getting rid of it..

Outrun

LVC Member
Reaction score
Well I think I'm going to be selling my LS, I got another check engine light and guess what it said... misfire in cylinders 5 and 7, great..... This isn't the first time either.. it happened with cylinder 2 in the past as well. So anyways after I get it fixed it's going up for sale. It was fun while it lasted but this car clearly doesn't like me driving it.

i agree...

i know this isnt the place to say it... but i really think LS's kinda suck yes its a good car but the bad outweighs the good on this one

R-BONES said:
i agree...

i know this isnt the place to say it... but i really think LS's kinda suck yes its a good car but the bad outweighs the good on this one

I don't think the '03 and newer LS's have these problems.

Mine is getting fixed right now as soon as i get it back its up for sale. Its a hot lookin car but always something wrong with it.

i have an 02 and cant speak on 03+ but as for 00-02 i wouldnt reccomend anyone buying one unless they really had time and money to throwaway i would have much rather went with something european...

I have ~135K miles on my 2000 and other than the solenoid pack (redesigned), coils at around 100K miles (normal to replace the coil after high miles) and the alternator, I haven't had to do much. I will have to replace the cam cover caskets at mu next plug change (~150K miles) , but I consider that normal for any car. Every high mile car I've owned (5 now) has needed the gaskets after 100K miles.

Lately I have been noticing that 03 and up LS are having the same exact problems as the 00-02s, same solinoid packs and coils, and they are also having problems with e-brake. So I think the only advantage (well except the power, interior, etc.) of 03 and ups reliability is that it's just newer and is gonna brake later.

HyeLifeLS said:
Lately I have been noticing that 03 and up LS are having the same exact problems as the 00-02s, same solinoid packs and coils, and they are also having problems with e-brake. So I think the only advantage (well except the power, interior, etc.) of 03 and ups reliability is that it's just newer and is gonna brake later.

I bought my 2000 LS with 62,000 Miles...have roughly 74,000 now and it runs strong. I think it may need a new coil, but other then that it runs really well. (Knock on wood) if it becomes more problems in the higher miles i'll probably sell it. but untill then. I love my LS!

PRIMETIMEsLS said:
I bought my 2000 LS with 62,000 Miles...have roughly 74,000 now and it runs strong. I think it may need a new coil, but other then that it runs really well. (Knock on wood) if it becomes more problems in the higher miles i'll probably sell it. but untill then. I love my LS!

same condition i am in. i may need a coil. i've driven my LS for 12 hours strait 4 different times and other fairly long rides as well. hope this continues

I fear I may be doing this, too

I've had my 2001 LS V8 Sport for about 7 months. Bought it with about 87,000 miles on it. We have put almost 13,000 miles on it since being bought. Mostly highway miles. It is an elegant vehicle to look at. Exudes class, style, and shows upward mobility. Looks like what I think a sports sedan should. I also love this forum. I don't post much, but read a whole lot. Score: looks- 10 / performance of engine 10 / how it makes me look and feel 10 / reliability 5.

I've had to replace:
1. Front driver side window regulator (definitely overpriced)
2. Front sway bar (definitely overpriced and way to difficult to do yourself. Only if I could have changed the d*mn bushing. But no, had to be the re-engineered sway bar.)
3. Engine coolant fill cap (the one on top of the v8 motor, not the reservoir bottle) I managed to crack it while putting it back on. This was part of the sway bar job. It cost 20 bucks to replace.

Getting ready to replace (doing this week):
3. Front Passenger wheel bearing. (you cant just buy the ******* bearings, it comes in a wheel bearing/hub assembly. Overpriced and under engineered.)
4. Front Passenger ball joint. (as I understand it, correct me if i'm wrong on any of this, you can't by just the ball joint. It comes part of the spindle assembly. (you guessed it, overpriced and under engineered).

Luckily I have lots of time and enough money and just enough tools to be content. So, any work done on the car has been done by me. Any future jobs will be done by me. I've never had to put out so much cash for a car that I paid with in cash.

