Getting my windows tinted tomorrow..What am I missing?

grotty101

IS AWESOME
Reaction score
I've been searching the forums here at work, for the last hour, trying to find what I need to do to prep my '01 Sport for tint, at the tint shop tomorrow morning. All that I have come across is that I should remove my 3rd brake light before I go tomorrow. Is that all that i should need to remove before I go? I also have a spot where an antenna goes through my rear window.. (for my carphone connection i believe) can this be removed? Obviously theres nothing to remove on the side windows, but it leads me to what else I may forget..

If I get the front windshield strip, do I neet to take off the rearview mirror, or any of the little boxed around it? I've read on here they can just cut around it, but if they do that, will it just look bad like when they cut around the 3rd brake light?

I'll probly be late to work tomorrow, as is cause of my appt. but I will be back the day after with pics! :) Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions!

I usually remove the door panels. Thats probably not necessary, but I do it so that the tint shop doesnt damage the panels. I also clean the inside of the windows with acetone so that they are super clean. The tint shop will obviously clean them, but probably not as well as you can.

You should be fine with just taking out the 3rd brake light. Any tint shop will clean the windows and should go around the mirror stuff on the windshield. They have to go around it anyway as they won't be tinting over that box or attaching it back to the window film.

Just be sure to look it over and b!tch about any problems you see. Well ask questions about it anyway. They should warranty their work.

personally i would remove the 3rd brake. some shops do and some dont, i think it looks better when it is tinted rather than tinted around, but as this is also a safety issue its owner preference.

i would also remove the window fuses immediately after receiving the car back to make sure that you dont accidentally roll them down and mess them up for the couple of days after.

inspect the car thoroughly before and after to catch any mistakes or problems.

as far as the windshield, they will have to cut around it but it will be fine because of the factory dark spots around all of the crap on there.

and if you have a cellular antenna on you car, yes have it removed before (or during if possible) the job.

I had to remove my rear deck as the tint shop was not able to get all the way to the bottom of the window. They ended up cutting 3 rear window pieces before I accepted the work. First time, the power went out and I guess they had to trash the piece instead of saving it until I brought it back. Second time, they left a 1/2 inch gap at the bottom of the window that was not tinted, claiming that they could not get to that part. I asked them to cover it or repair it and they said they could not. I took out the rear seats and the rear deck and brought it back to them and they were able to correct their faulty work. There was no way I was going to accept a 1/2 inch gap of untinted window. The front windshield looks great, they simply cut the tint around the rear view mirror, where the factory tint is anyway.

personally i would remove the 3rd brake. some shops do and some dont, i think it looks better when it is tinted rather than tinted around, but as this is also a safety issue its owner preference.

i would also remove the window fuses immediately after receiving the car back to make sure that you dont accidentally roll them down and mess them up for the couple of days after.

inspect the car thoroughly before and after to catch any mistakes or problems.

as far as the windshield, they will have to cut around it but it will be fine because of the factory dark spots around all of the crap on there.

and if you have a cellular antenna on you car, yes have it removed before (or during if possible) the job.

Covering the switches with the blue no mar Painter's tape is a bit quicker than pulling fuses.Heat from the Sun has never affected mine in any of the vehicles I have owned over the last 20 years.

I usually remove the door panels. Thats probably not necessary, but I do it so that the tint shop doesnt damage the panels. I also clean the inside of the windows with acetone so that they are super clean. The tint shop will obviously clean them, but probably not as well as you can.

Thanks, windows are clean, unfortunatly I wont have the time to do the doorpanels.. I should have started on this sooner..

You should be fine with just taking out the 3rd brake light. Any tint shop will clean the windows and should go around the mirror stuff on the windshield. They have to go around it anyway as they won't be tinting over that box or attaching it back to the window film.

Just be sure to look it over and b!tch about any problems you see. Well ask questions about it anyway. They should warranty their work.

Thanks, I successfully got my 3rd brake light out after about 20 mins of monkeying with it! Ugh I'm not looking forward to putting it back in! Not afraid to raise a stink if I don't like what im seeing

Covering the switches with the blue no mar Painter's tape is a bit quicker than pulling fuses.Heat from the Sun has never affected mine in any of the vehicles I have owned over the last 20 years.

I'll be pulling the fuses anyways since I have a 4 year old who will peel the tape off and try and play with the windows.. They put stickers over the window switches anyways that say not to use the windows for "X" amount of time..

If anyone else thinks of anything else please feel free to comment!

Ive seen people just not paying attention and mess up new windows that had tape over the switches, it only takes a minute or two to look up which fuses they are and then open the trunk, remove the cover and yank the fuses. better to be safe than sorry.

Ive seen people just not paying attention and mess up new windows that had tape over the switches, it only takes a minute or two to look up which fuses they are and then open the trunk, remove the cover and yank the fuses. better to be safe than sorry.[/QUOTE

A long piece of that tape would take real effort to mess up. Like pawing at the switches like a dog who wants inside. LOL.

Well guys, everything went absolutely awesome today so I thought I would share my results.. Llumar 35% rear, sides, and front window strip.. They did an awesome job, and even got my antenna off for me, I had been having problems getting off.. PITA

Anyways..

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled.jpg

IMG_20120626_1830201-1.jpg

IMG_20120626_1831041.jpg

I should have had my fogs and headlights smoked by now too, but Lamin-X fudged my order and i have to wait for it to ship again!

Last edited:
Nice wheels.

It's funny you did 35% all around. That's what I have now, and I'm hating it. I want limo on the rear doors and the rear window. That's what I have on my Navigator, and in Texas summer (such as the 106º we hit yesterday) that Limo tint makes a HUGE difference! I have to come up with the money though. The shop wants $75/hr just to remove the old stuff. I haven't asked anyone else, but that can get expensive VERY quickly!

Nice wheels.

It's funny you did 35% all around. That's what I have now, and I'm hating it. I want limo on the rear doors and the rear window. That's what I have on my Navigator, and in Texas summer (such as the 106º we hit yesterday) that Limo tint makes a HUGE difference! I have to come up with the money though. The shop wants $75/hr just to remove the old stuff. I haven't asked anyone else, but that can get expensive VERY quickly!

Just get a cheap steamer and remove it yourself. Then remove the adhesive with goo gone. That's what I did on my old car.

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I get compliments on my car quite a bit but it means alot more coming from the guys here @ LVC

Nice wheels.

I would have liked to go darker but Wisconsin law only allows 35% on the rear, and 50% up front.. windshield strip can be whatever.. I hate the look of 2 different tints on the front and rear, so I went 35 all around.. I live in a town of about 2000 people, and my car already screams "pull me over!!" So i didn't want to be to obvious.. lol. I really need to move..

Good lookin car grotty. Imo that strip should be significantly lower.

Nice wheels.

Dont wanna try removing it yourself? In that type of heat, assuming the tint already on is of good quality, removal should be quick and painless. I was surprised when i took my windshield tint off that it stayed together (most of it anyway). When i did my rears in 40 degree weather....wtf the whole time. Just kept breakin off.

It's not about the tint % as much as it is about solar heat rejection. More expensive films (such as Huper Optik, Formula One) tend to have greater heat rejection abilities than those of cheap films. For example, my 80% windshield tint rejects more heat than the 35% on the rest of my car.

The shop I'm going to supposedly uses 3M. Can't wait. I don't know if it's good or bad tint, but it doesn't block enough of the heat. Also, having a black car, I think it will look better.

Members online

No members online now.
Back