Glare with HIDs

Alax7

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So we all know there is a lot of glare when you use HID kits on a halogen headlight. I've read people saying the HID headlights on the LS have a difference in the reflector. I just changed my HID bulbs yesterday and noticed the shield on the bulb. Well if the reflector is different in the HID headlights, you would think it was the one in charge of the cut off, so why does the D2R bulb have a shield on it. I was thinking that maybe the difference between the HID and halogen headlights is the bulbs they use since for the HID you need that wierd/special D2R holder for it,the D2R holder and D2R harness. So if the bulb has the shield and that shield is the one with the cut off and eliminates glare, all you need is a D2R bulb holder, dont know the name for it, and a D2R harness, not an actual factory hid headlight. I would try it out myself but I no longer have a set of halogen headlights.

Soon. I have a lot of things pending to install. Have my magnaflows, x-pipe, and tips boxed up in the garage until a have enough for new cats and the install of all of this. After that, the eyes are next. I have to install the new rotors and pads that finally came in last week

The reflector is different with HIDs as well.

The masking on the bulb is to prevent the unwanted light from tainting your beam so to speak. If the black was not there, the lights would have a yellow/green hue to them.

Projectors can get around this with optics.

Yeah, thats what I've read on here but I haven't came across what exactly is different about it.

If the black was not there, the lights would have a yellow/green hue to them.

I dont get what you're talking about here. What black?

Yeah projectors have great light output but they dont look that good, well atleast not on an ls. When you look at them it's just a 3-4 inch circle shining light in a big headlight. When you look at reflectors, you see a 4-6 inch circle shining light and fills in the headlight better. Thats why I decided to put projectors in the fogs and not the headlights, I like the large reflector bowls on the ls.

Well to add my .02, I had a set of Xetronic HID 4300K in my 02 LSE and the beam looked pretty much the same as it does on my 06 with OEM HIDs. The only real difference I could tell is looking head on at the factory HIDs the light output seems to have a little more shape to it. The light is not totally round like the shape if the head light bowl. It seems a little wider than it is tall. A picture would not show this but in the daytime or twilight it is apparent. I have seen the same thing on other LSes with HID.
But to the OP I didn't get any glare or beam problems with the Xetronic kit is was a clear bulb and we all know the gen 1 LS wasn't made with HIDs so the reflectors can't be the only factor. Although like you said the relector is different HID to halogen. HID is textured and halogen is smooth.

Yeah, thats what I've read on here but I haven't came across what exactly is different about it.

Why does this come up over and over. I have two LSes, one with HIDs, and one without. The reflectors are different. I've even posted pictures before.

You can kind of see the beam pattern here, again pictures don't really show it. Compared to the round HID (aftermarket) fogs the low beams (factory HID) have a wider shape. On my 02 the Xetronic kit put out a beam like the fogs, it was totally round. Honestly having both I like the wider pattern, seems like a little more character to the headlight!

miscphotos178.jpg

Why does this come up over and over. I have two LSes, one with HIDs, and one without. The reflectors are different. I've even posted pictures before.

yeah, but what is different

yeah, but what is different

The shape of the reflector. It has to compliment the way the light comes out of the HIDs, as opposed to the way the light comes out of the halogens. If you want to get into the exact optics of it and don't mind doing some math, Google for the details. The info is out there.

Well know that I know who made the thread I can look for it easier cause I couldn't find it. I know you've posted in a few threads saying the shields are different and getting a little annoyed, maybe. I was just trying to see if the shield on the D2R HID bulbs would help a lot with the glare and cut off if placed in a halogen headlight.

And lincoln leubbe, you can see the diff here, right is hid headlight, left is halogen

LsHIDS004.jpg

I know you've posted in a few threads saying the shields are different and getting a little annoyed, maybe. I was just trying to see if the shield on the D2R HID bulbs would help a lot with the glare and cut off if placed in a halogen headlight.

Not just the shield is different the reflector bowl is different as well. You an see this if looking at them side by side. The shield should make a difference, but might not be the best on a different bulb then the D2Rs they were designed for. And different aftermarket retrofit bulbs may not be the same either. I think it was Pete who was trying to make shield to control light output to prevent glare.

the reflectors are completely different in almost every way .. they are the same size i believe but the reflector is cut completely different. I would know trust me:eek:

Not just the shield is different the reflector bowl is different as well. You an see this if looking at them side by side. The shield should make a difference, but might not be the best on a different bulb then the D2Rs they were designed for. And different aftermarket retrofit bulbs may not be the same either. I think it was Pete who was trying to make shield to control light output to prevent glare.

Yeah he is, or was trying to make a shield for his hids.

Alax7 that grille would go great on my 06.
Sell it to me!

Yes it would, maybe in the near future, if my plans for dont work out I'll let it go.

the reflectors are completely different in almost every way .. they are the same size i believe but the reflector is cut completely different. I would know trust me:eek:

Ok, so is the shield on the D2R bulbs the one that has the cut off or the reflector? I would imagine the cut off came from the D2R bulb and if placed in a halogen headlight it would still have the cut off, maybe it wouldn't have the same light intensity and have a weird pattern of light thrown everywhere, but now with a cut off

Well to add my .02, I had a set of Xetronic HID 4300K in my 02 LSE and the beam looked pretty much the same as it does on my 06 with OEM HIDs. The only real difference I could tell is looking head on at the factory HIDs the light output seems to have a little more shape to it. The light is not totally round like the shape if the head light bowl. It seems a little wider than it is tall. A picture would not show this but in the daytime or twilight it is apparent. I have seen the same thing on other LSes with HID.
But to the OP I didn't get any glare or beam problems with the Xetronic kit is was a clear bulb and we all know the gen 1 LS wasn't made with HIDs so the reflectors can't be the only factor. Although like you said the relector is different HID to halogen. HID is textured and halogen is smooth.

Same here. I used the same Xetronic in my 2000. Aimed the same as the '06 HIDs and no glare. The light output is exceedingly better than the plain halogen. It doesn't have the abrupt cut-off that real HIDs have, but the light output is the same.

Members online

No members online now.
Back