God v Atheism

Just callin 'em like I see 'em. Can't do much more then that right now, as I am doped up on pain killers (insert Rush Limbaugh joke here). I had my tonsils and adnoids removed on Wensday.

One thing that did stand out in one of those articles is the ubsurd claim that that the bible doesn't understand human phsychology. Human phsychology, in the broad sense (defined as human nature) is best explained by the bible.; Human nature is inherently selfish. While many people, philosophers and ideologies have tried to say otherwise, all they are doin is simply substituting the definition they want in place of the truth. The biblical definition of human nature has been proven throughout history again and again. Every other definition (without exception) has been disproven.

shag, the bible elevates man to special.

1:26 God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the sky, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."

so man is made in gods image. none of the animals are. man. and he is given dominion over all. sounds a little special to me. as i said, without god, man is just another animal.

04's first article wasn't bashing. it was merely a statement from an atheist explaining his ideal and what he isn't by being athiest. and the second wasn't bashing either. it was what this person gets from reading the bible. it doesn't make sense in the authors eyes. (mine either) and one other thing. who is god talking to in the above quote. "let US make man in OUR image". so there is more than one god?

shag, the bible elevates man to special.

1:26 God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the sky, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."

so man is made in gods image. none of the animals are. man. and he is given dominion over all. sounds a little special to me. as i said, without god, man is just another animal.

04's first article wasn't bashing. it was merely a statement from an atheist explaining his ideal and what he isn't by being athiest. and the second wasn't bashing either. it was what this person gets from reading the bible. it doesn't make sense in the authors eyes. (mine either) and one other thing. who is god talking to in the above quote. "let US make man in OUR image". so there is more than one god?

Yes, according to scriture God made man in his own image. God also gave man dominion over the earth. Even without God, this is generally held true. Man is at the top of the food chain, ect...
We aren't "just another creature", we are the peak of creation (or evolution, whatever you believe); that is something that is accepted beyond the bible, and religion. You are trying to spin scritpture in a way that no one much more qualified than you (theologians, biblical scholoars, christians; basically people who actually study it, and don't try to distort it) does. I will differ to there wisdom and intellectual honesty over yours in this matter.:)
You are trying to spin that christianity is a means to elevate humans beyond their nature. That isn't the case. The scripture you are citing is giving a reason for humans being the dominant creatures on this planet.
For what you say to be true, belief in God would boost ones ego and make one arrogant. While many (I would say the majority) of pastors have an enflated ego and are rather arrogant, it isn't for the reasons you cite. christians generally arrogant but humble. Belief in God is a belief that humbles someone when he realizes there is someone (God) and something (God's plan) greater than him (which is against human nature;selfishness). That is ultimately the test between what you are asserting, and what I am. Are Christians mostly humble and generous, or are the self absorbed? If you find them mostly self absorbed, then you don't know many christian. History alone proves my interpretation here out. Look at all the charities that christians do.

You apply this same test to athiesm, and it stands as what as the opposite. It is inherently self serving (replace God with man, thus making man into his own god). This leads to a affirmation of human nature (instead of changing it, like Christianity strives to do); re-enforcing the selfishness of man. The whole idea of athiesm is to try and intellectually disprove God, an arrogant asumption. as has been shown in this discussion earlier, God cannot be proven or disproven, but athiests assume they are smart enough that to so, even without enough evidence either way. By extension, they insultingly view christians as people who are stupid to not see the world and God as they do.

This whole intellectual attack on christianity, ironically, misses the whole point of christianity entirely; faith. Name one Christian who came to his beliefs on an intellectual basis, you can't. But athiests view faith as an intellectual weakness, which is inherently offensive and arrogant.

Atheists put their faith in backlash of politics
By Julia Duin
December 24, 2007

Not since the April 8, 1966, famous "Is God dead?" cover of Time magazine has atheism been the topic du jour.

"Atheism has come into vogue in cycles pretty reliably for the past 300 years," said Nick Gillespie, editor of Reason, a libertarian magazine. "These days, at least you won't get burned at the stake, and you might get a New York Times' best-seller."

A flood of post-September 11 books on the topic have done quite well. Among them are "Breaking the Spell" by Daniel Dennett, Michael Shermer's "Why Darwin Matters," Michel Onfray's "Atheist Manifesto," Sam Harris' "The End of Faith," Ibn Warraq's "Leaving Islam," biologist Richard Dawkins' "The God Delusion," and journalist and critic Christopher Hitchens' "God is Not Great."