Things that I did to the car that I now regret:
1. Angel Eyes -- look awesome, but can not exactly get the investment money back. Bought these off of e-bay.
2. Upgraded all headlight/fog bulbs to Sylvania Silver Star. The lows are the Silver Star Ultra. I modified the fogs to accept the 9006 bulb. These I can pull and replace if, no -- when, I sell the car.
3. Stereo-- sounds incredible. Liked the factory look so I kept the deck. Upgraded the front speakers to 6 inch Infinity Reference Components powered by factory radio. Rear door speakers were upgraded to 6x8 Kenwood 2-way. Added 6x9 Infinity Reference 3-way to the rear deck. The four Rear door/deck speakers receive power from a 400 watt MTX amp which is mounted under the rear deck in the trunk. A single 12 JL audio sub resides in the trunk powered by an MTX 300 watt amp run in bridge mode. It is mounted in the cubby hole on the rear right side of the trunk. I took my time and stripped the whole interior out except for the front seats and dash. All new wiring was run from the amps to speakers. Speaker lines were run through the factory rubber boots for the doors. All speaker connections were soldered. I absolutely loved that the battery, an Optima yellow top, is located in the trunk. Believe it or not, it took me about 5 days, working a few hours a day, to complete the project. One thing that slowed me down was cleaning every part of the car that I had pulled out. The Armor-all Orange wipes are fantastic. With enough elbow grease, it will make whatever part look brand new. I took my time and have a lot of pride in my work (and the car) to do it right.

So why do I regret these mods? Answer: LS + reliability = not so happy owner. I love the car but I do not think the car loves me. I know that my '96 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS loves me, even though she doesn't get much love from me since I'm always driving the LS. That little car is (knock on wood) a Stormtrooper in the reliablity department. Sorry to babble on with useless banter. Just trying to vent in a happy way.

cont:

4. Upgraded the rotors to cross drilled and slotted while I was doing the brake pads. Won't be able to recoup that money. They look sweet as hell, though.

I've had to replace:
4. Lug nuts. Pieces of sh*t. This slowed my rotor job to a halt. Replaced all of them with my old ones from the trusty old 96 Mitsubishi Eclipse gs. The fit-- better than Ford Factory.

5. Not a replacement but definitely a gripe-- Leaking trunk. I have fixed it, or so I thought. Need to go back and check all the seals, again.

Now you know why I buy new cars and then sell them before the problems start. :D

My sales rep here (he reports to me) just bought a used 2005 Audi A4. It has 32Kmiles on it. So far he has had the turbo replaced twice. He has other problems as well. At least it is under warranty.

So far my 03 has had the solenoids replaced (after 600 miles). The battery just died so I replaced it myself. No other problems yet and 40K miles on the ODO.

Kelleyo said:
Now you know why I buy new cars and then sell them before the problems start. :D

I've had very few problems with either my 03 or 06 cars, which I also bought new. Seems like the folks on this board have more problems than at LLSOC. I think its probably because the demographic here is younger with less money, and hence they purchase used LSes that inherently have (or will have) more problems.

also dont forget a lot of these LS's come off as Ford Fleet vehicles which are beat on all the time.

The 4 other LS's I looked at before I bought my 04 were rental cars.

Oh blah blah blah....whine whine whine. Sounds to like you all jumped into something you werent ready for. All cars have problems. Its the luck of the draw, you must be unlucky. I have considered Jaguar, BMW, Audi, but they are expensive to maintain. I think people who complain about their LS should have stuck with something more in their price range or atleast bought one still under warranty. Go sell your LS and buy a nice new Ford Focus, or better yet a Chevy Cobolt. Kids trying to buy above their means. You buy a used 5,6,7 yr old luxury car and complain about the expense, please. For every one of you who have stuff to complain about there are thousands of LS owners who love their car and dont have problems.

