Getrag clutch and flywheel(pics)

Mechanicboy

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Finally removed everything out of the garage and removed the transmission and clutch from my LS. I'm going out to a few places tomorrow to see if I can find any luck locally.

If anyone has the torque spec for the flywheel, clutch pressure plate, etc please post them.

I don't think this was the original clutch, unless LUK made it as the pressure plate is stamped LUK.

I just noticed that the dates are off, these were all taken today, 03/18/2010

DSCN3103.jpg

DSCN3104.jpg

DSCN3107.jpg

DSCN3105.jpg

DSCN3108.jpg

DSCN3111.jpg

DSCN3115.jpg

Damn. where was this when toast needed it. He just bought one for 725sh plus shipping.

I'm still searching for flywheels. Clutches aren't the problem unless the new flywheel requires a different clutch. I'm currently looking at flywheels for a Mercury Cougar 2.5L. I'm pretty sure I've ruled out a mazda 6 flywheel.

I also MIGHT have a brand spanking new dual mass flywheel for far less then $1000. My searches have shown me that a grand for a DM flywheel is normal.

the amount of clutch dust and hot spots on the clutch suggests that it was either slipping for some time, or you need to learn how to operate a clutch!!!

I think it was like that before I bought it. I only tried to race it once against my brother and that's the first time I felt it slip. Then a few months later When I was getting onto the highway it began to slip under high throttle. It drove fine under light throttle and wouldn't slip and I don't ride the clutch when I'm driving so It's not that.

I just found a local supplier that has a Mercury Cougar flywheel instock but they close in 1 minute so I won't be able to check it out until monday. Expect an update either monday or tuesday as monday is already a very busy day for me.

HEY GUYS! That clutch kit for $125 WON'T WORK on our car, will NOT work. The clutch on ebay is a 23 spline while the one in our cars is a 10 spine. Compare the pictures on ebay to the ones I posted above.

DON"T BUY IT FOR AN LS. My finding show that the 23 spline is for FWD/AWD cars.

Well abused clutch for sure. Is the flywheel resurfaceable? I know it's been that way for awhile, and someone else put the lion's share of miles on that car, but that clutch is way overdue!

How long did it take to get that out, and are there any gotchas on the bell housing bolts or anything?

Well abused clutch for sure. Is the flywheel resurfaceable? I know it's been that way for awhile, and someone else put the lion's share of miles on that car, but that clutch is way overdue!

How long did it take to get that out, and are there any gotchas on the bell housing bolts or anything?

I had one shop tell me that if I come up dry on my search to bring them the flywheel and they'll give it the best shot they can. That same shop said that it looks like the clutch was installed wrong or something because a few of the fingers on the pressure plate were bent. Maybe the clutch disk has changed and the flywheel wasn't resurfaced and/or the pressure plate wasn't replaced.

Taking the transmission out was real easy, easiest I've ever done. I do have a few pointers.
1.Know that the starter has 3 bolts that hold it on and the top one will be hard to get if you have large fingers.
2.The top two bolts on the bell housing are hard to get to. The driver side I used a long extension and universal joint. The passenger side I was able to get a ratchet up there and remove it.
3. There are two bolts the bolt from the engine side to the bell housing.
4. The electrical connectors are easy, just press on the metal retainer and it releases.
5. For the slave cylinder hydraulic connector use a small slot screwdriver to press the metal retainer out. Same with the gear shifter clip.
6. The gear shifter mounting pin must be be rotated clockwise(viewed from driver side). I used a small slot screwdriver to pry the clip back so it can me rotated. It slides right out after this.
7. Make sure all the electrical wire holders, such as those the hold the O2 sensor wires are removed from the transmission and free from obstructing the transmission removal.
8. Make sure to slide the drive shaft back and out of the way.

I took it out with the rear transmission frame attached, but you can remove it was you probably won't need to to help you take it down. The transmission is not very heavy. I had a friend help me out, but now I know I could take it out by myself if I had to.

Time wise it took me about three hours total, taking my time to not miss anything and removing the pressure plate. I could probably do it in half that time if I had all the tools ready to go this time. I did have to buy new universal joints and extensions because mine were gone :(

I can do a writeup with pictures of the install if you guys seriously want me to.

It would be interesting to see this in more detail. I am pretty sure I will be doing the same thing in the next 12 months or so.

BTW, Good catch on the clutch splines! Who knew!

The mercury flywheel is a no go. The mercury has a stock single mass so it doesn't have the thickness to work. A spacer won't work because the starter won't work after that.

BUT, this got me thinking about starters, what if the diameter of the flywheel on another vehicle is that same as the LS but just has a different ring gear? Maybe I could use a starter from that other vehicle.

I also took my flywheel to a local machine shop and they said they couldn't do it. They said that they couldn't get the machine any closer then .020 runout or something so they couldn't do it. I might try other shops. It's been suggested to me to try a diesel shop. This might be a good idea as diesels often have dual mass flywheels these days, so maybe.

The search continues.

I have torque specs for you.

Flywheel bolts 59 ft lbs

Pressure plate bolt 17 ft lbs

You should try and call this company here is their website http://www.ddperformance.com/ I know they mainly deal with mustangs, but it's worth a try. They're really helpful and friendly. I called them when I had a mustang, and they will do their best to find you what you need.

Check out what the mail brought today. Brand spanking new. I got this for a steal of a price.

DSCN3148.jpg

DSCN3149.jpg

DSCN3150.jpg

Stock jag S-type flywheel. It's the sister car to the LS. It's still a dual mass.

My findings with changing starters to make flywheels with different ring gear work with the LS were that the FWD starters mount over the transmission(not parallel to the engine block like the LS). Mazda/ranger starter was threaded to be bolted from behind the transmission and on the LS the transmission bell housing is threaded and the starter bolts to it. The mazda/ranger starter might have been able to be modified but just from looking at it it didn't quite look like all the holes would line up.

Update.

The S-type flywheel installed great. The Sachs Clutch kit bolted right up. The only problem I have is I forgot the order a new rear seal for the trans so now I have to wait for that :(

Shouldn't be this hard to find parts for a car. It really shouldn't.

Helluva lot of leg work you did here, not including the actual labor.

Nice job and glad it's all coming together for you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back