Reasons for the surge range from a backlash against radical Islam to a general unhappiness with the Bush administration.

"The rise of militant Islam revived questions as to where does faith lead people?" Mr. Gillespie said. "It all proceeds from September 11, which in many profound ways was a religious act."

Plus, he added, the current administration has given religion-friendly policies a bad name.

"To the extent that this administration has been seen as a complete failure," he said, "on the right, you'll see a reach for a new kind of conservatism. It will have more in common with atheism that says religion should not be part of politics."

According to the American Religious Identification Survey, conducted by the Graduate Center of the City University of New York, the share of American adults who do not subscribe to any religion increased from 8 percent in 1990 to more than 14 percent — about 30 million people — in 2001.

Forty-three percent of Americans don't attend church," said Paul Kurtz, founder and chairman of the Amherst, N.Y.-based Center for Inquiry. "A lot of people realize they don't believe in religion, and they don't want the state to meddle in private belief. They're looking to literature, ethics or philosophy to get guidance."

His group has established 11 "inquiry centers" — the skeptic's answer to a church building — including one on Pennsylvania Avenue. Nine more for what he called "the unchurched, the untempled, the unmosqued" are planned in the next two years. The circulation of "Free Inquiry," the group's magazine, has grown 30 percent in the past two years to reach 35,000.

"We're peeling back the burqa on unbelief," said Nathan Bupp, Inquiry spokesman.

Other cultural indicators include a March revelation by Rep. Pete Stark, an 18-term California Democrat, that he is an atheist. He is the first known congressman to do so.

Earlier this month, a movie for the unbelieving set premiered, albeit to mixed reviews. "The Golden Compass," a sanitized version of the book by Philip Pullman, glorifies the virtues of atheism and the evils of Christianity.

And the Altadena, Calif.-based Skeptics Society will observe tomorrow as Newtonmass, the 365th birthday of Isaac Newton.

Fred Edwords, a spokesman for the American Humanist Association, says nonbelievers are pouring out of the closet.

"Conferences and events put on by various humanist and free-thought organizations have been bursting at the seams with attendance," he said. "We had 1,000 people at a gathering put on earlier this year by our Harvard chapter. Usually we get a few hundred."

The Harvard gathering, which featured novelist Salman Rushdie, ironically ended up in the campus chapel.

"It was the biggest hall we could get," Mr. Edwords explained.

He cites the Bush administration for the atheist surge.

"You see their favoritism toward conservative religion," he said, "and the influence religion has had on foreign policy, and I think a lot of atheists said, 'We're fed up.' "

Here's what I got:
Libertarians believe that athiesm is on the rise, and want to say it's because of Bush, in a smear attempt to prove him a failure.
His, failure is purely a matter of perception, as no proof is given in the article, as is no proof that athiesm is on the rise.

Something to note; Libertarianism (at it's worst) is to politics what athiesm is to religion. Both are purely self serving; whatever makes me happy is right.

"free-thought organizations"?! That is a joke. Free thought, except what we don't want you to think.

Perception is reality. We welcome that we agree with and dismiss that we do not.

You say there's no proof atheism is on the rise and will undoubtedly dismiss this 2001 survey out of hand for some reason or another.

Many people are fed up with the Bush administration and some are even embarassed and ashamed that such a man is president.

Are there enough of these people to vote the Republicans out of office?

I hope so but that remains to be seen and we're likely to see the dirtiest, nastiest most underhanded election yet.

Let the games begin.

http://www.gc.cuny.edu/faculty/research_briefs/aris.pdf

KEY FINDINGS
1. Religious Identification Among American Adults
The first area of inquiry in ARIS 2001 concerns the response of American adults to the
question: “What is your religion, if any?” This question generated more than a hundred
different categories of response, which we classified into the sixty-five categories shown
in Exhibit 1 below.
In 1990, ninety percent of the adult population identified with one or another religion
group. In 2001, such identification has dropped to eighty-one percent.
Where possible, every effort was made to re-create the categories respondents offered to
the nearly identical question as in the NSRI 1990 survey.5
As is readily apparent from the first Exhibit below, the major changes between the results
of the 1990 survey and the current survey are:
a. the proportion of the population that can be classified as Christian has
declined from eighty-six in 1990 to seventy-seven percent in 2001;
b. although the number of adults who classify themselves in non-
Christian religious groups has increased from about 5.8 million to
about 7.7 million, the proportion of non-Christians has increased only
by a very small amount – from 3.3 % to about 3.7 %;
c. the GREATEST increase in absolute as well as in percentage terms has
been among those ADULTS WHO DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO ANY RELIGIOUS
IDENTIFICATION; their number has more than doubled from 14.3 million

