Getrag clutch and flywheel(pics)

I was wondering.. how similar this guy may or may not be.

Perhaps some mixture of mustang/LS parts would work..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3PDS_ZPGyE

(mustang 3.7 flywheel)
Looks like folks are already making solid flywheels for the mustangs
The mustang disks are listed at 9.5 inch, as is the Lincoln (depending on who you believe, from 9 5/16 - 9 1/2) I believe..

This brings in the thought of grabbing a mustang 6 speed as well, but I _think_ i read somewhere else on the forums that the mustang bolt pattern doesn't match with the one we have.

(pipe dream is the 3.7 turbo in the LS of course with a 6 speed.. too many electronics tho...)

Yeah, the bellhousing on the 3.9L is unique to itself. Nothing else will match up to it other then Jaguar stuff. I think it's 18 bolts in the bellhousing or something like that.

What's stopping us from just CNCing an adapter plate (besides money)? I figure it like this: We have the 5r55 series transmission, as does the Mustang (2005-2009?). If a 5r55 works in the Mustang, than whatever manual offered at the same time should work in the LS as far as size goes, no? There was someone here trying to fit a TR3650, but I don't think that was conclusive. Members debated internal slave cylinder vs detachable bell housing (was that with a T5?). Why not just use an adapter plate made from 3/8" or 1/2" steel or aluminum plate like these: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0171/2992/products/KA_adapter_1024x1024.jpg?v=1380049733

I get that the transmission is expensive and there are a number of parts to mount or relocate, but I would think someone here would have done it. Am I missing something? Give me an engine and a suitable transmission to measure and I could draw it up in CAD. A CNC shop will just use a waterjet to cut the part out of a plate. If my transmission goes before something else catastrophic, I'll at least investigate it. For now, though, I like having my car put together again and I'm not at a level where I can just pop the transmission out of the car. I don't like talking about baseless plans, but since we're on the topic...

Yeah, the bellhousing on the 3.9L is unique to itself. Nothing else will match up to it other then Jaguar stuff. I think it's 18 bolts in the bellhousing or something like that.

I think you guys are missing the point of the thread :)

This was to find a similar dual mass flywheel for those of us already lucky enough to have a 5 speed stick.
(and unlucky enough to have less power)

So the question is more bell housing of 3.7 vs 3.0, which i think i read somewhere are different.. although not 100% sure.

I had one shop tell me that if I come up dry on my search to bring them the flywheel and they'll give it the best shot they can. That same shop said that it looks like the clutch was installed wrong or something because a few of the fingers on the pressure plate were bent. Maybe the clutch disk has changed and the flywheel wasn't resurfaced and/or the pressure plate wasn't replaced.

Taking the transmission out was real easy, easiest I've ever done. I do have a few pointers.
1.Know that the starter has 3 bolts that hold it on and the top one will be hard to get if you have large fingers.
2.The top two bolts on the bell housing are hard to get to. The driver side I used a long extension and universal joint. The passenger side I was able to get a ratchet up there and remove it.
3. There are two bolts the bolt from the engine side to the bell housing.
4. The electrical connectors are easy, just press on the metal retainer and it releases.
5. For the slave cylinder hydraulic connector use a small slot screwdriver to press the metal retainer out. Same with the gear shifter clip.
6. The gear shifter mounting pin must be be rotated clockwise(viewed from driver side). I used a small slot screwdriver to pry the clip back so it can me rotated. It slides right out after this.
7. Make sure all the electrical wire holders, such as those the hold the O2 sensor wires are removed from the transmission and free from obstructing the transmission removal.
8. Make sure to slide the drive shaft back and out of the way.

I took it out with the rear transmission frame attached, but you can remove it was you probably won't need to to help you take it down. The transmission is not very heavy. I had a friend help me out, but now I know I could take it out by myself if I had to.

Time wise it took me about three hours total, taking my time to not miss anything and removing the pressure plate. I could probably do it in half that time if I had all the tools ready to go this time. I did have to buy new universal joints and extensions because mine were gone :(

I can do a writeup with pictures of the install if you guys seriously want me to.

Can you give more details on the slave and shifter? Where are the clips you push out with the screwdriver?

Can you give more details on the slave and shifter? Where are the clips you push out with the screwdriver?
I think you are referring to the linkage and reference stability rod for push out clips. You need to go under the car and see the rods and then you will see what he was talking about. Mechanicboy hasn't been active here in quite a while. Also there is a captive connection on the slave cylinder/throwout bearing. You just need to look at these parts to see what they look like. If it is dirty and you cannot see them, clean them thoroughly before disassembling. Once you get the transmission off, you will have a good view of how the throwout is attached.

I think you are referring to the linkage and reference stability rod for push out clips. You need to go under the car and see the rods and then you will see what he was talking about. Mechanicboy hasn't been active here in quite a while. Also there is a captive connection on the slave cylinder/throwout bearing. You just need to look at these parts to see what they look like. If it is dirty and you cannot see them, clean them thoroughly before disassembling. Once you get the transmission off, you will have a good view of how the throwout is attached.

I've been under the car. There are two ends to the linkage, one by the shifter and one on top of the trans. Which end are we talking about. The one on top of the trans is not that easy to see as the trans is in the way.

Members online

Back