Glove compartment removal...

rzawora

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone... I'm trying to remove the glove box in my '02 Lincoln LS. I have the 5-disc in dash so the glove compartment is empty, other then the VALET button. There are 5 screws that I can see to remove the black velvet/plastic of the "liner" to the glove compartment. I can't seem to get the door to open enough to get a screw driver on them. I attempt to remove the plastic sliders that hold the glove box door from falling but have had no success. I can see that there is a piece attached to the left hand slider which has a string and runs to a plunger...the piece that stops it from falling open. There's nothing attached to the right hand slider, and it appears it would come right out if I could get the other one to go. Does anyone know how to remove this string, or am I doing this all wrong? How are you supposed to take out the glove box? Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks,
Rick

you have to disconnect the 'limit string' from the left hand slider. I undo the top screws from the liner and it gives me enough room to get in there and 'pop' it off the hook on the end of the slider.

i took out my glove compartment and my disc changer, and mounted a PS2 with 2 wireless controllers... pretty hott

Quik LS said:
you have to disconnect the 'limit string' from the left hand slider. I undo the top screws from the liner and it gives me enough room to get in there and 'pop' it off the hook on the end of the slider.

I see what you mean...by prying apart the black liner with the two top screws out you are saying you reached in and un-hooked it from the left hand slider. I did see this as a possible option and did try it last night, still wasn't able to reach it. I did also try to reach straight back and un-hook it from the white plastic plunger but couldn't reach that either. It must be like 12-14" back and definetely not enough room for my arm to get in there. Secondly, if I did get it off...what's the trick to putting it back on? Again just looking for anyone with information on removing the glove box lining, specifically how to get the left hand slider out.

Thanks,
Rick :L

removing the glove compartment was easy... you gotta remove all the screws on the piece that folds down if you wanna make it easy on yourself, after you do that the black piece is not connected to the piece that folds down anymore, and from there you can unhook the string and just let it go back behind the compartment (you can get to it later) then just unscrew the screws on the compartment... i did this in order to take out my disc changer and put my ps2 inside of it instead... really pretty easy, i just like taking things apart tho lol... let me kno if you need anymore help... my email is lenndel@yahoo.com... maybe i can send you sum pics so you can understand wut im talkin about better

IMG_20191102_113546932.jpg

Thought I'd add some pictures to this old post. This is the end of the string that limits the opening of the compartment.
Below is the keyway it fits into. Pull forward then remove sideways.

IMG_20191102_113537265.jpg

Members online

Back