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_prac2.htm

Polling data from the 2001 ARIS study, described below, indicate that:

81% of American adults identify themselves with a specific religion: 76.5% (159 million) of Americans identify themselves as Christian. This is a major slide from 86.2% in 1990. Identification with Christianity has suffered a loss of 9.7 percentage points in 11 years -- about 0.9 percentage points per year. This decline is identical to that observed in Canada between 1981 and 2001. If this trend has continued, then: at the present time (2007-MAY), only 71% of American adults consider themselves Christians
The percentage will dip below 70% in 2008
By about the year 2042, non-Christians will outnumber the Christians in the U.S

Perception is reality.
In politics and the uninformed

We welcome that we agree with and dismiss that we do not
Not all of us, and no all the time

You say there's no proof atheism is on the rise
...in the article you sumitted in your last response.
Context.

... [you] will undoubtedly dismiss this 2001 survey out of hand for some reason or another.
Not out of hand. If I don't agree with it, I will be very critical and look to see if it is accruate or not in it's methodology and conclusions. But I wouldn't neccessarily dismiss it out of hand, unless it is conducted by someone, or some organization that has the credibility of Michael Moore, Moveon.org, Media Matters, or some other.

Many people are fed up with the Bush administration and some are even embarassed and ashamed that such a man is president.
Yes, but I have yet to hear a legitimate, well informed reason for such a harsh few.

Are there enough of these people to vote the Republicans out of office?
The question is, "are there enough 'likely voters' that are willing to do so. Likely votes are usually better informed then unlikely voters, and given the only possiblity being Democrats, there are probably not enough likely voters foolish enough to vote the republicans out, this time around. No way to know until the election

KEY FINDINGS
1. Religious Identification Among American Adults
The first area of inquiry in ARIS 2001 concerns the response of American adults to the
question: “What is your religion, if any?” This question generated more than a hundred
different categories of response, which we classified into the sixty-five categories shown
in Exhibit 1 below.
In 1990, ninety percent of the adult population identified with one or another religion
group. In 2001, such identification has dropped to eighty-one percent.
Where possible, every effort was made to re-create the categories respondents offered to
the nearly identical question as in the NSRI 1990 survey.5
As is readily apparent from the first Exhibit below, the major changes between the results
of the 1990 survey and the current survey are:
a. the proportion of the population that can be classified as Christian has
declined from eighty-six in 1990 to seventy-seven percent in 2001;
b. although the number of adults who classify themselves in non-
Christian religious groups has increased from about 5.8 million to
about 7.7 million, the proportion of non-Christians has increased only
by a very small amount – from 3.3 % to about 3.7 %;
c. the GREATEST increase in absolute as well as in percentage terms has
been among those ADULTS WHO DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO ANY RELIGIOUS
IDENTIFICATION; their number has more than doubled from 14.3 million

Finally, some proof has been provided.

Here are my questions:

Are apples to apples bein compared here?
Are consistent methods used for obtaining the data, and interpreting that data?​

What is the bigger picture of data, and what does it suggest?
I could very easily pull out numbers from the great depression and the depression in the early ninties and claim that we have been in a depression most of this century. Two points in the data, don't show a trend, or a reaction, or anything. The whole picture is needed.​

81% of American adults identify themselves with a specific religion: 76.5% (159 million) of Americans identify themselves as Christian. This is a major slide from 86.2% in 1990. Identification with Christianity has suffered a loss of 9.7 percentage points in 11 years -- about 0.9 percentage points per year. This decline is identical to that observed in Canada between 1981 and 2001. If this trend has continued, then: at the present time (2007-MAY), only 71% of American adults consider themselves Christians
The percentage will dip below 70% in 2008
By about the year 2042, non-Christians will outnumber the Christians in the U.S

Same questions as above, but one added point about That last line:

"By 242 non-Christians will outnumber Christians in the U.S."

There is no way to know that except through mathematical models; computer projections. Those have proven to be highly innaccurate. Malthus is probably the best example, but all the claims of doom and in the environmental debate whos time has come and passed without said disaster, further prove it. The flaw is spelled out in the phrase "if this trend has continued" (interesting wording too, has continued?). They are making these predicitons on a very large assumption, which we have no indication is going to remain constant.

