6 to account for the lag.

Not completely sure on the GTI's weight, def less than the LS lol

What year is his gti? I think you may be in for a surprise. Even if you have the same or a few more HP he is a lot lighter and most likely manual trans so he's going to beat you off the line. But that also depends on how well he knows his car and if he knows how hard to launch it. I think if you can catch up and/or pass in 2nd then you might get him. :)

Thats why i said if they could race from a roll it would be easier to win.

The LS is heavy and slow off the line...quick for what it is but its still a 14 sec vehicle.

SST will not gain you anything, just mash the gas and let the transmission do what it is designed to do. The best thing you can do is practice launching...and prepare yourself for losing if he knows how to drive.

SST will not gain you anything, just mash the gas and let the transmission do what it is designed to do. The best thing you can do is practice launching...and prepare yourself for losing if he knows how to drive.

x10

Take off the Traction control (it's ok if you get a little tire spin), put in Drive and punch it.

Good luck.

Let us know how bad you get beat.

why you say that??

Both vehicles are pushing about the same power to the wheels.

Only thing is the Gti is lighter....just over 3000lbs.

The Gti must be modded though because 240 isnt stock.

Weight is a significant factor. The LS being basically 20% heavier doesn't help him. Nor would his friend having an actual manual transmission and knowing how to use it

why you say that??

Both vehicles are pushing about the same power to the wheels.

Only thing is the Gti is lighter....just over 3000lbs.

The Gti must be modded though because 240 isnt stock.

Almost 1000lbs of difference is worth almost a full second in the quarter mile.

He said the GTI has a turbo (K04), so not stock.

Stock GTI is turbo....they just dont push 240 to the wheels. theres some stock runs on the tube and they only run about 170hp with stock turbo.

Right, poorly worded as I was bouncing between meetings. I was getting at what you pointed out; if it is a K04 1.8, it is not stock w/ 240HP.

Looking on Dragtimes, GTI's with about 240 HP are running 13.8s to 14s, so..... get a bottle.

x10

Take off the Traction control (it's ok if you get a little tire spin), put in Drive and punch it.

Good luck.

Learn how to power-brake it without doing a one-wheel-peel special. In mine that's around 2K-rpm and then rolling into the throttle slightly before (very slightly) you come off the brake. If I just mash it from launch I will get one-wheel burning up until it is moving fast enough to hook. Funny part is the first time you try it you feel the ass end squat what feels like 4 inches, LOL. If you had a trac-loc then it wouldn't be a problem. :)

And I don't find the SST to make a damn bit of different in a straight-line drag personally. If anything it's faster cause I don't shift late trying to guess the lag and bounce off the rev limiter. I mostly find it useful on a road-course or auto-x so you can keep the revs up enough (converter locked) and have some engine braking. For me, that seems like about 3K in case anyone was wondering.

thanks for the input guys

again its just a friendly, no need for a bottle lol

and my friend's car is an 02 MKIV GTI, sorry i forgot to mention. Its not an MKV.
He hasn't dynoed it, but he thinks he should be around 230 based on others with similar set ups. And yea def not stock lol stock MkIVs came with Ko3s pushing maybe 180 at the crank for later models and 150 for earlier ones.

anyways, i thought i would have a better shot, but i guess not.

We'll see how i do, ill post the video once it happens.

Good luck ! I have a friend that swears his Honda S2000 w no mods will smoke my LS. I never took him up on that challenge cause 1, he's tarded, 2 I love my car too much and didn't want something to go wrong on it ! The LS is a bad as$ ride but she's a delicate flower also!

I have a friend that swears his Honda S2000 w no mods will smoke my LS. I never took him up on that challenge

well that probably a good thing, since the car (a) has almost the same horse power as the LS with half the motor and (230-240hp out of a 2 liter)(b) weighs a full 1000 lbs less. unless you car can runs a real low 14, your not going to take him.

Members online

Back