Getting rid of egr on a 93 mark VII

hy35f2t

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Any side effects of getting rid of the egr on my mark VIII?I ask cuz when we took the trans out the egr tube gets in the way.

Preignition, pinging, engine knock at highway speeds, ect ect....if your system is designed to run with it, why would you run without it?

CEL. That is it. As long as it is all blocked off.

What i was going to do was weld shut both ends on the plug/pipe that threads in on the down pipe and then the other end thats screws into the egr valve.But idk what to do about the hose that hooked up to the egr metal line.IS it just a vaccum line?

I wouldn't do it. EGR is one of the few emissions devices that actually helps performance by (among other things) lowering combustion temps.

Well mines all :q:q:q:qed.Has any proved it pings or makes the car run worse?Ive done it to a number of other cars ive had and never had any bad side effects.Even did it to a few turbo cars.ANd never heard any pinging or cracked a ring land or anything.SO idk inless for some reason these cars have higher compression then a 2.0liter running 20lbs of boost. lol

Has any proved it pings or makes the car run worse?

you need to be proved?

egr does alot of things..

increases economy

reduces pumping losses which increases economy and part throttle performance.

allow engine to tolerate more spark at light and medium throttle angles, which increases performance

it decreases combustion chamber temps, which increases the engines tolerance to spark knock, thus increasing performance

egr is inactive at WOT, so you lose ZERO performance.

most people think that its operation hurts performance when that couldnt be further from the truth in a modern efi controlled engine.

removing egr on a modern engine is HACKWORK at best and not recommended by "those in the know!

You will need a tune so they can pull some timing out of light and medium throttle levels, this will cost you performance and economy.
You will need a tune to turn off the check engine light

so in short, its gonna cost you performance in daily driving
its gonna cost you money to have a tune made which will further decrease your performance due to lost spark timing and increased pumping losses

its a lose, lose, lose scenario

now most tuners wont tell you this, because they know that IF they do, you will likely go find another tuner, and they will lose a SALE to some other tuner that will simply "tell you what you want to hear".

so...they WILL make your custom tune for you, regardless if your car goes FASTER or SLOWER.

since i have no vested interest either way, i can give you the info, without having to worry if you "find another tooner" as i dont care.

in the 70's and 80's egr worked all the time and hurt performance..
this isn't the 70's or 80's...

What i was going to do was weld shut both ends on the plug/pipe that threads in on the down pipe and then the other end thats screws into the egr valve.But idk what to do about the hose that hooked up to the egr metal line.IS it just a vaccum line?

all of this will PISS YOUR PCM off.

it'll cost in the neighborhood off 300.00 to get your pcm "not pissed off"

if you FIX your egr, then the 300.00 tune can concentrate on making more power than trying to kill all the self inflicted spark knock.

Fix the egr, if its a street car

Members online

No members online now.
Back