Neither of these reports have tied the findings back to Bush, as far as I can tell. Which means that claim is purely projection, and wishful thinking on the sources part.

Yes it says "If this trend is continued"

Also Posen Foundation which funded a good part of this study is a secular Jewish organisation however that alone should not be enough cause to discredit it's findings.

Jews due to their history know religious and ethnic persecution and demagogery better than most.

Please feel free to tear the findings apart and/or find other comprehensive surveys that refute the findings.

METHODOLOGY4
The American Religious Identification Survey (ARIS) 2001 was based on a random
digit-dialed telephone survey of 50,281 American residential households in the
continental U.S.A (48 states). The methodology largely replicates the widely reported and
pioneering 1990 National Survey of Religious Identification (NSRI) carried out at the
Graduate Center of the City University of New York. ARIS 2001 thus provides a unique
time series of information concerning the religious identification choices of American
adults.
The data were collected over a 17-week period, from February to June 2001 at the rate of
about 3,000 completed interviews a week by ICR/CENTRIS Survey Research Group of
Media, PA as part of their national telephone omnibus market research
(EXCEL/ACCESS) surveys. The primary question of the interview was: What is your
religion, if any? The religion of the spouse/partner was also asked. If the initial answer
was ‘Protestant’ or ‘Christian’ further questions were asked to probe which particular
denomination.

the election in 1976 of President Jimmy Carter, a self-avowed Born Again Christian,
America has been through a period of great religious re-awakening. In sharp contrast to
that widely held perception, the present survey has detected a wide and possibly growing
swath of secularism among Americans. The magnitude and role of this large secular
segment of the American population is frequently ignored by scholars and politicians
alike.
However, the pattern emerging from the present study is completely consistent with
similar secularizing trends in other Western, democratic societies.3 For example, Andrew
Greeley has found that England is considerably less religious than the USA. He also
notes similarly high levels of secularism in “most countries of the European continent
west of Poland.”
METHODOLOGY4
The American Religious Identification Survey (ARIS) 2001 was based on a random
digit-dialed telephone survey of 50,281 American residential households in the
continental U.S.A (48 states). The methodology largely replicates the widely reported and
pioneering 1990 National Survey of Religious Identification (NSRI) carried out at the
Graduate Center of the City University of New York. ARIS 2001 thus provides a unique
time series of information concerning the religious identification choices of American
adults.
The data were collected over a 17-week period, from February to June 2001 at the rate of
about 3,000 completed interviews a week by ICR/CENTRIS Survey Research Group of
Media, PA as part of their national telephone omnibus market research
(EXCEL/ACCESS) surveys. The primary question of the interview was: What is your
religion, if any? The religion of the spouse/partner was also asked. If the initial answer
was ‘Protestant’ or ‘Christian’ further questions were asked to probe which particular
denomination.
3 For an interesting comparison, see Andrew Greeley, “Religion in Britain, Ireland and the USA,” in Roger
Jowell et al, ed., British Social Attitudes: The 9th Report (Dartmouth Publishing Co., Aldershot, England,
1992).
4 For a more detailed discussion of the survey methodology, please see Appendix 1.
AMERICAN RELIGIOUS IDENTIFICATION SURVEY, 2001
THE GRADUATE CENTER OF THE CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK
INNOVATIONS
BETWEEN NSRI 1990 AND ARIS 2001
The NSRI 1990 study was a very large survey in which 113,723 persons were questioned
about their religious preferences. However, it provided for no further detailed questioning
of respondents regarding their religious beliefs or involvement or the religious
composition of their household.
In the light of those lacunae in the 1990 survey, ARIS 2001 took steps to enhance both
the range and the depth of the topics covered. For example, new questions were
introduced concerning the religious identification of spouses. To be sure, budget
limitations, have necessitated a reduction in the number of respondents. The current
survey still covers a very large national sample (over 50,000 respondents) that provides a
high level of confidence for the results and adequate coverage of most religious groups
and key geographical units such as states and major metropolitan areas.
For the sake of analytic depth, additional questions about religious beliefs and affiliation
as well as religious change were introduced for a smaller representative sub-sample of
(17,000) households. Even this sample is about ten times greater than most typical
opinion surveys of the US population. This sub-sample as well as the larger sample were
weighted to reflect the total U.S. adult population
These innovations have provided a much richer data set that goes far beyond the mere
question of religious preference. The new data allow for a much more sophisticated
analysis than NSRI 1990. They offer a more nuanced understanding of the complex
dynamics of religion in contemporary American society and especially how religious
adherence relates to countervailing secularizing trends. The information collected is also
potentially much more useful for the various national religious bodies.