I second ToddG and Fla02LS!!! There are always a few bad apples out of the thousands of cars produced... Sucks, but that's reality.

I'm thankful everyday that mine isn't one of those flawed.. Don't get me wrong, it's aging and things go out, but I try to do as much preventative maintenance that I can.

Fla02LS said:
Oh blah blah blah....whine whine whine. Sounds to like you all jumped into something you werent ready for. All cars have problems. Its the luck of the draw, you must be unlucky. I have considered Jaguar, BMW, Audi, but they are expensive to maintain. I think people who complain about their LS should have stuck with something more in their price range or atleast bought one still under warranty. Go sell your LS and buy a nice new Ford Focus, or better yet a Chevy Cobolt. Kids trying to buy above their means. You buy a used 5,6,7 yr old luxury car and complain about the expense, please. For every one of you who have stuff to complain about there are thousands of LS owners who love their car and dont have problems.

haha youre a douche bag im sure i speak for 90% of the people here that dont really like you... i can afford to fix it eazy... matter of fact im buying an 05 range rover in a month... but the LS isnt reliable and i happened to have paid cash for it last year and its not a problem its the point that i want a car that isnt gonna leave me stuck somewhere... its not the cost as much as the reliability

ToddG said:
I've had very few problems with either my 03 or 06 cars, which I also bought new. Seems like the folks on this board have more problems than at LLSOC. I think its probably because the demographic here is younger with less money, and hence they purchase used LSes that inherently have (or will have) more problems.
Very well said. If i recall some of us here have been referred to as "pathetic old men". Well atleast we are old men who can afford what we drive. I had an '02 that i drove for 25k miles and had ZERO problems. I have a '05 now and its had some bad coils and recently a wheel sensor. Big deal, all fixed under warranty, my cost $0. I am sure the problems others experience have absolutely nothing to do with the way you drive your car either.

R-BONES said:
haha youre a douche bag im sure i speak for 90% of the people here that dont really like you... i can afford to fix it eazy... matter of fact im buying an 05 range rover in a month... but the LS isnt reliable and i happened to have paid cash for it last year and its not a problem its the point that i want a car that isnt gonna leave me stuck somewhere... its not the cost as much as the reliability
Wow, thats sucks cause i am here to be liked. I'll just be friends with 10% of the people here then i guess. I'd be friends with you, BUT your probably too busy doing your homework and all. Maybe go grab a beer, oh wait...not 21. Maybe enjoy a cigar....oh wait....not 18? Go buy your Range Rover in month, then you'll be a Big Baller then. I'm a douche bag, thats funny. No, whats really funny is your picture in your gallery. Didnt the B-Boy thing go out in the 80's/90's? You wouldnt by any chance be a backup dancer for a teeny pop band?

R-BONES said:

Dude, wake up! You're driving an 02 LS. Its a 5 year old car that's gonna have problems. Why is this unexpected?

it has more problems than most cars, and we burn that haze around here... wait u dont know about that cause u too busy suckin dlck ay? fu<k wit me homie...

R-bones.... Grow up... You converse like your a 12 year old kid...
In all seriousness, how old are you??
Cause we all know for a fact that 1) you probably didn't pay cash for you LS. 2) NO WAY IN HELL your buying a 05 Rover for cash.

Kinda hard talking all that smack if your living off your mommy or daddies dime or having them as a cosigner...

Just to reiterate, I'm not trying to start anything, but dude... "douche bag...poisioning cats...homie..."?????

You have no clue about what cars are more/less reliable than the LS...
IF YOU DID KNOW SOMETHING, then you would know that the LS has a Car&Driver rep for being a reliable, better than average track life of BEING less problematic than other car lines.

If your gonna talk smack, do it with your "homies" while your "posioning cats" somewhere else...

actually i did... and im 16... 17 in like 3 weeks... who are u to say i didnt... cause i can scan my recipt if u want... i paid 15,500 cash...

Members online

No members online now.
Back