Glass removal?

Speed Demon

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So............How hard is it to remove that rear glass without cutting up the gasket? I know most windows you can pull a wire around to remove them. Can you cut it out from the inside or what? Found a nice rear glass and want to remove it myself. Otherwise I'm cutting that d*%m gasket off this weekend.

It's a bitch plain and simple... I've tried twice and failed...

Jamie can do it, he has the skills though... he said it take like 2-3 hours though!

You need one of these> Long Blade

Also you will need something to heat the urethane up, if it is cold where you are you might as well forget about it...

So do you access it from the inside and just cut around? What about the gasket? When you say fail does that mean you cut the gasket or broke the window? Is the front any easier?

I tried at a Junkyard, I had no idea what I was doing. Shattered the glass instantly with little effort with a screw driver trying to get the gasket to shove.

You need a long and short cold knife. I used to do glass. Its not a gasket. Its called urethane. Yes, you must cut the original bonding urethane but you should probably tape as much of the body off as you can to avoid scraping the paint.

You need a long and short cold knife. I used to do glass. Its not a gasket. Its called urethane. Yes, you must cut the original bonding urethane but you should probably tape as much of the body off as you can to avoid scraping the paint.

Scrape the body???

You have to do all the cutting from the inside... and have to take out all the rear interior to do it.

As far as my fails, I broke one and cut myself doing one...

When you cut the urethane on the inside the whole window comes out with the gasket still attached... and Abe, you really had no clue huh :eek:

You can't remove the gasket from the window.

When you cut the urethane on the inside the whole window comes out with the gasket still attached... and Abe, you really had no clue huh :eek:

no clue, got a clue to get more insurance coverage so that I won't have to do it myself or come out of my pocket for broken glass on the mark.

Scrape the body???

You have to do all the cutting from the inside... and have to take out all the rear interior to do it.

As far as my fails, I broke one and cut myself doing one...

If we replaced it we would just cut the attached outer trim piece off with a razor and its much easier to do it. I think removing the rear int. is dumb... If you arent careless you can do it.

You obviously haven't tried to do a Mark... there is no way in :q:q:q:q you are getting a knife down into the channel to cut the urethane form the outside, seal or no seal.

The whole interior is removed and the body is getting chopped. I'd like to save the 75 to 125 I'd pay to have somebody else remove it if I could.

If we replaced it we would just cut the attached outer trim piece off with a razor and its much easier to do it. I think removing the rear int. is dumb... If you arent careless you can do it.

if you take a bad window out of a mark VIII, you can cut the gasket off and cut the window out from outside the car, if you are salvaging a mint window from a doner mark VIII there is no way on earth you can cut the window out from outside unless you rip off the mint gasket, and that would defeat the whole task. if you want to salvage a rear window from a mark VIII that has a nice outter rubber seal, you must cut it out from inside, and remove all the rear interior, you'll never cut the urethane in the cold unless you use a power glass saw with a long blade and sheath on it like a glass shop will have, but they range from $300 and up! i do it by hand with a long blade and box of brand new blades. you will break many blades doing it by hand.

if you take a bad window out of a mark VIII, you can cut the gasket off and cut the window out from outside the car, if you are salvaging a mint window from a doner mark VIII there is no way on earth you can cut the window out from outside unless you rip off the mint gasket, and that would defeat the whole task. if you want to salvage a rear window from a mark VIII that has a nice outter rubber seal, you must cut it out from inside, and remove all the rear interior, you'll never cut the urethane in the cold unless you use a power glass saw with a long blade and sheath on it like a glass shop will have, but they range from $300 and up! i do it by hand with a long blade and box of brand new blades. you will break many blades doing it by hand.

Thats kinda what I meant. We never saved any removed glass. Besides one from a gen2 but I wasnt the one who removed it.

I've never looked at our rear windows real close, but I've seen induction heaters used on other cars to remove rear and front windows very, very quickly... They are awesome for removing stuck nuts/bolts too... and pissing off people in the shop with earrings ;)

Members online

No members online now.
Back