Sorry for the double posting above.

All this data is essentially pre Bush as he was only in office 4 months by the time the survey was completed and totally pre 9/11 which essentially was made possible by belief in (Islamic) religion and rewards in the afterlife.

i don't understand your reasoning shag, other than it comes from a scriptural perspective. being specially created above all else, and given dominion is quite different than ascending to the top by means of a capability above others. i didn't say an arrogance in humanity, but one from a perspective of the animal kingdom. you fail to see that man IS just another creature. as you can see from this view, removing god does not raise man to god. quite the opposite. it brings him back to a larger world view where everything has an importance. and intellectually disproving god isn't hard. there are many things that can't be DISPROVEN, but i don't think you believe in them either. to be able to disprove something requires proof to the contrary. but when there is no proof to back up the first side of the arguement, then the subject is a myth. people can believe all they like, but it doesn't make it any more real. and believers will not realize this, but then that is not my problem or concern.

and no offence decibels5, pascals wager has been gone through before. a non believer is a non believer. it might work for undecideds, but i'm quite sure of my conviction, as much as believers are of thiers. it's a non arguement.

oh,and, merry christmas. it's almost that time for santa.

and shag, if i remember correct, you stated liking sci-fi. a little quote i came across for you.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.

—Isaac Asimov

Forgot all about this thread. It was fun!

You realize, there is no such thing as evolution, just creatures that Chuck Norris allows to live. :)

try that google trick yet? go to google .com, type in "find chuck norris", press i'm feeling lucky.

Chuck Norris wasn't born. God created him out of rolled tungsten and breathed life into him.

Chuck Norris wasn't born. God created him out of rolled tungsten and breathed life into him.

That's pretty good.

"Chuck Norris lost his virginity before his father did."

a little history for fossten, from gale encyclopedia of religion. 2nd edition, vol.9

MOSES (c. thirteenth century BCE, but date uncertain),
or, in Hebrew, Mosheh, was the leader of the Hebrews in
the Exodus from Egypt and giver of the Law at Sinai. Tradition
regards Moses as the founder of Israel’s religion—the
mediator of its covenant with God (Yahveh) and its cultic
institutions.
HISTORICITY OF MOSES. Any discussion about the historicity
of Moses is entirely dependent upon an evaluation of the
biblical account of his life and activity. There are no extant
records from Egypt that make any reference to him or to the
Exodus. Yet most scholars believe that a person named
Moses existed and had a connection with the events of the
Exodus and the wilderness journey as described in the four
biblical books from Exodus to Deuteronomy. But there is little
agreement about how much can be known about Moses or
what role he played in the events, because the biblical accounts
have been modified and embellished,
and Moses’
place in some of the traditions may be secondary.
The one point that seems to argue for regarding Moses
as historical is his Egyptian name. An explanation of the
name Moses that few would dispute is that it derives from the
Egyptian verb msy (“to give birth”), a very common element
in Egyptian names. This verb is usually combined with the
name of a god (e.g., Re, as in Remesses, i.e., Ramses), and the
shortened form, Moses, is in the nature of a nickname. But
whether in the long or short form, the name is common in
Egypt from the mid-second millennium onward. None of
the persons in Egyptian historical records bearing the name
Moses can justifiably be identified with the biblical Moses,
and to do so is quite arbitrary. The only argument for historicity
to be derived from Moses’ Egyptian name is its appropriateness
to the background of Israel’s sojourn in Egypt.
Other examples of Egyptian names occur among the Israelites,
particularly within the ranks of the priests and Levites.
Such names may have survived in Canaan at sanctuaries and
urban centers from the time of Egyptian control of the region
in the Late Bronze Age.
A name by itself, however appropriate to the time and
events described, does not make a historical personality. The
various elements of the Exodus story do not correspond with
known Egyptian history
, and historians have usually set
about reconstructing the events to make a better fit between
the Bible and contemporary records. For instance, the presence
of numerous Asiatic slaves in Egypt during the eighteenth
and nineteenth dynasties (1550–1200 BCE) was not
the result of an enslavement, out of fear and hatred, of a specific
people already resident in Egypt, as pictured in Exodus.
Slaves were brought into Egypt in large numbers as prisoners
of war from many different peoples and social classes and
were dispersed throughout Egypt to serve in many different
capacities. Many Asiatics became free persons within Egyptian
society and were found at various levels of rank and status.
The nineteenth dynasty in particular was one of great
assimilation of Asiatic religion and culture in Egypt. Furthermore,
while bedouin were allowed certain grazing rights in
the eastern Delta, there is no suggestion that they were enslaved
or made to do menial labor. Nothing in the Egyptian
records suggests any acts of genocide or any distinct group
of state slaves resident in the eastern Delta.
None of the pharaohs in Exodus is named, but the reference
in Exodus 1:11 to the Israelites’ building the store cities
of Pithom and Ramses is enough evidence for many to date
the events to the nineteenth dynasty. Yet Pithom (Tell el-
Maskhuta), in the Wadi Tumilat, was not built until the end
of the seventh century BCE, and the reference to Ramses and
the “land of Ramses” hardly suggests the royal residence. The
name Goshen, as the region where the Israelites were said to
reside, is known only from the latest geographic texts. The
few specific names and details, therefore, do not point to a
particular period of Egyptian history, and scholars differ on
the dating and background of the Exodus precisely because
so many details must be radically redrawn to make any connection
possible. The quest for the historical Moses is a futile
exercise. He now belongs only to legend.
LITERARY TRADITION. The traditions about Moses are contained
in the Pentateuch from Exodus to Deuteronomy, and
all other biblical references to Moses are probably dependent
upon these. The view of most critical scholars for the past
century has been that the Pentateuch’s presentation of Moses
is not the result of a single author but the combination of
at least four sources, known as the Yahvist (J), the Elohist
(E), Deuteronomy (D), and the Priestly writer (P), and composed
in that order. The existence of E as a separate work
from J has long been disputed; at best it is very fragmentary.
It is best to treat J and E as a single corpus, JE, as will be
done below. The usual dating for these sources places them
in a range from the tenth to the fifth century BCE, although
there is a strong tendency, which the author of this article
supports, to view D (from the seventh century) as the earliest
work, JE (from the sixth century) as exilic, and P (from the
fifth century) as postexilic. This would account for the fact
that so little is made of the Moses tradition outside of the
Pentateuch.
Whether one adopts the older scheme or the later date
for the Pentateuchal sources, a long period of time separates
any historical figure from the written presentation of Moses
in the Bible. To bridge this gap one is faced with evaluating
the diversity of traditions within the Moses legend and with
tracing their history of transmission prior to their use by the
later authors, as well as with considering the shape and color
the authors themselves gave to the Moses tradition as a reflection
of their own times and concerns. The history of the preliterary
tradition has occupied a lot of attention but with few convincing results because it is so difficult to control any reconstruction
of the various stages of oral tradition. One is
therefore left with an examination of the traditions about
Moses in their present literary forms within the larger context
of the Hebrew scriptures.
Moses as deliverer from Egypt. The general background
for the deliverance of the people through Moses is
the theme of the oppression and enslavement in Egypt. This
theme of Israel’s oppression is often mentioned elsewhere in
the Hebrew scriptures as the condition of the people from
which God “redeemed” them, often without any reference
to Moses (note, e.g., Ez. 20). The Pentateuch continues to
stress God as deliverer but now makes Moses the human
agent.
Within the tradition of enslavement the JE writer introduces
a special theme of attempted genocide (Ex. 1:8–22),
which provides the context for the story of Moses’ birth and
his rescue from the Nile by the Egyptian princess (Ex. 2:1–
10). But once this story is told, the theme of genocide disappears,
and the issue becomes again that of enslavement and
hard labor. The story of Moses as a threatened child rescued
from the basket of reeds and reared under the very nose of
Pharaoh to become the deliverer of his people corresponds
to a very common folkloric motif of antiquity. Similar stories
were told about Sargon of Akkad and Cyrus the Persian.

blah blah blah...
Just because you can necro a thread and copy/paste doesn't make you a scholar. And your source is suspect because it was written by men, who are fallible. Therefore, it is untrustworthy. Furthermore, none of the men who wrote that encyclopedia witnessed the events which they describe. Therefore, they could very well be describing fairy tales for all the believability said tales convey. For them to try and prove events to be true which they did not witness is to use circular reasoning, and is not credible. Note that this is the same logic you use to try and deny the truth of the Bible.

Members online

Back